What Went Wrong In Phuket?

yayapapaya

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could give a few more examples......I love Phuket and think it is a wonderful place, I lived there a few years back but sadly the same as Samui, the greed factor has taken over...its a competitive world and sadly Phuket is unwilling to compete...... :)

I could give a few more examples......I love Phuket and think it is a wonderful place, I lived there a few years back but sadly the same as Samui, the greed factor has taken over...its a competitive world and sadly Phuket is unwilling to compete...... :)

And I can give you plenty of examples of very reasonable eateries prices. I can have an American breakfast for as low as 35 baht in Phuket Town, even in Patong a full up breakfast is less than 200 baht/person, so I have no idea why you paid 780 baht for 2 people. I supect that was an more expensive hotel price.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that the OP went to Phuket 2 years in a row.

I would think that once is enough for anybody. I'll be damned if I'll ever return there (to be ripped off and scowled at). I find the locals there to be very unfriendly and dishonest.

Agreed at least in other parts of Thailand you will be ripped off by somebody with a smile on there face !!!

The tuk tuk mafia to the stern faced bargirls on soi bangla have been taking the piss for years.

Couple this with the overpriced food and drink prices low rent hotels starting at 2000 baht in patong.

The place just isn't worth it !!!

I'm still trying to get over the fact that the OP went to Phuket 2 years in a row.

I would think that once is enough for anybody. I'll be damned if I'll ever return there (to be ripped off and scowled at). I find the locals there to be very unfriendly and dishonest.

Agreed at least in other parts of Thailand you will be ripped off by somebody with a smile on there face !!!

The tuk tuk mafia to the stern faced bargirls on soi bangla have been taking the piss for years.

Couple this with the overpriced food and drink prices low rent hotels starting at 2000 baht in patong.

The place just isn't worth it !!!

Hotels starting at 400 baht in patong icl AC and cabel. For 2000 baht you get a 4 star hotel this Summer Season.

A bottle of Jack Daniels with mixer is 2.500 baht in my favorite bar. Thats the price of 2 drinks back home.

The delicious noodles I had at midnight in Bangla was 50 baht.

There are rip offs everywhere in the world, but its possible to avoid them.

Edited by katabeachbum

I am actually on the pro phuket side, even if I sometimes dont sound it but..

A bottle of Jack Daniels with mixer is 2.500 baht in my favorite bar. Thats the price of 2 drinks back home.

1250 baht or 22.50 GBP or 36.50 us ?? Per drink back home ??

Wheres home ?? A clip joint in soho, or spearmint rhino in vegas ??

And compared to anywhere else in Thailand thats good ??

And I can give you plenty of examples of very reasonable eateries prices. I can have an American breakfast for as low as 35 baht in Phuket Town, even in Patong a full up breakfast is less than 200 baht/person, so I have no idea why you paid 780 baht for 2 people. I supect that was an more expensive hotel price.

And so could I...but hey, when on holiday, I want sit on the seafront looking at palms and the ocean getting a breeze....dont wanna be stuck up on Na Noi or 200 year Old Road thanks.....you get what you pay for and beachfront Patong is too expensive....The thread is why is Phuket dead, one reason is the outlandish cost of most things compared to anywhere else...yes, you can go to Phuket town or somewhere else but that is beside the point

I agree we will be back next year because we love the place and the people,but friends that have been going to phuket (patong) now love of all places bali. They found the food indonesian as western cheaper the drinks cheaper,not sure of the places they ate.The real DVD copies :D cost $1.00 AUS and every copy was good ,In the main beach area there are more cafe/bars right on the beach.

Told about the same of bartering for gear but slightly cheaper.

It is always quiet this time of year, and all shopowners are complaining this time of year.

The numbers are down, but not the way everybody is speaking of.

Think that you are wrong. High density areas such as Patong, the percentage of less tourists is subjective as it always has the appearance of being busy. On the rest of the island it is vastly more noticeable. I've been here 3 years now, and June to September is always my favourite time, and the period where I tend to visit more places throughout the island. This year, everywhere is very low down, and speaking to the staff in various places, it's obvious they are fearful for their jobs. I also have friends in hotel management, and whilst the majority are 'paying' staff off, the better ones are giving unpaid holidays in the hope that business will pick up later in the year. If you drive through Kata at say 8 pm, where even in the low/summer season, there were always tourists wandering around, looking at shops/restaurants, at the moment it's like a ghost town.

It is always quiet this time of year, and all shopowners are complaining this time of year.

The numbers are down, but not the way everybody is speaking of.

