Bluewater School Increases Fees By 7 1/2 %

After having read this topic I couldn't stand not to sign up and show my opinion.

I'm a 100% Thai mother who sends her kid to Blue Water. Funny is I've understood, since I got the first letter that came with the invoice, that if you pay on time (1 month earlier to the opening of new coming semester) you'll get a 5% discount, not like they just offer this deal after they got negative feedback from some parents. So if you want 5% discount...pay on time... or read more clear as you are all native English speakers I guess.

So from the beginning it's only a 2.5 % increase, with 5% extra if you wish to pay late. Sounds reasonable to me in the current economic climate. I'd rather have my kid in a school with good facilities which is financially healthy than in a school which is nothing more than a Thai public school with English teachers and which has to rely on donations to survive. I have seen what stress many kids and parents got when they had to move from Open Gates when the money ran out and hate to see this happen to any kid or parent. So my money is with the school that has most chance of supplying my kid with quality education now and in the many years to come.

Could you qualify "quality education" please.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the shool, its teachers and pupils continually assessed at Bluewater? Would be intrigued to see what Ofsted made of it. Could we ask?

Go to the meeting, go to the school, but we are not going to start in on various schools and their merits or faults. I think we've had more than enough of that here as it is.

i just want to thank the mods for letting the thread run and allowing some interesting facts and opinions to come out. I realize this can be a hot topic and subject to flames but it has, is and always will be a subject of interest for those of us with school aged children or have an interest in seeing families with school aged children move to the island.

cheers,

i just want to thank the mods for letting the thread run and allowing some interesting facts and opinions to come out. I realize this can be a hot topic and subject to flames but it has, is and always will be a subject of interest for those of us with school aged children or have an interest in seeing families with school aged children move to the island.

cheers,

Seconded..

can you answer if it is true as an earlier poster said that you are in fact breaking the law by sending your thai child to an unregistered school. Thank you

After spending nearly half an hour calling to the Office of the Private Education Commission and being transferred a dozen times before I got the right person on the phone to ask your question, I found the answer was "NO" it isn't against the law. But it could be a struggle for me if I want to move my kid back to Thai Public school, because International schools do not follow Thai Curriculum standard. I am hoping that Bluewater will get accreditation soon, but if the choice is between a Thai public school or a non-accredited International school like Bluewater, then I will choose the second. I have seen the progress in the 1 year my kid is attending Bluewater and it is amazing.

ps. I never studied abroad. I was lucky enough for my parents to send me to a good university here.

pps. English spellcheck program is great!

Edited by comic

can you answer if it is true as an earlier poster said that you are in fact breaking the law by sending your thai child to an unregistered school. Thank you

After spending nearly half an hour calling to the Office of the Private Education Commission and being transferred a dozen times before I got the right person on the phone to ask your question, I found the answer was "NO" it isn't against the law. But it could be a struggle for me if I want to move my kid back to Thai Public school, because International schools do not follow Thai Curriculum standard. I am hoping that Bluewater will get accreditation soon, but if the choice is between a Thai public school or

a non-accredited International school like Bluewater, This has been my issue with BW and several of the other so called internatioanl schools. The fees have always been on par with an accredited school which it is and never has been. IMO get the license then price accordingly not pretend to be an international school with high fees and HOPE to qualify later with no guarantees that it will ever happen.

Any outcome from the meeting?

Unfortunatly none..... It just went round in circles, i still cannot understand where the justification is for the increase in fees, especially when you take into account the extra pupils. And from what I could glee from the meeting it sounds like the fees will be likely to increase each year, to cover more buildings and paddling pools, which is'nt very good for long term customers.

Any outcome from the meeting?

Unfortunatly none..... It just went round in circles, i still cannot understand where the justification is for the increase in fees, especially when you take into account the extra pupils. And from what I could glee from the meeting it sounds like the fees will be likely to increase each year, to cover more buildings and paddling pools, which is'nt very good for long term customers.

i must have been at a different meeting

2.5 % increase if fees are paid on time !

Invetsing in the future of the school , which is in return is investment in our childrens future

the influx of open gates students , has been a burden and a benefit , but progreesed the upper schools plans with the increase in facilities required to facilitate the numbers now generated ,but most if not all the increase in revenue stream would have been taken up by this .

Not great timing but understandable

Investment in teaching staff , investment in facilities equals investment in our children

need to watch and monitor future increases in fees , but we should not dam_n a school for what we think thet might do in the future

The future plans were outlined and parents can now choose what they are going to do based upon the following information

1. this years increase will be 2.5% (which if splitting hairs is still actually 7.5% but now includes a 5% extra discount to those parents who pay annually)

2. an expression of intent to continue this scale of investment for the future.

3. No one will be able to complain next year as the headmaster has explained his views and his vision for the school whcih will require future spending at the same sort of levels.

4.2/3rds of operating costs are spent on teachers and their contractually agreed pay rises.

5.There is apparently a large number of parents who do not pay on time or default.

6. Interest rates need to be paid on loans which the school has taken out

While the meeting may have appeared to go around and around Mr Lees was very open about future investemnt and his intentions to continue what he sees as necessary improvements to reach the top table. Stressing that he aspires the school to be like Eton or Harrow or Dulwich.

Parents can now make an informed choice as to wether they believe in this future and wether they wish to contribute to making this happen.

The facts are now in the open and that is a good thing. However clearly the feelings of a lot of parents were not perhaps as stong as others illustrated by the rather poor turnout for what should have been an important meeting.

Perhaps the PTA need to accept some blame for failing to notify parents (as not all read TV) and for not being able to express these parental views at an earlier stage, thus avoiding the need for a lot of this emotional outcrying.

Thanks for TV for re opening this thread and allowing constructive debate prior to the meeting

Since this issue has now been addressed, this thread has served it's purpose.If any other developments pertaining to this subject arise, please let me know.

Thank you.

Rooo.