What's The Nicest Car You Have Seen In Thailand?

kjhbigv

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

Since i'm not into luxury cars i vote for something humble.......

A 70's Volkswagen Golf GTI (model I with the chrome bumpers and small tail lights) in showroom condition!

Best regards.....

Thanh

Nothing wrong with an early GTI, I had a MKI (but the slightly later facelift one) with larger rear lights! Nice car and quick for it's time!

Sure it was a GTI, just that I didn't think they did the MKI GTI with chrome bumpers, only the standard model? Had one of them as well, that was not so good!

from a bit back.... but immediately thought of it again when reading the thread title...

Bingo!... I found it.

This is what I've seen a couple of times here in Sriracha.

It's a black 1957 Rolls Royce Wraith:

1957-Rolls-Royce-Wraith.jpg

uhmm... minus the cutesy white ribbons that are in this pic that I lifted from a UK wedding services company.

First time I spotted it, it was parked on the street and I caught it's front-on view with the massive and very distinctive front grill. Just about caused me to lose control of the motorbike at the time.

wow that 300sl in yadetout's post is one of my dream cars... such a limited production run... I wonder how many are even left today. To see one in Thailand is incredible.... I've only ever seen a few in the whole world in person and only ever sat in one.

That's really a dream car that I will probably never get to own :) But they sure are beautiful....

edit: just saw SJ's post with the Wraith. There is a Rolls parked outside the Eugenia Hotel just past Abhisit's house on Suk 31 - I think they use it to pick up guests... not sure of the model, though.

Edited by jcon

Hi.

Since i'm not into luxury cars i vote for something humble.......

A 70's Volkswagen Golf GTI (model I with the chrome bumpers and small tail lights) in showroom condition!

Best regards.....

Thanh

Thanh

Those where the times 78-83 Golf GTi Mk1, with its 800kg and 110-112 hp. Most fun shop cart ever.

I used to have several of them, but my favorite was a 1983 Convertible all white with large rims and yellow Koni shocks, 1800cc/112hp.

Would love to find one here. :)

Hi.

I haven't seen a convertible here, but a surprising number of top-notch Mk1 Golfs. By "top notch" i mean really top condition, next to or totally showroom, like new. And all of those that i saw appeared to be used at least regularly, if not daily. And not even modified in any which way!

In Germany you can hardly find an Mk1 Golf that doesn't have spoilers, mags, lower, wider, harder and the like. Those people who are into youngtimers still modify them, using "Kamei" and "Zender" bits from back then, but here...... i can only say "wow", top original condition.

I have never owned a Golf however three Polos, one of which was an all-stock '93 G40 Coupe. I don't know how much it weighs but with it's supercharged 1,300cc and 129 horses it's a nice pocket rocket as well, breaking the 200 km/h rather easily. People were laughing at me for driving it with the stock mags and stock 165/70/13 rubbers... however i was laughing at them at the gas station, rarely more than 7 liters and i was "pedal to the metal" most of the time :) That was my daily drive, 60km one-way commute.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi.

I haven't seen a convertible here, but a surprising number of top-notch Mk1 Golfs. By "top notch" i mean really top condition, next to or totally showroom, like new. And all of those that i saw appeared to be used at least regularly, if not daily. And not even modified in any which way!

In Germany you can hardly find an Mk1 Golf that doesn't have spoilers, mags, lower, wider, harder and the like. Those people who are into youngtimers still modify them, using "Kamei" and "Zender" bits from back then, but here...... i can only say "wow", top original condition.

I have never owned a Golf however three Polos, one of which was an all-stock '93 G40 Coupe. I don't know how much it weighs but with it's supercharged 1,300cc and 129 horses it's a nice pocket rocket as well, breaking the 200 km/h rather easily. People were laughing at me for driving it with the stock mags and stock 165/70/13 rubbers... however i was laughing at them at the gas station, rarely more than 7 liters and i was "pedal to the metal" most of the time :) That was my daily drive, 60km one-way commute.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi

Yeah, the original Mk1 GTi with the original lip-spoiler (always black as I remember). 13 inch wheels replaced with 195/50-15 and Koni shocks to try to keep the inner rear wheel on ground when cornering................. A bar/rod between the McPherson struts in the engine bay was also effective

The Kamei and Zenders looked silly then and still do.

