Thai Public Tv Is Trash!

george

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TV is trash!

...Trashy shows and too many advertisements are dragging down the quality of free TV channels, according to a survey by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation...

Keep the people dumb and give them bread and games. Already known in ancient Rome. The best way to gain power and control.

They did the same thing with the French...long long ago. Then look what happened! :)

the thick of it, the office, the mighty boosh, blackadder, ideal, extras, state of play, little britain, red dwarf are some good uk tv shows that come to mind.

And how about Absolutely fabulous, Only Fools and Horses, Men behaving badly, Prime suspect, Faulty Towers........

Totally agree with most posters, tv here is tosh. Its okay watching light entertainment but not every waking hour. Whos making the in depth documentaries about riots in Bkk and trouble in th south etc. Of all the great tv programmes mentioned in this thread they are nearly all about cerebal humour and a little visual humour.

Whereas thai tv is purely visual or put better slapstick, it does not require you to think. Case in point being that Mr Bean is the most popular foreign programme in Thailand.

Just of track slightly the best new programme they could create here is a Thai 'Question Time' were politicians get a public grilling from a Robin Day type character with the audience throwing in their two penneth worth. I would have to sit on the floor ....scared of rolling off the chair in hysterical fits of laughter

US tv has absolutely nothing over quality BBC productions

I'll give it another try. What would you recommend?

When BBC entertainment on True was free before the official launch, it was dreadful, in my opinion.

I can't think of any Brit show that has made any acceptance outside their own borders in recent years, and I don't mean game shows like "who wants to me millionaire" or the "weakest link". I can't stand them as a matter of principle.

Can't argue with you about "Millionaire and "Weakest link" but please don't judge UK TV by those or most things that were on BBC entertainment. The thing about the BBC is they they are still an independent public service broadcasting company and as such are not pressured by advertisers to produce dross for the masses as their main source of finance is by an annual license fee paid by every viewer. There is some contoversy over this in the UK and it doesn't mean that they don't produce dross at times because they certainly do but they are more prepared to take risks and be experimental with some of their productions for screening outside prime time. Although the quality has fallen over recent years as have all countries, there is no question that they produce some high quality stuff.

As an example, if you can get hold of it try the series "The Tudors". Although a totally different Genre it certainly compares very favourably with "24" which in my view was the best thing to come out of the US in recent years.

I've seen Blackadder and Fawlty Towers.

Are you serious???

I mean they could have been revolutionary thirty years ago, but who'd watch them now????

Is there anything contemporary that wouldn't look like high school production? I'd like to give it a try - it's off season for most popular shows now.

Totally agree with most posters, tv here is tosh. Its okay watching light entertainment but not every waking hour. Whos making the in depth documentaries about riots in Bkk and trouble in th south etc. Of all the great tv programmes mentioned in this thread they are nearly all about cerebal humour and a little visual humour.

Whereas thai tv is purely visual or put better slapstick, it does not require you to think. Case in point being that Mr Bean is the most popular foreign programme in Thailand.

Just of track slightly the best new programme they could create here is a Thai 'Question Time' were politicians get a public grilling from a Robin Day type character with the audience throwing in their two penneth worth. I would have to sit on the floor ....scared of rolling off the chair in hysterical fits of laughter

Great idea but can you imagine any Thai politician subjecting themselves to that ordeal and trying to explain the logic of most of the laws they pass.

On the surface The Tudors sound as exciting as The Age of innocence, nothing like 24. Mind you I didn't think of House MD much, until I saw for myself that it's a lot more than another medical tv show. The man's brilliant, not matter what he does, medicine is just a backdrop.

So, what is it about Tudors, really?

Last season of 24 was about exploiting a cliche and totally predictable. They solve the first problem by episode 6, get a bigger one that they solve by episode 18, then there's a big betrayal and a sudden happy ending.

I've seen Blackadder and Fawlty Towers.

Are you serious???

I mean they could have been revolutionary thirty years ago, but who'd watch them now????

Is there anything contemporary that wouldn't look like high school production? I'd like to give it a try - it's off season for most popular shows now.

OK Plus so put your money where your mouth is - what would be your suggestions be. Sure they are a bit dated now but in their time great shows and I seem to recall that "Monty Python" was one of the most popular shows in America back in the sixties

On the surface The Tudors sound as exciting as The Age of innocence, nothing like 24. Mind you I didn't think of House MD much, until I saw for myself that it's a lot more than another medical tv show. The man's brilliant, not matter what he does, medicine is just a backdrop.

So, what is it about Tudors, really?

Last season of 24 was about exploiting a cliche and totally predictable. They solve the first problem by episode 6, get a bigger one that they solve by episode 18, then there's a big betrayal and a sudden happy ending.

