What's The Nicest Car You Have Seen In Thailand?

kjhbigv

I'm not american, i'm swiss, but i love american muscle cars as well, as we had GM (american) assembling in the sixties and early seventies in Switzerland. Therefore i grew up with all the american muscle cars. My family had GM dealership and we sold and service a lot of US cars in that time. So i know now for sure: If you ever fall in love with the Muscle cars, owned and drove them, it's like a sickness. This sickness you CAN"T heal. It's absolutely incurable. It's in the body forever and you depend on the need. A V8! It's like a drug! You need it for your life time! There is NO WAY ever get satisfied with Japanese or European cars. Even i tried very hard, try to drive Porsche, BMW,s Audis, Benz, etc. It NEVER worked out, NEVER satisfied. In the end i allways bought again a Muscke car.

Since you now live in Thailand, can I ask what you are currently driving?

Driving now: 74' Olds Cutlass as a daily driver, and a 81 Cutlass Supreme as a almost finished Project now. Preowned cars in Thailand during a period of 15 years: I had owned 4 different Trans Ams in different time, (all with T- Tops), one Z28 Camaro, one 72' Dodge Challenger, a 72 T- Bird (429 cid), one 69 Holden Broughamm, one 72 Holden Monaro V8, one 65 Ford Falcon, Olds Regency 98, and the last one i had was a 56 Chevrolet Belair V8, customized, but in excellent Showroom condition. Just sold that one. Muscle Cars are rarely available in Thailand, just a matter of time to find them.

Edited by stingray

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driving north on Bang Yai Rd yesterday, about 15km from Bank Yai om the right was a place with 5 old USA cars, all looked in good condition, 3 one behind the other on one side of the drive and 2 on the other, at the top of the driveway there was what looked like a workshop with cars inside.....

Sorry don't know the makes and models of USA cars

Being from the UK and in particluar Coventry, i like to see old classics form the days when Coventry was THE major manufacturing hub for motors. Saw a Hillman Imp in tip-top, pristine condition in MBK car park last week. Saw a 1967 MGBGT on Wireless Road a few months ago, with the roof down and the two fat old farangs in it were sweating their tit's off :) I do like to see old Jaguar's in good conditon as they were built just down the road from where i grew up.

A friend of mine had a 1967 Ford Mustang until recently, the car of my dreams (well one of them) and i've seen loads of Hummers, Haven't seen a Hummer 8 yet though.

Saw a beautiful Volkswagen Split-Screen camper in Hua Hin a couple of weeks ago.

There are some amazing cars on the GT Cars, Bangkok website.

There are heaps of beautiful and classic motors in Thailand, just have to keep your eyes open.

On my trip yesterday there were 2 different Peugeot 407 SW Estates, one still on red plates.. a white new model Subaru Legacy Estate and Silver Forester Estate, a bright red Skoda Fabia Estate, a Audi A6 Estate and NEVER before seen anywhere before a Jaguar type X Estate

Estates in Thailand are rare... one of the Peugeot 407 SW Estates I was following and it said HDi so was a diesel

Seen a carrera gt running around my office at night, only caught a glimpse but my jaws dropped! Lots of lambos and ferraris at paragon's "supercar club".

Saw a bentley continental gt entering central world last week, now thats a pretty rare car to see on the streets as well, even more rare than lambos and ferraris in my opinion, since people with that money would just buy a lambo or ferrari.

Green Mercedes Gullwing 300 SL on sukhumvit road, now thats one hel_l of a car! I think this 40+ year old car is worth more than 10 million in thailand.

Now just waiting to catch a climpse of a bugatti, ferrari enzo, f40, or f50 ... only seen it in pictures from the thailand ferrari club website.

veyr.jpg

Picture taken in the emporium suite car park, 1st place on the right, I might have been lucky cause never see it again since then!

You could have bought it for the affordable price of 165m Baht... lol

But, it won't be the most expensive car in LOS as next year, the Aston Martin One-77 will be available for 225m Baht according to the Bangkok Post...

Edited by yadetout

• 2 weeks later...
The nicest cars I have ever seen in Thailand, well there are a few about real unusual cars, around the 60 - 70's a Dark Blue Triumph 2.5TC, Red TR7, Yellow Rover 2.2TC but the best 2 I have seen are both Citroen's a DS saloon in dark brown in showroom condition outside the 7/11 [the chevron and DS badge were gold not chrome, the seats were cream with brown piping] and a green with white roof DS Safari

As for Pickups, a 60's Mini pickup, Austin A30 pickup and the other day a early Range Rover pickup ?? [never seen one before]

The man said "nice" cars.

TR7? A Rover without a V8 in the front? Citroens?

HAVE WE NOTHING IN COMMON??!!

Hehehe....

As much as i like Ferraris (my favourite being the Testarossa though) i am laughing about them every time i see them.... there they sit in traffic jam, 12 cylinders pottering at idle, burning 25 liters of fuel per hour while moving at the exact same speed as the bus in front of them and the old Toyota behind.

But at least they can show off "hey i've got more money than you" respectively "i've got a really rich dad". And at the next speed-bump THEY are the ones who create the traffic jam while figuring out a way across the obstacle without causing a few 100k Baht damage.

That sort of car is 101% useless for Bangkok.

Best regards.....

Thanh

When the rich kids of Bkk in the Ferrari club go to Prince Bira Circuit, Pattaya, for their annual day of tyre squealing and fender bending, they actually put them all on a transporter!