Think that you are wrong. High density areas such as Patong, the percentage of less tourists is subjective as it always has the appearance of being busy. On the rest of the island it is vastly more noticeable. I've been here 3 years now, and June to September is always my favourite time, and the period where I tend to visit more places throughout the island. This year, everywhere is very low down, and speaking to the staff in various places, it's obvious they are fearful for their jobs. I also have friends in hotel management, and whilst the majority are 'paying' staff off, the better ones are giving unpaid holidays in the hope that business will pick up later in the year. If you drive through Kata at say 8 pm, where even in the low/summer season, there were always tourists wandering around, looking at shops/restaurants, at the moment it's like a ghost town.

Just wait 1 month, and then we can have a much better idea. June is always very quiet, and everybody is always complaining in and about June, forgetting that it was the same last year.

July is always busier, so if things don't improve in July, I agree. But if, as usual, things pick up in July it is just looking like a normal low season to me.

In days gone by late July & August were known as Italian month so that could be a good time to gauge the reality of the numbers. Generally speaking about town nearly everyone is complaining of much lower business such as the building supply shop I deal with saying down by 50%. It could well be unpaid holidays will be the norm.

There are plenty of factors which may well deter people returning to Phuket which could account for a small percentage of the lower numbers but tourists visiting for the first time will not be aware of tuks tuks, dual pricing etc which should be rectified.

I am actually on the pro phuket side, even if I sometimes dont sound it but..

1250 baht or 22.50 GBP or 36.50 us ?? Per drink back home ??

yepp 25 Euro in Scandinavia for a long island icetea. 4 years ago, havent been there since. My son is in the restaurant business he says its more now. BTW he is a 21 year old chef and makes 1.750.000 baht a year working 38 hours a week. I prefer the prices and salaries here. :)

Wheres home ?? A clip joint in soho, or spearmint rhino in vegas ??

And compared to anywhere else in Thailand thats good ??

50 baht noodles is a ripoff compared to most places i v been in LOS. Phuket has the highest official minimum salary ( i think its 197 baht/day now) in LOS. But 50 baht is inexpensive compared to another posters 750 baht breakfast. A tourist probably doesnt care if the noodles are 30 or 80 baht, cause its less than a meal back home.

The silly prices you and I and other expats see in Phuket are probably not noticed by tourist used to higher prices.

Lets see how it works out in Euro holiday July and August.

Phuket is still atractive as a holiday destination, and most 2 weeks tourist dont care about the tuk-tuk rippoffs at 400 baht.

Thanks for the link, Bags. It makes for some interesting reading, especially given that there seems to be some history with this type of incident. It will be intersting to see if it makes it into the BKP or The Nation in the next day or two...

The scam of the British couple has nothing to do with Phuket as far as I can see, but after reading about their ordeal and also the Danish ordeal, it  seems there is a nasty scam going on at Sue Wana Poom ( Tongue in cheek spelling).  If this actually does make more main stream media, Thailand is not going to look like an appealing place to visit.

Maybe take a look at the thread 'Tourist Population Swells With Injection Of American Seamen'....comments of 20 Baht for a small water and a whopping 2,000 baht for taxi to Patong......the greed needs to be curbed!!!

I often find myself wondering when or even if Phuket will turn into a SER like Hong Kong or Singapore.

Most of the Thai's on the island aren't even from Phuket, but they act like farangs are the reason for all the bad things.

I am so sick of being blamed. Had I been the one in the Airport, being accused of stealing a Wallet, I would have thrown

a typical, loud, obnoxious, American FIT. As loud as I could, I would begin a verbal tyraide that would involve all passers by.

In all fairness, they should have been made to just pay the cost of the wallet, not 8000 quid. All they did was let their accusers

know that they can get away with it again.

I wish all farangs could just leave Phuket. How long would it take before the whole island economy collapsed. I wish that could happen

to prove only a point.

Thailand doesn't have a big GDP. What do they do besides tourism? I am embarrassed for this beautiful island. And I am fed up with

all the outright hustling, and scamming going on.

Amanda76 had her RRover broken into by 2 thai thugs. One of her dogs caught one of the thugs, cornered him, and tore his hoody sweatshirt... The Police

tried to get her to pay for damages caused by the dog and said she would go to jail if she didn't. Needless to say she made a phone call

and the cops left very quickly with the Thugs.

Can you beleive this crap???

todd

I've never been to Phuket before, and I am going for the first time in a couple weeks.

