60-day Tourist Visa, 30-day Visa Interleave?

I am a 47 year-old US citizen currently staying in The Kingdom on my 2nd of four (4) 60-day Tourist Visas. An issue arises next month when I return from my next "visa run." Upon my return, visa #3 (of 4) will be implemented. And there's the catch.

Two weeks after I return to Thailand, friends from the US are coming to visit. My friends want to go to Viet Nam during their visit here and I would like to join them. I hate to "burn" a 60 day visa for just two weeks in country, since I would only be using about 14 days of my 60 day visa.

My question:

Is there a way I can get a 30-day visa upon my return from the "visa run" without resorting to the 3rd, 60-day visa? If this is legal, it would allow me to leave two weeks later with my friends, THEN use the 60-day visa upon my return to Thailand.

I am planning to do Singapore for a visa run but will entertain any and all ports to make this work.

You can ask immigration to give you a 30 day stamp when you return rather than use your visa but it is up to them and how they feel. If that does not work you can obtain a re entry permit prior to Vietnam travel at the cost of 1,000 baht and a photo to allow you to come back on the same 60 day entry stamp rather than lose it.

Lop reason i didnt mention the re-entry permit is that it/ll be a waste of money if his visa has expired after 6 months he may as well just use the last 2 entries. We could also do with knowing if he has been extending by 30 days on the first 2 entries as this would push him closer towards expiry date of the visa.

Edited by thaiflyer1

As i thought sounds like it has expired already on Feb 8th.........thats 6 months from date of issue. The rule is you have 6 months to use all 4 entries. Have you just extended by 30 days at local immigration?........Or better still what is the exact date you must exit Thailand (stamped in your passport).

To answer your question ThaiFlier1:

I have extended each of the first two visas by 30 days each. Right now, I have to exit Thailand on March 9, 2005.

Why would the Thai Consulate issue me four, 60-day tourist visas that would take me two months past the expiration date? Thus rendering the 4th visa obsolete upon issue.

My original plan was to extend all four visas in this manner, doing visa runs every 90 days. This would have allowed me to stay for a year before going back to the US.

Is this plan flawed?

I think you have misunderstood the intention of the visa you hold...........the idea is you apply for a 4 entry visa if you want to travel in and out of Thailand 4 times making the last entry just before the 6 month utilise date comes around. The visa is not issued with the intention that it enables you to stay here for in effect a year. The longest you can hope to stay for is 9 months....by applying for a triple entry and utilising the last entry just before the visa expires (6 months from date of issue). You say you are due to exit on March 9th so presumably you have just extended by 30 days locally. Your going to have to decide what you want to do............come 9th March you are going to have to start border running every 30 days (not an ideal situation) or alternatively consider going down to Penang to apply for another double entry tourist visa which will give you another 6 months stay effectively. You could also consider applying for your next tourist visa in Vietnam while you are there. So you do have a few options open to you.

thaiflyer1 has it right. You do not have any valid visa now and when you exit next you will either need to obtain a new visa or a 30 day stamp.

Do you have 3 million baht you can invest? If so you should talk with immigration in Bangkok to try and obtain one year extensions of stay. If not you do not have much choice under age 50; unless you want to set up a company and work (but that will also involve investment).

The alternative is multi entry O visa, usually from your home country, if you can find a Consulate willing to issue one. With that you have to do 90 day visa runs but you have a little more freedom than tourist type.