THAT is how practical these baubels are for Thailand.

Er, at the risk of going off topic, how does one LOOK like an American??

There is a 1950's big black American car I see often, the driver is large with a even larger hat and always appears to wear a loud highly coloured shirt, could this be an American guy?? you simple do not see white guys normally wearing a hat

The man said "nice" cars.

TR7? A Rover without a V8 in the front? Citroens?

HAVE WE NOTHING IN COMMON??!!

Yes he did say nice cars, he did not say Exotic cars... a nice car to me is something that you do not see very often and in mint condition..

Horses for courses isnt it really, for me the best road car ive owned was an evo 6,.ive had hundreds in my 35+ years in the motor trade, as for Lotus mentioned earlier id say anyone that likes them has never owned one, its common knowledge in the uk that Lotus stands for Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious ! :) ,.however the mazda engined ones seem ok,British cars like the British Empire have all gone down the toilet,.if you want to see every exotic imaginable get yourself down to pattaya to the showroom on sukomvit, i kid you not there is one of everything there ! unbeleivable,. :D

I'm not american, i'm swiss, but i love american muscle cars as well, as we had GM (american) assembling in the sixties and early seventies in Switzerland. Therefore i grew up with all the american muscle cars. My family had GM dealership and we sold and service a lot of US cars in that time. So i know now for sure: If you ever fall in love with the Muscle cars, owned and drove them, it's like a sickness. This sickness you CAN"T heal. It's absolutely incurable. It's in the body forever and you depend on the need. A V8! It's like a drug! You need it for your life time! There is NO WAY ever get satisfied with Japanese or European cars. Even i tried very hard, try to drive Porsche, BMW,s Audis, Benz, etc. It NEVER worked out, NEVER satisfied. In the end i allways bought again a Muscke car.

Since you now live in Thailand, can I ask what you are currently driving?

He has choice of about 40 cars ,......

The one carrying my girlfriend from pattaya to the airport to greet and meet me !!! :) p

Roderick

Horses for courses isnt it really, for me the best road car ive owned was an evo 6,.ive had hundreds in my 35+ years in the motor trade, as for Lotus mentioned earlier id say anyone that likes them has never owned one, its common knowledge in the uk that Lotus stands for Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious ! :D ,.however the mazda engined ones seem ok,British cars like the British Empire have all gone down the toilet,.if you want to see every exotic imaginable get yourself down to pattaya to the showroom on sukomvit, i kid you not there is one of everything there ! unbeleivable,. :D

The one carrying my girlfriend from pattaya to the airport to greet and meet me !!! :) p

Roderick

Horses for courses isnt it really, for me the best road car ive owned was an evo 6,.ive had hundreds in my 35+ years in the motor trade, as for Lotus mentioned earlier id say anyone that likes them has never owned one, its common knowledge in the uk that Lotus stands for Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious ! :D ,.however the mazda engined ones seem ok,British cars like the British Empire have all gone down the toilet,.if you want to see every exotic imaginable get yourself down to pattaya to the showroom on sukomvit, i kid you not there is one of everything there ! unbeleivable,. :D

No, the one hwo drives the mother in law away.

The one carrying my girlfriend from pattaya to the airport to greet and meet me !!! :D p

Roderick

No, the one hwo drives the mother in law away.

:):D:D

Here in Phuket I have seen the following:

Evo 7/8/9 (one is a friends with 550hp)

Impreza Saloon, Wagon (mine) Type C RA-R

Porsche Turbo, GT3

3x GTR 35's

Jag XK8

Ferrari 440,355,348,400i (very nice old thing)

Audi TT's a few.

some of us go driving off the island in the Jap cars, excellent fun and no speed cameras!

post-48094-1247643271_thumb.jpg

Porsche Turbo, GT3

3x GTR 35's

Jag XK8

Audi TT's a few.

some of us go driving off the island in the Jap cars, excellent fun and no speed cameras!

Are the subaru's reliable? I would have thought parts and service would be expensive...and second hand cars would likely have been thrashed. Would be nice to have a "fast" second car in the garage for weekend runs!

merc52800th.jpg

Have seen a lovely restored 1948 Mercedes around in Chiang mai,saw it again today

on the moat and driven by an older thai guy and his wife.

Last time I saw one was in 1971 and the lady wanted $350 Aus,I thought at the time I would be stretching my budget!

I ended up owning a rare 1960 190 Diesel for 32 years,ended up restoring it then selling before I moved over here.

Porsche Turbo, GT3

3x GTR 35's

Jag XK8

Audi TT's a few.

Are the subaru's reliable? I would have thought parts and service would be expensive...and second hand cars would likely have been thrashed. Would be nice to have a "fast" second car in the garage for weekend runs!

not had too many problems with mine in the last 2 years, mostly service items. Have uprated the brakes and gearbox ( drove to KL and got the work done there) Motorimage is the importer and they are very helpful for various bits and pieces. If not then try siamsubaru on the web, loads of bits and cars for sale. Most of them are real WRX/STI, but some are converted from base models, just check the chassis plate and then send the details to motorimage, they will tell you what you are looking at. The club is friendly and helpful.

I saw a 1961 Lincoln Continental on my way out of Bumrungrad Hospital, car was in excellent condition. The car stopped right in front of the Bumrungrad Clinic building, and an fellow expat exited from the suicide door! (for those who don't know what suicide doors are, look it up online :) )

1961_lincoln_continental.jpg