Thai Public Tv Is Trash!

george

Black Books, Father Ted, Mock the Week, Not The Nine O'clock News, Yes (+P)Minister, To the Manor Born, Chef,

Britas Empire, Q, My Family, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Babes In The Woods, Are You Being Served,

The Young Ones, Bottom, Dad's Army, Morecambe and Wise, Flanders and Swan, Black Adder ( all), Mr. B.,

'Allo 'Allo! Billy Connely's World Tour of Scotland and Wales.

All things I've watched multiple times or have on DVD.

Let's not leave out; Hobson's Choice, Carry On, Kind Hearts And Coronets, Titfield Thunbderbolt, Goon Show,

Man Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain, Brassed Off, most anything Ealing, Peter Greenaway's

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover, Drowning by Numbers, A Zed and Two Noughts, .

Would be more helpful if you singled out two at most.

What should be the best introduction in your opinion? Something not too old and available on the net.

>>

Actually I must confess - I never watch TV. I gave up following in the early 80s. Here in Thailand I watched Sex and the City because it was on HBO, and Friends because I had a DVD of some season.

Now, with the advent of the Internet, I turned my attention to TV series because vast majority of the moves are such crap. Some I think are just brilliant. Others are unbearable. Many are just not as good if watched once a week, as they are released. 24 mentioned earlier is one example.

There's just some kind of special anticipation when I sit down in front of TV knowing that I will have 10-20 hours of non-stop fun if I watch a whole season through.

Interesting question, and I think depends on the appreciation of sarcasm in the individual as audience.

And to some extent knowledge of British slang too.

Films Old: Hobson's Choice and Kind Hearts And Coronets; both on my all time list with Citizen Kane

New: Man Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain, you should find ok.

Brilliant period piece and wonderful well rounded film based on a true Welsh story.

It's the CHARACTERS that drive it so well.

TV New current affairs

'Mock the Week' is hilarious and utterly irreverent,

but some of the accents (Dara) and references are nearly indecipherable. I still fall over watching it.

Frankie Boyle is a Scots madman.

Newer

Black Books and Father Ted are the Irish / English juxtaposed to great effect.

Classic older TV

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister are great political send ups.

Allo Allo is a British Hogan's Heros.

Middle period madness is Young Ones or ANYTHING with pre-accident Ric Mayal in it.

I saw Bottom 2003 live... truly demented.

Black Adder is Mr. Bean does historical set pieces with the same revolving/revolting cast

including a young 'House'. "The Russian codpiece always scares the clergy."

Once more into the beach dear friends!

Edited by animatic

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first arrived in Thailand I had a (Thai) gf, nice girl, masters degree, government job, etc. Anyway, the first time I saw her watch TV she viewed it so intently that I thought "Has she ever seen a tv before?!?" Of course I knew she had but she appeared as if she were in a trance, she was that absorbed in the program.

Last night I had a burger at Kiss Foods (Not bad considering the price) and the staff was pretty engrosed in a popular series. I happened to catch one girl's eye and gave her a thumbs-up; I joined in the viewing, yuked it up a bit and we all agreed that it was the best series ever.

If you can't beat them... :)

If you were in Thailand 15 years ago, it was almost totally void of TV's in small shops,

hairdressers, night markets, Banks, Hospitals etc. Go look in Cambodia/Laos and you will see

what I mean. Today, Thais are OBSESSED by T.V. and especially the trashy soaps which

haunt prime time. It is no wonder that so many are really so UNINFORMED about life going

on around them and why many of the soaps ARE giving a bad example to many Thais and

the quality of customer service has gone right down in the last few years.

If it's not eating, sleeping then it's the soaps or scandal shows that cause this mindless addiction.

you obvioulsy haven't seen many 'samples'.....or just didn't pay attention when you did.

Just how many samples do I have to see to find something I'd truly enjoy?

For now I'll watch the Office and The Tudors. Will check Animatic's suggestions, but the Uk TV has already failed the ultimate test - none of these shows made any impact outside the UK. Americans, on the other hand, came up with several very successful shows that are appreaciated everywhere. From Sex and the City and Friends and Simpsons to 24 and Prison Break. Ok, Simpsons are not popular in Thailand, but it's still a fuc_king good laugh, and so is South Park. I got kids hooked up on it already (even if they don't understand that Stan's father was jerking off all over the computer and what it meant, or what a "quiff" was).

Very interesting discussion about the merits of British or American comedy working when exported.

When they decided to make "The Office" in the US, it didn't work well at all because a lot of the characterisations from the British version didn't cross the channel well at all. I love the British version. It is amazingly funny but it also makes me cringe. The US version isn't half as funny to me, but it is very successful in the states.

