What's Your Favourite Steak Cut?

thaigerd

Steak cut  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ribeye has got to be the best...as someone said, because of the marbling. fillet is of course the tenderest and if you don't want the fat, then it is best.

As for T-bones.....one side of the T is the fillet, the other side the sirloin. As a matter of principle, I rarely buy T-bones because it is a cut that has 2 distinctly different quality cuts embedded in it....and you're paying for weight of bone.

The best bbq sauce for steak is the one made from beef bile (nam dee). I think it is called lab khom. Does anyone know how to make it, and do you think I could substitute sheep bile as I am in New Zealand.

My favorite is not exactly on the list.... there is a close category... but not exact.

Best BBQed... my favorite would have to be Tri-tip (a special cut of sirloin, for those not familiar).

Leftovers, sliced up, make wonderful taquitoes, or even carne asada style tacos.

Ribeye has got to be the best...as someone said, because of the marbling. fillet is of course the tenderest and if you don't want the fat, then it is best.

As for T-bones.....one side of the T is the fillet, the other side the sirloin. As a matter of principle, I rarely buy T-bones because it is a cut that has 2 distinctly different quality cuts embedded in it....and you're paying for weight of bone.

The best bbq sauce for steak is the one made from beef bile (nam dee). I think it is called lab khom. Does anyone know how to make it, and do you think I could substitute sheep bile as I am in New Zealand.

Not to be picky, but the other side is a strip loin, not a sirloin.  Strip loins are a more highly prized piece of beef which also goes by the name of new york strip, kansas city strip, delmonico, or shell steak (in the UK, it is sometimes known as the Porterhouse, although that has a different definition in the US and Canada.)

My favorite is not exactly on the list.... there is a close category... but not exact.

Best BBQed... my favorite would have to be Tri-tip (a special cut of sirloin, for those not familiar).

Leftovers, sliced up, make wonderful taquitoes, or even carne asada style tacos.

In many parts of Central California, you can get tri-tip grilled over an oak fire, then sliced and put on garlic french bread every Saturday.  Churches, boy scout troops, volunteer fire departments, etc, all put on these meals to raise money.  And all are outstanding!

In many parts of Central California, you can get tri-tip grilled over an oak fire, then sliced and put on garlic french bread every Saturday. Churches, boy scout troops, volunteer fire departments, etc, all put on these meals to raise money. And all are outstanding!

hel_l, yeah!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

A Central Cal (Santa Maria) specialty.... now spreading around the globe.

I am from nearby Santa Barbara, so have been eating tri-tip since childhood.

I even found some at Villa and cooked it over mango wood coals.

Not oak, but yummy just the same.

Very important is the method of cooking it -

cooked whole then sliced into steaks or strips; charred on the outside and red/pink in the middle.

The picture below from Wikipedia looks quite accurate.

Properly cooked, it is tender, juicy, and smokey at the same time.

Often served with salsa ...great with beer and garlic bread... baked beans are a common sidedish as well.

post-62785-1246339095_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChefHeat