Photo Challenge #5

Kan Win

Hi Forks,

As HDR Photography is too technical for most members, I have chosen something very simple and easy.

'fabianfred' Topic HDR Photography has been given a separate thread for folks that are into this type of Photography, myself inculded .

Photo Challenge #5 is now open until the end of June 2009, so please post your entries.

All "Entries" must be your own blah..blah.. :D

Rules are "Pinned" so please take a look at them The Rules are Here.

Good luck to one and all. Lets show them what we can do with this "Clouds" topic. :)

Have fun :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Hi 'The Vulcan',

Clouds as HDR is an open-ended Challenge and 'Fred' has to set the rules on the HDR one.

I compromise as I mentioned. Hope you agree :)

Yours truly,

Heavy storm clouds rolling in over Bangkok.

3616157141_1012cf33e5.jpg

Photomatix HDR image comprising of 3 shots with exposure bracketing -2 '0' +2

Noise reduction using NeatImage. Cropped, resized and tidied up a bit in PSP

Edited by lordsux

Ahh.. now i know who EyeZFoTo is......

Great, this challenge is already over. Good Job Lord!

^

"It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings" 'bkkjames'. :)

My first entry.

Photo taken in Kanchanaburi same time as 'The Vulcan' visited this province 22nd May 2009.

For a Raw photo, processed with ACDSee Pro 2.50

post-3770-1244801051_thumb.jpg

Yours truly,

This photo was taken in 1988 on a preview day for World Expo 88 in Brisbane.

As a Project Manager and Production Designer for Sitescaping, one of my responsibilities was the construction and installation of the clouds to a building adjoining the Expo site.

The camera used was a notch up from a "Box Brownie" and the print has been scanned to enter it for this competition purely for it's novelty value.

post-52326-1244803815_thumb.jpg

4. Photos must have been shot within the last 3 months.

Yours truly,

Kan Win

1988 is close enough isn't it ?

This competition is skewed towards people who are good at photography and had an education..... :D

Hi 'LeungKen',

Thank you for taking part in our 'Photo Challenge #5'.

I did not write these rules, sorry, :D my thinking was that any photo no matter what year it was taken as long as you took the photo, but that idea got "shot down" hence the rule above.

Please read my post #9 and more. :D on the thread below

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Challenges-t239439.html

As for "This competition is skewed towards people who are good at photography" not true, we all show off what and how we Kan in our own way :)

and had an education
what is that :D

In photography I have had none, hence no one voted for me in the last Challenge :D

You still have 3 chances left, so go out and take some photos of 'Clouds' in Phuket.

Voting is done via a 'Poll' btw. A nod is a good as a wink. :D

Yours truly,

The first entry in this fifth contest is an HDR photo, yet if I read what I think I read, this contest isn't actually for HDR photos; there is a separate "contest" for that this time. So this photo is invalid and no more HDR photos are allowed? Isn't this right?

The first entry in this fifth contest is an HDR photo, yet if I read what I think I read, this contest isn't actually for HDR photos; there is a separate "contest" for that this time. So this photo is invalid and no more HDR photos are allowed? Isn't this right?

3rd entry looks a bit suspicious as well! :)

The things these "mods" get away with eh

Edited by The Vulcan

So, if I posted an image of clouds in the separate HDR challenge would the submission also be invalid, or how about if I posted on this challenge but as a black and white image, would that also be invalid?

HDR imaging is designed to bring out the full tonal range that the human eye sees in a scene. Digital cameras have a difficult time capturing this in a single shot. HDR has gone pop smart and many HDR shots nowadays are totally overcooked, this enables for some interesting and eye catching images but HDR's original use was to produce images that correctly reproduce the shadows, mid tones and highlights of a scene, (much the same as exposure blending) thus enabling images which are much closer to what the human eye actually sees.

To eliminate an image from the challenge purely because it is a HDR image would be much the same as saying that no pre/post processing allowed at all on the images entered in the challenges.

Here is the same image but using only the exposure blending function in Photomatix and then the same PP as the HDR image. A much sharper, cleaner and better result IMHO. Any objections to 'Exposure Blending?" :)

5. Post processing is OK, but it will be up to the judge if it works or not.

7. Please include some EXIF data including: speed, aperture, ISO, and any PP you've done.

To asnwer 'Mark Wolfe' question, "is in within the rules."

Your truly,

Kan Win :)

3rd entry looks a bit suspicious as well! :D

The things these "mods" get away with eh

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...mp;qpid=2801364

Just adding a RAW nudge to this - if these were RAW files the contrast adjustment would be available.

Opening up the shadows, clawing back the blown highlights etc. All would be there.

Correct and I did what you wrote long ago as well, shoot in RAW and now look where I am ............................ :D

Yours truly,

Just having some fun, like we all should be doing :)

I would like to request that this thread be deleted and a new one started.

First off, the "rules," are that the winner of the challenge selects the next topic. That was HDR photos. Just because someone can't understand this type of processing or can't download the trial version of Photomatrix doesn't make it an invalid topic. In fact, it could compel some to actually discover more about photography instead of just shrugging and thinking, "I could never do that."

Moreover, the topic, selected not by the winner, of "clouds" is basically the same as what we just had: Landscapes. I am disappointed that out of all those topics someone posted, clouds was the most "interesting" selection.

I think at the very least the winner of last month's competition should select the new topic. I don't think you can say, "The winner selects the topic unless it's too different or makes people actually become more involved in post production photography." Or if you want to continue separating HDR, then the runner-up should have the choice, not Kan Win.

By the way, HDR processing couldn't be easier. Making the photos look good, however, is tricky.

I would tend to agree with Mark. It may have been different if the rules of the main challenge prohibited post processing but they do not. At the very least if it was thought that HDR should have been a different thread then fabianfred should have been asked to also make a challenge using more conventional means. It seems too much like I don't like it so I willo take my bat and ball and go home.

One reason I haven't posted more here.

Edited by harrry

Hi 'Mark Wolfe'

I did want to compromise

Something accepted rather than wanted: something that somebody accepts because what was wanted is unattainable

Microsoft® Encarta® 2006.

Perhaps I was wrong, maybe not, so let our Members have there say as well.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :)

Blame me for the rules as these challenges were my idea, I've never said that the rules are not open for debate. I just wanted to create a bit more life on this sub-forum :)

The 3 month rule is so that people with a life long catalog of images can't just browse through their collection and pick the appropriate images for the challenges. Not much of a challenge in that is there?

First someone wants to invalidate my entry in this challenge, now someone want's the thread deleted! Someone should maybe remember that they are not being forced to enter the challenges.

I think that fabienfred must have agreed to the compromise, which IMHO is the way to go. Keep the normal challenges for the mainstream and start new challenges for the more technical topics. If I was to win another challenge and decided to choose 60 second exposures or maybe time lapse as the next challenge, would that be acceptable? how about astrophotography? The normal challenges should be available to anyone with any camera and without the need to install extra software. If you have the hardware, software and knowledge then of course this can be utilized in the normal challenges.

The challenges are for fun, to learn, to get out and take pictures (hence the 3 month rule) and to expand our creativity. Participation in the normal challenges should not be hampered for those with hardware or software limitations.

(BTW, I won a previous challenge and my prize was whisked away from me without notice due to Songkran. Didn't hear one word from me about it though. (Until now that is) :D)

Edited by lordsux