Lime Trees

Any tips on growing limes? In the dry season they are 5B each, we close to 20 trees and I'll like to have producing around April. I've been told hormones are required, however I'd like to stick to organic methods. Any advice?

Any tips on growing limes? In the dry season they are 5B each, we close to 20 trees and I'll like to have producing around April. I've been told hormones are required, however I'd like to stick to organic methods. Any advice?

There are quite few organic solutions/sprays meant to induce flowering.

I spray my citrus trees regularly; some of this stuff actually works. The trees more or less produce year round, heavier around the normal period.

If you can’t find it, let me know I’ll post a picture for you.

regards

I haven't grown limes commercially and I don't know about hormone treatments, but I have had good productivity in a home orchard and taken care of other peoples trees. Follow general principles of plant health care, good soil fertility (they like manure, I've used mostly cattle manure, preferably composted), but go easy with hot nitrogen fertilization or you will get too much foliage growth and pest problems. Watch soil pH as micronutrient deficiences and chlorosis can develop with alkaline soil. I use a seaweed formulation in a foliar spray application for micronutrient maintenance. Thin lightly to allow air and light penetration and you will get healthier interior growth and less scale infestations, scale are almost always associated with too dense foliage. Provide good drainage to avoid waterlogging which could lead to citrus root rot. Mulch the root zone but don't let workers pile soil or mulch against the tree trunks as citrus are vulnerable to root collar disorders brought on by excessive moisture at the base. Watch for ant trails up the trunk which can signal a scale or aphid infestation; if so control the ants and the pests early. Tanglefoot or the local equivalent: bug glue I think it's called, can be useful. Irrigate by deep watering every 10 days during the dry season. Don't strip up the lower foliar canopy, allow it to shade the lower trunk to avoid sunburn. That's just off the top of my head, check Jandtaa's PDFs and Google for more, there must be lots of info on citrus in general and limes in particular. don

Thanks, the limes are producing well, the seem fairly easy to manage. We get fruit all year, but it's only this time of year that it's in abundance. I've never sprayed them with anything.

It would be great to have heaps of limes in April May, as the price is high then.

Thanks, the limes are producing well, the seem fairly easy to manage. We get fruit all year, but it's only this time of year that it's in abundance. I've never sprayed them with anything.

It would be great to have heaps of limes in April May, as the price is high then.

I'd be interested to see Soidog's products suggestions. But I'm not in favor of extraordinary methods for fruit production, as you usually pay the price in long term plant health by forcing flowering/fruiting that depletes nutrients. If it's backed by full cultural conditions support you may get away with it.

Like I say I'm not experienced in commercial production, but if I wanted to have maximum lime production in April/May, I would be sure that my trees had adequate water and nutrition (and minimal pest pressure) throughout the dry months, starting irrigation in November.

I'd be interested to see Soidog's products suggestions. But I'm not in favor of extraordinary methods for fruit production, as you usually pay the price in long term plant health by forcing flowering/fruiting that depletes nutrients. If it's backed by full cultural conditions support you may get away with it.

Like I say I'm not experienced in commercial production, but if I wanted to have maximum lime production in April/May, I would be sure that my trees had adequate water and nutrition (and minimal pest pressure) throughout the dry months, starting irrigation in November.

I couldn’t get the label of to scan it , I stitched the best possible.

This is the product I use; It’s common in Thailand, called “Biogreen”

Read the ingredient list carefully, it promotes flowering by providing the necessary nutrient mix.

No hormones or chemicals, and it works on my trees.

Do not expect huge booms and not all the flowers set fruit; you must pay attention to the soil as well.

If you neglect everything else but spray the trees, nothing will happen !

Hope it helps.

PS , as a bonus it has a really nice clean smell when used.

post-14625-1245115789_thumb.jpg