Update On Just The 3 Local Murders

sagaris

In life things strike a chord and then perhaps fade away.

a/ I wonder whether anyone has any updates on the confessed murderer of gary portensky here in chiang mai. Hows the australian

assailant doing. Is he out? is he going to bars that I should Know about. ( dont mention any kind of war with this fellow. Look it up on u tube.)

b/ leon killed in pai. hows the policeman that shot him. is he ok?

c/ the piano teacher here in chiang mai. any arrests ?

i just wonder how is every one doing.

It seems to me that there is a great outpouring of emotions and opinions on thai visa when these crimes happen. BUt soon forgotten.

Try investigateudom.com for some people who want justice

they dont seem to be giving up. Good for them..............

anyway ........................................

Edited by sagaris
forum rules do not allow URL's in posts

And I would also like an update and conclusion as to what happened in Phuket with the girl who died and also her neighbor in the adjacent room ???? Evrybody went on and on with conclusions and theories but what was the end conclusion....Anybody know ? About her or the other girl who also died ...? Does anybody care after all the posts that were there to conclude the cause (s) ????

Right ...where is everybody now and today ...?

a/ I wonder whether anyone has any updates on the confessed murderer of gary portensky here in chiang mai. Hows the australian

assailant doing. Is he out? is he going to bars that I should Know about. ( dont mention any kind of war with this fellow. Look it up on u tube.)

It seems to me that there is a great outpouring of emotions and opinions on thai visa when these crimes happen. BUt soon forgotten.

Even though I still grieve for David, the piano man, the guilty party does not interest me. Personally I am not interested in revenge - that does not bring back the person who is sorely missed.

I think the point being made by the op - and if it isn't, i'll make it - is that when an event like this happens there are plenty of people coming up with their opinions and lots of speculation ( no problem with that, everyone is entitled to an opinion ) , then it escalates and people start becoming judge jury coroner and professional sleuth. having made accusations they are completly uninterested in following up to see if their ideas were in fact correct.

in many cases much that is written is defamatory, sometimes stopped by the mods, sometimes not.

Even though I still grieve for David, the piano man, the guilty party does not interest me. Personally I am not interested in revenge - that does not bring back the person who is sorely missed.

It certainly might stop the guilty party from ending anyone else's life. He should be brought to justice.

I think the point being made by the op - and if it isn't, i'll make it - is that when an event like this happens there are plenty of people coming up with their opinions and lots of speculation ( no problem with that, everyone is entitled to an opinion ) , then it escalates and people start becoming judge jury coroner and professional sleuth. having made accusations they are completly uninterested in following up to see if their ideas were in fact correct.

in many cases much that is written is defamatory, sometimes stopped by the mods, sometimes not.

How true.

Same with drug dealers/users...

Khun Sagaris wrote :

Khun Caf wrote :

when an event like this happens there are plenty of people coming up with their opinions and lots of speculation ( no problem with that, everyone is entitled to an opinion ) , then it escalates and people start becoming judge jury coroner and professional sleuth. having made accusations they are completly uninterested in following up to see if their ideas were in fact correct. in many cases much that is written is defamatory, sometimes stopped by the mods, sometimes not.

Vague guilt trips help whom with what ? Why demonstrate the behavior you imply others SHOULD exhibit when you can bitch and moan and issue chatty indictments of people you don't know ? I think TV needs a sub-forum titled "Static" (and, yes, I realize that I-and-I might well belong there myselves, sometimes).

~o:37;

In the case of David Crisp's murder, my understanding is that the people who did it have been arrested. There is plenty of evidence against them and they have confessed. I have not heard that they have been tried yet---has anyone else heard about a trial? In view of the evidence and confessions I would expect the trial to be brief. Neil

Anyone know what did become of the investigation on David Crisp the piano teacher??