Yeah I'm only up to about series 4 and must admit the plot is becoming a bit samey.

The Tudors is, as you might expect, the reign of Henry VIII.

Been done before I know but it's brilliantly produced, acted and shot. I realise it's more likely to be appreciated by Brits as it's our history but surely anyone can appreciate quality work even if not so interested in the storyline.

Mind you I'm one of those sad <deleted> who sing Karaoke so what do I know?

There are some good current affairs programmes on Thai PBS and NBT, for some unknown reason they moved back the times of the nightly programmes but they're there if you know where to look.

For channel 3 the best programmes begin at 4.00am, a news programme about Thailand, followed by foreign news with 2 Thai presenters. At that time of the day adverts are few and far between and the presenters have time to go into things in depth. Once Sorrayuth hits the screen at 6.00 am adverts take over for the rest of the day.

Channel 9 has some interesting stuff, Khao Khon Khon Khao aired nightly Mon to Fri, is often worth watching as the 3 journalists know their stuff.

I thought Aussie soaps were moronic until I came to Thailand. Don't wanna bring out the IQ argument again, but really, how mentally challenged do you have to be to get enjoyment out of Thai soaps.

You haven't been in Thailand long have you?

It's got nothing to do with IQ, it's a cultural thing. How many Australians got pleasure from Prisoner Cell Block H? Thais would think we were moronic - maybe we are.

There are some good current affairs programmes on Thai PBS and NBT, for some unknown reason they moved back the times of the nightly programmes but they're there if you know where to look.

For channel 3 the best programmes begin at 4.00am, a news programme about Thailand, followed by foreign news with 2 Thai presenters. At that time of the day adverts are few and far between and the presenters have time to go into things in depth. Once Sorrayuth hits the screen at 6.00 am adverts take over for the rest of the day.

Channel 9 has some interesting stuff, Khao Khon Khon Khao aired nightly Mon to Fri, is often worth watching as the 3 journalists know their stuff.

Right on Bannork!

There is good stuff on TV. The ones who moan about it are those who are probably married to a stupid woman and their only exposure is to the trash.

Mr Plus

I won't waste your time pointing you at british comedy, as a yank it will go over your head. :D

As for drama, posters have mentioned some excellent shows.

If you are in to educational stuff (travel, natural world, science) the BBC is second to none :)

I thought Aussie soaps were moronic until I came to Thailand. Don't wanna bring out the IQ argument again, but really, how mentally challenged do you have to be to get enjoyment out of Thai soaps.

Google "iq of thai students" for some illuminating reading......

Did you notice almost all Thai soaps have only 4 main characters?

1. The beautiful young heroine, dove-eyed, and love-sick.
  2. The handsome young man, for some reason, always in a hospital bed.
  3. The angry middle-aged father who is always slapping around his...
  4. ...bitchy middle-aged wife.

Conflict between character #2 and #3 is always a given, as is between #1 and #4.

All the soaps: Same, same. Not different.

You forgot the good looking but slightly hard faced lady who hates the young heroine and tries to steal the handsome young man from her.

There is also the quirky gay guy, usually friend of the young heroine and the slightly less good looking but very cute young friend of the young heroine who falls for the not as good looking friend of the handsome young man.

The good looking but slightly hard faced lady(who sticks out her chin like Michael Schumacher whilst deep in thought or when she has been caught out) also has a mother who schemes on her behalf to advance her interests with the handsome young man.

Throw in a trip to Paris, unless it's a historical costume drama, and recycle ad infinitum.

sounds like you guys been watching a load of that pap smear.

You can't avoid it. Apparently, you have yet to visit a restaurant, barber shop, or government office, where this drivel is broadcast 24/7.

One reason that Thai soaps are so crappy is that they are forbidden to feature:

1. Sex

2. Drugs

3. Religion

4. Politics...

5 .. and, of course, VVIP

What are you left with? Silly romantic spats, silly filial piety upsets, naughty children, cranky disapproving old aunties, bullying rich men in BMWs, and masses of weeping girls.

By the way, several of the soaps on Thai TV are Korean, which seems to be the flavour of the moment. In fact, all Asian soaps, from China down to Singapore, are virtually identical and easily dubbed for a different audience.

If you have a Thai partner and want to make them aware of how the Thai Health Foundation views the matter (as per the OP's link), go to http://www.thaihealth.or.th, where there are some very strong statements about the unsuitability of TV in general, and especially for children.

I like this article on their website: ดูทีวีเวลานอน...สุขภาพทรุด. "Watch TV at bedtime .... your health declines."