Just goes to show, that despite sharing a so called special relationship and a language, humour (not humor) in the US or the UK is a lot more than just language.

I was in the UK over Xmas and they showed Blackadder chopping off King Edward's head for stealing his horse. "A horse and horse, a kingdom for a horse", chop!. I roared with laughter, my (Thai)missus was shocked and confused but got the joke eventually.

Shit, I downloaded the US version, season 1.

Though I do appreaciate the idea, it's...., well, a generic form of entertainment, nothing special, they've got crap like this on UBC series 24/7. Maybe the UK version was wittier, but there has been only two short season seven years ago.

Actually I think BuyMore featured in "Chuck" was just hilarious in the first season, before they run out of jokes to fit the characters.

Watching Tudors now. Boring,

US Vs British TV - what a silly argument.

It's like saying your sh_t smells better than their sh_t, both are equally awful.

TV has its audience - for the very young and the feeble minded.

I've been a prolific reader all of my life, but I also love lots of film and lots of TV. Ignoring the good and concentrating on the bad is really feeble-minded! :)

1995 movie, acc. to IMDB - this is "new"?

Black Books

ended in 2004

Father Ted

ended in 1998

>>>>

Is it really what this sampling of the "great" British TV has come down to? Checking out ten year old shows that couldn't last past three season of six episodes?

and did you notice that most of the beautiful girls, and some of the boys in Thai soap operas are "half-half" (half farang)? The thai don't particularly like us but being an actress/actor with a farang parent seems to be a must!

Who understand the Thai?

1995 movie, acc. to IMDB - this is "new"?

Black Books

ended in 2004

Father Ted

ended in 1998

>>>>

Is it really what this sampling of the "great" British TV has come down to?

Checking out ten year old shows that couldn't last past three season of six episodes?

I was showing a cross section. Some are classic movies, that play on tv periodically.

Not all 'good entertainment' needs be high-brow. just good and/or funny, quirky, weird etc.

Father Ted, the lead actor died; end of show.

Black books was two stand-up comedians doing their thing off each other. I liked it.

They went back to their regular careers. Dylan Moran AKA 'Bernard Black',

is a truly mad comedian, riffing on most any absurdity.

New maybe vs. Hobson's Choice, had Charles Laughton and he is long in the grave, and John Mills.

Doesn't prevent them from being classics. In fact Hobson's Choice is going in the VCR momentarily.

I like them, your mileage may vary but the date of production doesn't affect the quality.

I also tend to read about 35 books a year, or more, besides periodicals and technical journals.

I -prefer- not being feeble-minded, but sometimes the eyes need a break from the printed page or screen.

Edited by animatic

Hobson's Choice is going in the VCR momentarily

Excuse me? Did you say VCR?

Can someone recommend me a good, current UK show, not for the purpose of comparing to American TV, just to watch? Something not older than one or two years.

British office is unavailable anymore. And it was only 12 episodes seven years ago.

Also for anyone interested in a terrific 'oldies' station (50s, 60s, 70s) you could do no better than this one. tune in on Saturday around 1500 Thai Time, a fantastic Saturday Night Jukebox programme.

mms://streaming.mytalk.com.au/magic

I just tuned in to it (some Melbourne hip radio station), and after some adverts, I got to hear a peppy song with two guys whistling. Then an old chestnut that sounded smaltzy even to my parents' ancient generation. Sorry, it was a let down. Maybe I just picked a bad time slot.

Half Farang actresses makes it easier for the sponsors to sell more whitening cream to the gullible.

Lee Evans is also hysterically funny most of the time.

Just finished watching Hobson's Choice again. Still excellent.

'Mock The Week' should be pretty current.

Edited by animatic

Hobson's Choice is going in the VCR momentarily

Excuse me? Did you say VCR?

Can someone recommend me a good, current UK show, not for the purpose of comparing to American TV, just to watch?

Something not older than one or two years.

British office is unavailable anymore. And it was only 12 episodes seven years ago.

Yes VCR,

I have a region 2 DVD in the mail, it is also available region 1 now also.

I picked up a VCR for 200 baht to watch this again while I awaited a DVD.

It is a film I bought a VCR before they disappear just to be able to watch again...

Also Sullivan's Travels and Ball of Fire.

I have been looking for this one on DVD for 10 years. Finally they put it out...

My list was based on someone saying 'American's don't understand UK comedy'.

And I disproved that point, for at least ONE yank.

Can't tell what's current now from just BBC on the Thai satellite tv.