In the case of David Crisp's murder, my understanding is that the people who did it have been arrested. There is plenty of evidence against them and they have confessed. I have not heard that they have been tried yet---has anyone else heard about a trial? In view of the evidence and confessions I would expect the trial to be brief. Neil

Heard some disturbing rumours recently that all may not be as it seems :D alledgedly the justice system is operating true to form :)

Heard some disturbing rumours recently that all may not be as it seems :D alledgedly the justice system is operating true to form :)

What sort of rumours? Please be more specific. There are plenty of rumours going around about almost anything, most of them with no basis in fact (witness all the unfounded speculation that was written on this topic on Thai Visa after the murder). Do the rumours you are talking about come from a source who might actually know something? My understanding is that this is an open and shut case and the accused are not people with any sort of influence who might be able to affect the justice system. What have you heard that is contrary to this and that is credible?

What sort of rumours? Please be more specific. There are plenty of rumours going around about almost anything, most of them with no basis in fact (witness all the unfounded speculation that was written on this topic on Thai Visa after the murder). Do the rumours you are talking about come from a source who might actually know something? My understanding is that this is an open and shut case and the accused are not people with any sort of influence who might be able to affect the justice system. What have you heard that is contrary to this and that is credible?

Neilrob, a lot has been written on the thai justice system. Think in a thai way not an american way

My understanding is there were three assailants of which only two are in jail. The third one, who alledgedly slit David's throat, seems to have been forgotten now sufficient time has passed for the case to slip from public attention. I scincerely hope I'm wrong but..............

My understanding is that they originally arrested two of them. The third fled to Burma. The police deliberately downplayed his role with the hope he would try and return to Thailand, believing that he was not being actively sought. He fell for it and tried to cross the border, was arrested at the border post and is in custody. Don't believe rumours!

Neilrob, a lot has been written on the thai justice system. Think in a thai way not an american way

What on earth is that supposed to mean? It certainly shows a very patronising attitude---you are saying how much more you know about Thailand because you know how to think in a "Thai" way while I am stuck with an "American" way---are you really Thai?. The question is whether the rumours referred to by Paagai have any foundation. How does a "Thai" way of thinking versus an "American" way of thinking, whatever those are, affect the truth or falseness of a rumour? It is either true or false (this one is false). What makes you think I'm American? Maybe you think I am a Thai who thinks like an American---I would think the way I spell "rumours" would make you wonder, if you stopped to think before posting (either in a Thai way or an American way. or whatever nationality you are way).

What on earth is that supposed to mean? It certainly shows a very patronising attitude---you are saying how much more you know about Thailand because you know how to think in a "Thai" way while I am stuck with an "American" way---are you really Thai?. The question is whether the rumours referred to by Paagai have any foundation. How does a "Thai" way of thinking versus an "American" way of thinking, whatever those are, affect the truth or falseness of a rumour? It is either true or false (this one is false). What makes you think I'm American? Maybe you think I am a Thai who thinks like an American---I would think the way I spell "rumours" would make you wonder, if you stopped to think before posting (either in a Thai way or an American way. or whatever nationality you are way).

A brilliant example of muddled thinking!

Paagai may be right, he may not be. But he seems to understand the thai way. You do not.

You need to read too, I did not say you were American.

My understanding is that they originally arrested two of them. The third fled to Burma. The police deliberately downplayed his role with the hope he would try and return to Thailand, believing that he was not being actively sought. He fell for it and tried to cross the border, was arrested at the border post and is in custody. Don't believe rumours!

Believe me, I would be exceedingly happy to know the above was true, but I have niether seen nor heard anything to confirm that it is. Surely, given the high profile of the case the Police would have announced the capture of the third suspect and paraded him before the cameras in the usual kudos grabbing PR Thai style way? Can you point to a single piece of evidence that this guy was caught or is in Jail right now? Or is what you're saying also just a rumour?

• 4 weeks later...

Believe me, I would be exceedingly happy to know the above was true, but I have niether seen nor heard anything to confirm that it is. Surely, given the high profile of the case the Police would have announced the capture of the third suspect and paraded him before the cameras in the usual kudos grabbing PR Thai style way? Can you point to a single piece of evidence that this guy was caught or is in Jail right now? Or is what you're saying also just a rumour?

I hope they find and convict the true perpretators too, Paagai but it may not happen.

In the west murder cases may be scaled down after a time if there are no leeds but very rarely are they ever closed. sadly we tend to think it is the same here

I hope they find and convict the true perpretators too, Paagai but it may not happen.