Mr Plus

I won't waste your time pointing you at british comedy, as a yank it will go over your head. :D

If you are in to educational stuff (travel, natural world, science) the BBC is second to none :)

Prancing around while clapping coconut shells to imitate horses was bloody hilarious, goes way way over my head. And that's from Brits' best comedy troup ever. Luckily they had better moments, like "What have Romans ever done for us?"

Fawlty Towers was funny, true, but that was ages ago. Still in black and white?

So far I got recommendation for The Tudors, any current comedy show? Action? Something mysterious like Heroes? Recently I enjoyed leverage - a group of criminals stealing stuff to help people suffering from big corporations. Got a British lead actress, too. And let's not forget Dr. House.

TV is trash!

...Trashy shows and too many advertisements are dragging down the quality of free TV channels, according to a survey by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation...

Keep the people dumb and give them bread and games. Already known in ancient Rome. The best way to gain power and control.

Keep the people dumb and give them bread and games. Already known in ancient Rome. The best way to maintain power and control. Shurely, Ed :)

Mr Plus

Prancing around while clapping coconut shells to imitate horses was bloody hilarious, goes way way over my head. And that's from Brits' best comedy troup ever. Luckily they had better moments, like "What have Romans ever done for us?" Fawlty Towers was funny, true, but that was ages ago. Still in black and white?

As a yank I must say, yes, I think British comedy must be over my head. I just got a free 'audio book' as a promo for something. The title was "Best of BBC Comedy." I listened. I don't think I got a single half chuckle or snuffed chortle out of it. There was a lot of tenor shouting by men, with a badly timed canned laughter track behind it, that much I can remember. However, I like John Cleese, especially in 'A Fish Called Wanda', ...but most British humor does go over my head, much as slush goes over my head when I help push a truck out of a rut on a snowy day.

US-produced educational/nature/scientific programs are as good or better than any that BBC produces. That's the direction Thailand should go - if it had the means to do so. Commercial concerns, such as which programs sell the most whitening cream, should not be the crowning criteria for programming. It's the younger generation that suffers the most from that wrong-headed policy.

Edited by brahmburgers

Conflict between character #2 and #3 is always a given, as is between #1 and #4.

Ha! I said this very thing to my GF the other day. So true.

And not forgetting the 30 something plain looking totally subservient housekeeper and the cute boy or girl darling little angel who has no relevance in the show whatsoever.

Also noticeable in these soap operas: car crashes where no vehicles actual get damaged, gun is always at hand to see off any love rivals and the nagging girlfriend and hospital scenes with no other patients, in sight.

US-produced educational/nature/scientific programs are as good or better than any that BBC produces.

Please direct me to these oh so brilliant programmes. The crap I have to endure uses 25 minutes of content and the rest is all adverts, mostly for what is on next or in the near future. An hour long programme starts at about 7 minutes past the scheduled time and finishes 10 minutes before the scheduled time slot. After each break for advertisments, I have to endure a precis of what has already been shown - as if I am some sort of moron that can't remember what has gone before. The History Channel seems to be Hollywoods interpretation of history i.e. mostly spin, and its main raison d'etre seems to be the glorification of the great US war machine - which from my personal experience is not that brilliant. My American friends all agree that that programming seems to be targeting the LCF i.e. what you call trailer trash. A measure of the sophisticationof the US TV viewer may be judged by the attack of the vapours experienced by downtown America had because some silly tart who warbles a bit, flashed one of her boobs during the interval of the Super Bowl. It is not for nothing that most sentient Brits refer to TV as 'the idiot box.'

The sports programmes are little better. I am not at all interested in three or more talking heads, each rigged up with paraphernalia as if they were directing a moonshot. Their celebrity is of no importance to me. I want to see golf or football, baseball even, not them mouthing off insincere platitudes about the players or offering their considered opinions. I prefer to watch and form my own thank you. The sooner the Golf Channel gets rid of the geriatric imbecile rejoicing under the name of Renton Laidlaw the sooner I can turn the sound back up. Make sure he takes Nick Faldo with him.

Wow! I feel better for that. I am, of course, the TV critic for the Nakhon Nowhere Gazette.

Edited by Bagwan

From what little Public TV I watch I must say that I totally concur, but it's a supply and demand thing, many Thai people seem to love it, so the power that be keep bring it to them, and the public is buying the sponsors products so the public at large is getting what it pay for. :):D:D

Advertisements, commercials and sponsoring will kill off, eventually, any quality tv.

The demand for less quality is cultivated as much as possible, because acceptance of even lower grade "amusement" gives the producers the key for making programs on the cheap.

The growth of the sale of sponsor's products is highly debatable.

Mostly the expected growth does not materialise, resulting in even less investment, even less quality of the programs.

But because there is nothing else available, people keep on looking to the detoriating programs on offer.

The reality is that program makers, advertisement people and sponsors all underestimate the viewers, a decline of the number of people that indeed look to the program will set in.