With a friend I drove from Denmark to the North Pole, 2100 km in 16 hours at 8litres/10km. 1982 black GTi 1,8/112hp

Last time in BKK I noticed:

- Tuned Skyline ( Big turbo spool sound ) red color I believe

- Some BMW 325i's and the big 7 series offcourse and the Mercedes-Benz models.

- Some classic american cars.

- Many more, but I can't remember. If you focus, you'l notice alot, besides all the Toyota's, Honda's, Nissan and 4 x 4's.

Those where the times 78-83 Golf GTi Mk1, with its 800kg and 110-112 hp. Most fun shop cart ever.

Agreed, I just can't believe it only had a pathetic 112bhp, at the time I thought it was an intergalatic power beast! How things have moved on...250bhp is nothing nowadays (in the real world!)

Has to be said the 300SL, beautiful car and worth a few quid as well!

Ok, first to see a Bugatti Veyron with photo in Thailand wins the thread! I can see some nifty software coming into play here! :)

Since I am American I like American Muscle cars. Saw this 1969 Dodge Charger R/T with the original 440 (7.2 liter) engine.

Looked better than when it was new.

69Charger.jpg

Edited by Rdrokit

A thai investment banker that I play football with around navamin road, BKK has a yellow lamborghini Gallardo, a graphite new skyline and a porsche cayenne.

Poor guy, how does he decide what to drive each day?!

Since I am American I like American Muscle cars. Saw this 1969 Dodge Charger R/T with the original 440 (7.2 liter) engine.

Looked better than when it was new.

69Charger.jpg

I'm not american, i'm swiss, but i love american muscle cars as well, as we had GM (american) assembling in the sixties and early seventies in Switzerland. Therefore i grew up with all the american muscle cars. My family had GM dealership and we sold and service a lot of US cars in that time. So i know now for sure: If you ever fall in love with the Muscle cars, owned and drove them, it's like a sickness. This sickness you CAN"T heal. It's absolutely incurable. It's in the body forever and you depend on the need. A V8! It's like a drug! You need it for your life time! There is NO WAY ever get satisfied with Japanese or European cars. Even i tried very hard, try to drive Porsche, BMW,s Audis, Benz, etc. It NEVER worked out, NEVER satisfied. In the end i allways bought again a Muscke car.

Edited by stingray

I'm not american, i'm swiss, but i love american muscle cars as well, as we had GM (american) assembling in the sixties and early seventies in Switzerland. Therefore i grew up with all the american muscle cars. My family had GM dealership and we sold and service a lot of US cars in that time. So i know now for sure: If you ever fall in love with the Muscle cars, owned and drove them, it's like a sickness. This sickness you CAN"T heal. It's absolutely incurable. It's in the body forever and you depend on the need. A V8! It's like a drug! You need it for your life time! There is NO WAY ever get satisfied with Japanese or European cars. Even i tried very hard, try to drive Porsche, BMW,s Audis, Benz, etc. It NEVER worked out, NEVER satisfied. In the end i always bought again a Muscle car.

AMEN! :)

The rarest and most expensive supercar I saw in Thailand was the Bugatti Veyron (I've heard that it was sold for 160 millions bahts in LOS), others were the Enzo and many ferrari's (430 360...), Lamborghini's (Muceliago and Gallardo) and couple times the DBS but might have be the same everytime.

I could also name the SL300 as pictured in a previous post, I also saw it at a secon square car show and heard that is one of the rarest car in the world altought that was not a very good car...

Edited by ultime

Agreed, I just can't believe it only had a pathetic 112bhp, at the time I thought it was an intergalatic power beast! How things have moved on...250bhp is nothing nowadays (in the real world!)

Has to be said the 300SL, beautiful car and worth a few quid as well!