I will say, that in the States, people are holding onto their money. The recession is still going on. Unemployment is still rising. Housing market is bad...etc.

Through this thread, I am learning that Thai vendors in Phuket are raising their prices to compensate for the lack of business? :D

I know that I can haggle with street vendors, but can I negotiate restaurant prices? :)

I often find myself wondering when or even if Phuket will turn into a SER like Hong Kong or Singapore.

Thailand doesn't have a big GDP. What do they do besides tourism?

todd

I really hope Thailand never turns into anything like Hong Kong or Singapore. Then I move.

What does Thailand do besides tourism?

1. Thailand is the largest manufactorer of hard discs in the world. You know, the thing inside your computer.

2. Thailand is the second largest manufactorer of pickup trucks in the world. Since the americans cant sell their pickuptrucks any more, I guess Thailand will be the largest manufactorer of pickuptrucks within a year.

3. Thailand is one of the largest rice exporters in the world.

4. Thailand is one of the largest manufactorer of rubber in the world.

Pineapple, coconutmilk, canned fruits and mushroom..............

Panasonic, 4500 employees in Thailand. Electric home appliances manufactoring is huge in Thailand.

Phuket is just a small dot in the LOS map.

I am very sorry about the incident with the British couple in BKK. The guys I scare the most in LOS are the farang with policeuniform. There have been ruomors for a long time, but now its materialised. :)

I've never been to Phuket before, and I am going for the first time in a couple weeks.

I will say, that in the States, people are holding onto their money. The recession is still going on. Unemployment is still rising. Housing market is bad...etc.

Through this thread, I am learning that Thai vendors in Phuket are raising their prices to compensate for the lack of business? :D

I know that I can haggle with street vendors, but can I negotiate restaurant prices? :)

Good luck with the restaurant haggling. Phuket is suffering from the recession as well. Crime is up and so are the prices.

todd

Edited by flamingtodd

A Big Mac is 1,85 us$ here. Thats more expensive than thai food. Do you need to negotiate?

Welcome anyway :D

Most of the Thai's on the island aren't even from Phuket, but they act like farangs are the reason for all the bad things.

I am so sick of being blamed. Had I been the one in the Airport, being accused of stealing a Wallet, I would have thrown

a typical, loud, obnoxious, American FIT. As loud as I could, I would begin a verbal tyraide that would involve all passers by.

In all fairness, they should have been made to just pay the cost of the wallet, not 8000 quid. All they did was let their accusers

know that they can get away with it again.

I wish all farangs could just leave Phuket. How long would it take before the whole island economy collapsed. I wish that could happen

to prove only a point.

Thailand doesn't have a big GDP. What do they do besides tourism? I am embarrassed for this beautiful island. And I am fed up with

all the outright hustling, and scamming going on.

Amanda76 had her RRover broken into by 2 thai thugs. One of her dogs caught one of the thugs, cornered him, and tore his hoody sweatshirt... The Police

tried to get her to pay for damages caused by the dog and said she would go to jail if she didn't. Needless to say she made a phone call

and the cops left very quickly with the Thugs.

Can you beleive this crap???

todd

Been discussed many times - all tourists won't act en masse but even if they did yes phukets economy as it currently stands would not survive and all the non-phuket thais would leave but tourism is 6% of GDP - so your sense of superiority is misplaced let alone based on the 'worth' of all the others and not just you.

And you seem to think phuket never had a sizeable 'economy' before tourists arrived?

Stamp your feet all you want - you will only look like burrowes.

SER status would actually result in most farangs being priced off the island. Can imagine your moaning then.

Been discussed many times - all tourists won't act en masse but even if they did yes phukets economy as it currently stands would not survive and all the non-phuket thais would leave but tourism is 6% of GDP - so your sense of superiority is misplaced let alone based on the 'worth' of all the others and not just you.

Nationally yes.. However thats not what he said.. He said Phuket and if you think that Phuket's economy is 6% tourism your mad..

And you seem to think phuket never had a sizeable 'economy' before tourists arrived?

Sure tin, rubber etc.. But if it was 5% of Phukets current economy I would be surprised.. Go look at some Trang coastline to see the onomy behind tourist free regions.

A lotta you mutts keep wheeling out this '6% GDP' chestnut without a thought that this is some statistical number, plucked from, well, nobody's quite sure really. (And please don't insult everybody's intelligence by quoting Thai Government stats.) If and only if this percentile is correct, are you stating that 6% is a constant in the formula given the shrinking tourist numbers for the last 2 fiscal years? Probably some adjustment required here…