The answer from the stations is the airing of more extreme programs.

Programs about accidents, crime and war, all becoming more and more graphical will be the next steps taken by the advertisement and communication people.

Also high scoring are program that are designed to get amusement out of degrading other people.

And so on, and so on.......

Please refrain from using the term "Public TV".

The TV you can see in Thailand is Commercial TV.

Pure!

Public TV is free, or ought to be free, of commercial influence or governmental influence.

Period.

BUt in the end, my liking to watch "Dirty Jobs" makes me no more nor less superior than any Thai who loves his or her soap opera. It is all just entertainment.

Mike Rowe is a legend.

As are Jamie and Adam.

Bear Grills is enjoyable until he drinks his own p1ss and eats puss filled worms.

How do they do it? can be interesting.

etc

The screaming woman and crying daughter and abusive father, the camp male and oh so serious handsome Thai man who has never smiled in his life whilst totally over acting is utterly pathetic.

Mind you, this is not only a Thai phenomenon, I think every Asian country I have lived in have the exact same soap opera dross on their TV.

Look at that <deleted> in Singapore with the mole on his cheek, PCK is it?

Say what you like about the Mythbusters, but atleast you can learn and experience whilst watching them 'blow stuff up'

Oh, I like Mythbusters, Man vs Wild, Drity Jobs, The Most Dangerous Catch, etc. and I could never get caught up in the Thai soap operas. My point is that my own personal view of entertainment makes me no better nor worse than a Thai who loves soaps. It is all just entertainment in the end.

where is the monk and the Farang?

US-produced educational/nature/scientific programs are as good or better than any that BBC produces.

Please direct me to these oh so brilliant programmes. The crap I have to endure uses 25 minutes of content and the rest is all adverts, mostly for what is on next or in the near future. An hour long programme starts at about 7 minutes past the scheduled time and finishes 10 minutes before the scheduled time slot. After each break for advertisments, I have to endure a precis of what has already been shown - as if I am some sort of moron that can't remember what has gone before. The History Channel seems to be Hollywoods interpretation of history i.e. mostly spin, and its main raison d'etre seems to be the glorification of the great US war machine - which from my personal experience is not that brilliant. My American friends all agree that that programming seems to be targeting the LCF i.e. what you call trailer trash. A measure of the sophisticationof the US TV viewer may be judged by the attack of the vapours experienced by downtown America had because some silly tart who warbles a bit, flashed one of her boobs during the interval of the Super Bowl. It is not for nothing that most sentient Brits refer to TV as 'the idiot box.'

The sports programmes are little better. I am not at all interested in three or more talking heads, each rigged up with paraphernalia as if they were directing a moonshot. Their celebrity is of no importance to me. I want to see golf or football, baseball even, not them mouthing off insincere platitudes about the players or offering their considered opinions. I prefer to watch and form my own thank you. The sooner the Golf Channel gets rid of the geriatric imbecile rejoicing under the name of Renton Laidlaw the sooner I can turn the sound back up. Make sure he takes Nick Faldo with him.

Wow! I feel better for that. I am, of course, the TV critic for the Nakhon Nowhere Gazette.

Not to get into a UK/US television tiff, but personally, I think that the supposed quality of British television is overrated, and the trash element of US television is overblown. For every Office or All in the Family the US gets from British tv, there is also The Weakest Link and Three's Company.

Many people wax poetic about how Fawlty Towers was perhaps the best comedy ever on television, but I don't see it. It is an agreeable show, but Arrested Developement was far funnier, as were both versions of the Office and even the animated series, The Family Guy.

I see nothign wrong with The History Channel. In the uS, there are four or five channels for it, and only one deals with military topics. Here, in Thailand, they just happen to show more military-themes shows than normal. But for me, the evacuation at Dunkirk is far more interesting than a show about a beach in Ireland or a show hunting some huge bird which supposedly preys on people, snatching them into the air like an eagle with a rabbit (all three recent shows on TruVision).

The advent of calbe has allowed a proliferation of shows never before available. I happen to love cooking shows, and in the US, I can watch them at any time. But even television series in the US are better and better now, mostly thanks to HBO. HBO has intruduced great television: The Wire, Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, The Larry Sanders Show, Taxi Cab Confessions, John Adams--the list goes on. But it also has spurred on networks to up their game in order to retain viewers. Another poster mentioned Lost and Heroes. While I agree with him that they lost their way after the ir first seasons, these were innovative shows.

I like quite a bit of British TV. The Office is great, and I loved Extras, too. And as far as older series, Month Python will always be my favorite sketch comedy. And the cooperation between BBC and Discovery has resulted in truly magnificant nature and science series. But I hold to my point that British television is not all that great and US television is not all that bad.