Ok, first to see a Bugatti Veyron with photo in Thailand wins the thread! I can see some nifty software coming into play here! :)

Friend's uncle has a Veyron in Thailand.

He has pictures of himself sitting in it on his Facebook page, but I haven't seen it yet

Walking from the Emporium last year I heard the distinct note of a 12 cylinder Ferarri. As I turned I enjoyed the site of a 550 Maranello crusin up Sukhumvit Rd. A stark contrast to the "have not's" of Thailand.

Hehehe....

As much as i like Ferraris (my favourite being the Testarossa though) i am laughing about them every time i see them.... there they sit in traffic jam, 12 cylinders pottering at idle, burning 25 liters of fuel per hour while moving at the exact same speed as the bus in front of them and the old Toyota behind.

But at least they can show off "hey i've got more money than you" respectively "i've got a really rich dad". And at the next speed-bump THEY are the ones who create the traffic jam while figuring out a way across the obstacle without causing a few 100k Baht damage.

That sort of car is 101% useless for Bangkok.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hehehe....

As much as i like Ferraris (my favourite being the Testarossa though) i am laughing about them every time i see them.... there they sit in traffic jam, 12 cylinders pottering at idle, burning 25 liters of fuel per hour while moving at the exact same speed as the bus in front of them and the old Toyota behind.

But at least they can show off "hey i've got more money than you" respectively "i've got a really rich dad". And at the next speed-bump THEY are the ones who create the traffic jam while figuring out a way across the obstacle without causing a few 100k Baht damage.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I love those Italians, but they are actually useless on LOS highway too. The surface isnt good enough so they drive with a cloud of sparks after them.

Late 2006 I bought a new 2007 Camry 2,4, and my friend did too. Both white pearl . His was lowered 25 mm, and 20 inch wheels. Improved traction, but couldnt keep up with me because of all the sparks and noises under the car. :)

The nicest cars I have ever seen in Thailand, well there are a few about real unusual cars, around the 60 - 70's a Dark Blue Triumph 2.5TC, Red TR7, Yellow Rover 2.2TC but the best 2 I have seen are both Citroen's a DS saloon in dark brown in showroom condition outside the 7/11 [the chevron and DS badge were gold not chrome, the seats were cream with brown piping] and a green with white roof DS Safari

As for Pickups, a 60's Mini pickup, Austin A30 pickup and the other day a early Range Rover pickup ?? [never seen one before]

Seen a few of these kicking around reminds me of being a kid a s my Dad had one

post-66436-1245914035_thumb.jpg

I'm not american, i'm swiss, but i love american muscle cars as well, as we had GM (american) assembling in the sixties and early seventies in Switzerland. Therefore i grew up with all the american muscle cars. My family had GM dealership and we sold and service a lot of US cars in that time. So i know now for sure: If you ever fall in love with the Muscle cars, owned and drove them, it's like a sickness. This sickness you CAN"T heal. It's absolutely incurable. It's in the body forever and you depend on the need. A V8! It's like a drug! You need it for your life time! There is NO WAY ever get satisfied with Japanese or European cars. Even i tried very hard, try to drive Porsche, BMW,s Audis, Benz, etc. It NEVER worked out, NEVER satisfied. In the end i allways bought again a Muscke car.

Since you now live in Thailand, can I ask what you are currently driving?

Hehehe....

Best regards.....

Thanh

I love those Italians, but they are actually useless on LOS highway too. The surface isnt good enough so they drive with a cloud of sparks after them.

Late 2006 I bought a new 2007 Camry 2,4, and my friend did too. Both white pearl . His was lowered 25 mm, and 20 inch wheels. Improved traction, but couldnt keep up with me because of all the sparks and noises under the car. :)

Chatted to a high end car dealer years ago and he said he made as much money from his repair shop repairing undersides as he did from sales which surprised me considering the incredibly high sales prices.

A buddy gave me the keys to his Testarossa years ago and I was to scared to take it out of golf course community where we both lived in case I damaged it and went bankrupt fixing it. Never got it above 2nd gear