Got more current I suspect when I was in France with a satellite.

Edited by animatic

TV is trash!

...Trashy shows and too many advertisements are dragging down the quality of free TV channels, according to a survey by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation...

Keep the people dumb and give them bread and games. Already known in ancient Rome. The best way to gain power and control.

"DRAGGING down the quality" of free Thai TV????? LOLOL oh my that's BRILLIANT.. :-) I wish I could insert one of the often used sound effects typical of TTV e.g boynggggggg. Also this medium depict Thai woman as agressive,and neurotic. Of course the "men" are usually emotionally balanced etc. LOLOLOL

Ah but TIT so it is very doubtful that much will change........ As an old saying goes,: The rich (and powerful) get richer.

US produce nothing but trash, all this trailer park trash spitting and fighting on stage, dad is having sex with with daughter, son loves animals everyone gets jealous Jerry Springer, ricky lake and all those other quality, informative and educational shows. Really shows the true mentality of Americans.

Well, I knew a THai television trash-bash would really have to change to a US television trash-bash.

If you think US television is only Jerry Springer, Rickie Lake, et al, then you know nothing about US television, and it isn't even worth the time to go into any reasonable discussion about it.

I agree it is trash that comes out of America never seen anything from there that is worth watching. If you want to see quality TV tune into the Australian network and watch the mighty St Kilda football team kick the <deleted> of all comers..... Go Saints

One of the main problems with USA TV is so many channels to fill.

Just not possible to make quality for so many hours of the day in parallel.

Even with reruns it's STILL an impossible task.

And yet to make more money they sell to other markets.

That is the ones they THINK are so common to most human experience

that it may translate, or at least give expats a sense of home.

Few if ANY are ever sold with the intent of being art in the

eyes of the more intelligent in any market.

And yet amongst the channel filler and drek are some quality shows and movies,

HBO has a surprisingly good track record.

Reality TV is appealing ONLY for two elements:

1 ) It's rock bottom productions costs.

2 ) It's sense of letting even the butt ugly and stupid viewers

feel superior yet empathetic over the characters.

But there are other shows not likely to resonate abroad that

address issues of the real world and in ways often meant

to open minds not reinforce closed ones.

I have not talked much about Thai public TV, because the issue is SO vapid,

it seemed more productive to talk about DECENT things to watch.

I have hated soap operas on three continents, no reason AT ALLLLLLL to stop now....

US produce nothing but trash, all this trailer park trash spitting and fighting on stage, dad is having sex with with daughter, son loves animals everyone gets jealous Jerry Springer, ricky lake and all those other quality, informative and educational shows. Really shows the true mentality of Americans.

Well, I knew a THai television trash-bash would really have to change to a US television trash-bash.

If you think US television is only Jerry Springer, Rickie Lake, et al, then you know nothing about US television, and it isn't even worth the time to go into any reasonable discussion about it.

I agree it is trash that comes out of America never seen anything from there that is worth watching. If you want to see quality TV tune into the Australian network and watch the mighty St Kilda football team kick the <deleted> of all comers..... Go Saints

St Kilda Shmilda sissy boys in tight shorts all chasing loose balls.

and connom folks winning a fortune,

That's a joke, isn't it..?

Those who win are ALWAYS those who already have everything. Since my BF watches that crap all the time i am forced to see some of it too, they come to visit some stinky rich celebrity's house and talk about the usual gossip, go through the clothes cabinet and show the 80 inch Plasma in the bathroom (people need that!) and in the end they get a present basket from the sponsor of the "show" and a couple of bicycles for the kids. Who already have bicycles and are previously seen riding them. Those people do NOT need gifts!

Or why is the "lucky winner" of a Honda Jazz almost always someone who already owns at least two cars, one of which is a Benz?

I have yet to see a "common person" to win something. Key to get on those "shows" is to be rich to begin with. People (as in television audience) don't want to see "common folks", they want to see celebrities and rich people, because those are taken as role models (money, money, money and more money).

Regards....

Thanh

Well spotted that man!

Cronyism, nepotism and favouritism has no limits in Thailand.

I was watching the other night and the host of one show was a contestant on the next and he 'won' 30,000thb.

They don't even bother to disguise it on TV because the majority are too uneducated to work it all out.

and connom folks winning a fortune,

That's a joke, isn't it..?

Those who win are ALWAYS those who already have everything. Since my BF watches that crap all the time i am forced to see some of it too, they come to visit some stinky rich celebrity's house and talk about the usual gossip, go through the clothes cabinet and show the 80 inch Plasma in the bathroom (people need that!) and in the end they get a present basket from the sponsor of the "show" and a couple of bicycles for the kids. Who already have bicycles and are previously seen riding them. Those people do NOT need gifts!

