Honda Taxis

Highwayman

I was having a discussion with my wife about taxis the other day and she mentioned that there were no Honda taxis in Thailand as Honda refused to allow their vehicles to be used in this way in Thailand. Is she correct?

How can a car manufacturer tell you what you can and cannot use your car for once you've paid for it? Is there some clause in the sales documentation when buying a Honda in Thailand that restricts what you use it for? My wife even said that there have been instances where someone has tried to use a Honda as a taxi and been forced to sell it back to Honda. I don't understand how they could do this. If there are Mercedes used as taxis in Europe then l don't understand why Honda would object to their vehicles being used as a taxi, unless they think their cars are not built to withstand a lot of driving.

Anyone know?

I was having a discussion with my wife about taxis the other day and she mentioned that  there were no Honda taxis in Thailand as Honda refused to allow their vehicles to be used in this way in Thailand. Is she correct?

How can a car manufacturer tell you what you can and cannot use your car for once you've paid for it? Is there some clause in the sales documentation when buying a Honda in Thailand that restricts what you use it for? My wife even said that there have been instances where someone has tried to use a Honda as a taxi and been forced to sell it back to Honda. I don't understand how they could do this. If there are Mercedes used as taxis in Europe then l don't understand why Honda would object to their vehicles being used as a taxi, unless they think their cars are not built to withstand a lot of driving.

Anyone know?

I was talking to my hubby about this subject a short while ago, he said there is a clause with Honda, that it can't be used as a taxi, apperently if you buy one and use it as a taxi they have the right to take/buy back the car from you.

It is strange though.. like they used to use a lot lesser cars for meter taxis before... Like some Daewoos, some Nissan NV Station wagons, That Holden thing nobody else drove, Mazda 323..

The ONLY cars you absolutely never see as taxis are Honda's..

Especially up here in Chiang Mai, Honda's are FAR more popular than Toyota's.. Almost to the point that on most Toyota Corollas you see there's a p[retty good chance it's from Bangkok or elsewhere. (Non-CM plates) (Also has to do with the scummy dealer who has the monopoly, but still)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Having the displeasure of rides in the back seat of a Honda City can only hope they are never used for taxi. Too low and no support.

Believe the real reason was supply and cost. Do not believe Honda had a low price model with the required 1600cc engine when the shift was made to meter taxi. It is only in that last few years that Honda has become popular here.

That said believe I have been in Honda Accord taxi recently here in the big city.

the toyota taxis that are seen here are specially made as taxis , they are ordered in bulk , lack many features found in the passenger version , and are painted to order.

naturally they are a good deal cheaper than the regular showroom version.

i believe mercedes taxis in europe are stripped down versions too.

honda dont offer this deal , but if a driver wanted to pay full price for a honda accord which is the only decent sized honda suitable for use as a taxi then i'm sure they could do so. the locally made honda civic is too small.

i'm not sure if the accord model is even made here in thailand , if it isnt then it must be an import , and will attract high purchase taxes , and certainly would not make economic sense for a taxi driver to purchase one.

i'm not sure if the accord model is even made here in thailand , if it isnt then it must be an import , and will attract high purchase taxes , and certainly would not make economic sense for a taxi driver to purchase one.

6 and 4 cylinder Accord and the Civic 4 door are both produced in Thailand. "Euro" Accord (4 Cylinder) is produced in Japan.

That is for the SE Asia and Australian markets :o

Just a local urban legend (probably based on a few instances of some local Honda distributor bullying taxi drivers who don't know better).

There's a yellow and green taxi base near me on Sukapibal 3, whose owner has two V6 Accords painted as taxis for him to drive himself (his hobby).

:o

i dont think honda had banned its cars being used as taxis...its too irrational... how could some1 come up wid that???

im dead sure honda would love to see its models being used as taxis.

the fact is that toyota and nissan give the best value for money....they have an early start and do provide gr8 finance schemes for the potential owners of the taxi....