In the west murder cases may be scaled down after a time if there are no leeds but very rarely are they ever closed. sadly we tend to think it is the same here

Sad indeed; I wouldn't put the odds of the third guy getting caught as too high :)

Edited by Paagai

• 2 weeks later...

Sad indeed; I wouldn't put the odds of the third guy getting caught as too high :)

Maybe Drummond has some up to date news. He is a bit of a terrier sometimes in not letting things get dropped from the news.

There are also the cases of the Canadian man shot dead on a taxi one year ago and the Welsh girl who was raped and murdered at the Arrie guesthouse about 10 years ago. None of these murders were ever concluded, as far as I can remember, but correct me if I’m wrong.

It’s mostly down to the incompetence of the police and bad journalism.

The Thai police don’t seem to have the incentives or the enthusiasm to perform thorough investigations and unless a case contains some sensationalism, the press quickly lose interest and the story fades away.

Knowing Thailand as I do and now I’m thinking as myself, not as a Thai or any other national, the deceased family and friends may benefit by visiting and prodding the police up their backsides, so to speak, in order to push through a result with these cases. This of course being Thailand, a few bob under the counter may also help, because that’s the way things are done here. Not my way of thinking but is the facts. But perhaps this has already been done, if so, let us hope that there is some sort of breakthough in the foreseeable future.

I sincerely hope that in my case, my family and I never full foul of the law or become a victim of crime in Thailand; as to obtain any sort of justice here can be a costly long winded battle.

My heartfelt condolences and sympathy for the tragic victims and the suffering caused to those close to them.

Edited by sassienie

There are also the cases of the Canadian man shot dead on a taxi one year ago and the Welsh girl who was raped and murdered at the Arrie guesthouse about 10 years ago. None of these murders were ever concluded, as far as I can remember, but correct me if I’m wrong.

It’s mostly down to the incompetence of the police and bad journalism.

The Thai police don’t seem to have the incentives or the enthusiasm to perform thorough investigations and unless a case contains some sensationalism, the press quickly lose interest and the story fades away.

Knowing Thailand as I do and now I’m thinking as myself, not as a Thai or any other national, the deceased family and friends may benefit by visiting and prodding the police up their backsides, so to speak, in order to push through a result with these cases. This of course being Thailand, a few bob under the counter may also help, because that’s the way things are done here. Not my way of thinking but is the facts. But perhaps this has already been done, if so, let us hope that there is some sort of breakthough in the foreseeable future.

I sincerely hope that in my case, my family and I never full foul of the law or become a victim of crime in Thailand; as to obtain any sort of justice here can be a costly long winded battle.

My heartfelt condolences and sympathy for the tragic victims and the suffering caused to those close to them.

While journalists may be poorly trained, there are also other factors to consider when looking at investigative journalism in this country.

Such as defamation charges: http://www.cijmalaysia.org/content/view/184/25/

and murder: http://arabia.reporters-sans-frontieres.or...d_article=28841

http://www.rsf.org/Journalist-murdered-in-resort-city.html

http://www.newssafety.org/index.php?option...p;Itemid=100404

The Canadian shot in the back of a songtaew in Sankampaeng didn't die as far as I know.

I think the British authorities are waiting to DNA test a certain Thai Tourist Policeman but unfortunately the Thai authorities can't find him!!! Maybe one of those farang volunteers could help.... the British police I mean, not the Thai policeman of course.

Don't forget Englishman Keith Tate murdered by a hitman in 1998. His wife's a lovely woman. :)

Edited by Loaded

While journalists may be poorly trained, there are also other factors to consider when looking at investigative journalism in this country.

Such as defamation charges: http://www.cijmalaysia.org/content/view/184/25/

A qualifier in defamation criminal law and civil law is if there was a reason to state the allegedly defamatory words. A journalist wouldn't be found guilty for reporting a story with sources. The above shows how the defamation laws were used by Thaksin to intimidate the Thai press. I don't believe the cases resulted in guilty verdicts for the journalists but unless their publisher and editor soundly backed them, especially financially, they would feel scared.

Don't forget conflicts of interest :D

This of course being Thailand, a few bob under the counter may also help, because that’s the way things are done here. Not my way of thinking but is the facts.

Indeed :)