Or why is the "lucky winner" of a Honda Jazz almost always someone who already owns at least two cars, one of which is a Benz?

I have yet to see a "common person" to win something. Key to get on those "shows" is to be rich to begin with. People (as in television audience) don't want to see "common folks", they want to see celebrities and rich people, because those are taken as role models (money, money, money and more money).

Regards....

Thanh

Well spotted that man!

Cronyism, nepotism and favouritism has no limits in Thailand.

I was watching the other night and the host of one show was a contestant on the next and he 'won' 30,000thb.

They don't even bother to disguise it on TV because the majority are too uneducated to work it all out.

Not quite Thai related, but did you hear the one where Robert Mugabe won the 500SL on the Zimbabwean national lottery?

Some folks never miss an opp to fling feces at America, now matter how outlandish the premise. US execs produce a whole gamut of programming - yet their best stuff is as good or better than anything produced elsewhere. Examples: PBS specials, Discovery, History, HBO specials. If a person chooses to wallow in the gutter, then it's not surprising they see only muck. Try broadening your horizons - though it's probably more fun to take the low road and continue to sling crap all around, and see what sticks.

You're right BB, it's the same in UK, if you watch Emmerdale Farm or Coronation street you have to be considered brain dead, but there's plenty of good programmes if you're discerning. Likewise Thai TV, Thai PBS especially, shows interesting documentaries, investigative reports and discussion programmes. Channel 9, NBT and channel 3 also have their share.

I feel sorry for those married to soap opera addicts, perhaps they should have observed their viewing habits before tying the knot!

Many countries produce at least one show that won't be laughed off the air in most other countries.

If some body went to the trouble of translating it. The Marketing Weenies try and sell the ones that

they CAN'T keep on the air at home, to the off shore markets, because they need to pay off

the production costs. Simple as that. it needs another market to break even, not all producers

get the great script, cast and director they needed, but still need to at least break even....

Yet those 500 hours a week of programming slots are still beckoning loudly: FILL ME!

So those pieces of failed art get 'bundled' with some good shows in offshore markets

to get them some more residuals and so in 'other lands' the drek gets another run through.

But as noted by Bannork "there's plenty of good programmes if you're discerning"

Not everything is Ban Mork from Ork... even if Robin Williams was REALLY funny

in Mork and Mindy.

It's not Six Feet Under or Dead Like Me, which deal with philosophical issues not just yucks,

or

Geena Davis in Commander and Chief, which is surprisingly non-jingoist

and shines a rather jaundiced eye on the job.

Perfect shows don't exist, but some are a lot better than afternoon gabfests or low brow confessionals.

When it comes to mindless platforms for selling detergent Thailand is hands-down the winner.

I have never seen throngs of commoners so enraptured by television programmes about petty domestic squabbles with carnival background music like they are in Thailand.

America can lay claim to produce (over-produce) the best dramatic programming (much easier to do than comedy) although The U.S. once had it's comedic heyday with Uncle Milton and Groucho, Ernie Kovacks and Dick Van Dyke.

But Britain certainly is the leader in TV comedy.

Whip-smart and also unflinchingly low-brow in the same breath.

I've seen Blackadder and Fawlty Towers.

Are you serious???

I mean they could have been revolutionary thirty years ago, but who'd watch them now????

I still laugh at reruns of both after seeing them dozens of times...

But then again- (In a thick Castillian accent)

"I know noothing!"

Yes, they are funny, but I still can't get a single recommendation for a current British comedy show. "Mock the week" is a panel show with people making fun of the news, do they have something like those Fawlty towers at the moment, or at least had in the past year.

I, personally, made my mind re. British TV when I was given links to ten year old comedies by dead actors and absolutely nothing that is on now, but I keep trying. Five pages of praises for the Uk with zero evidence.

>>

I don't know if I have stomach to finish first season of Tudors, good as it is.

Yes, they are funny, but I still can't get a single recommendation for a current British comedy show. "Mock the week" is a panel show with people making fun of the news, do they have something like those Fawlty towers at the moment, or at least had in the past year.

I, personally, made my mind re. British TV when I was given links to ten year old comedies by dead actors and absolutely nothing that is on now, but I keep trying. Five pages of praises for the Uk with zero evidence.

>>

I don't know if I have stomach to finish first season of Tudors, good as it is.

You might be paralleling the downfall of the BBC. They make great comedy, but current great comedies? I have probably been out of the UK for too long