Why Limes But No Lemons?

I love lemonade and want to make some but never see lemons in the markets or stores. Limes, yes many (albeit very small), but no lemons. It seems they both would be in the same family of fruits and if lime trees grow here that lemons could too. Anybody know why no lemons? Maybe Thais don't like the taste? Or maybe I am not looking in the right places?

Edited by Lopburi99

The Makro store in here Udon usually has lemons and sometimes at a very decent price.

Makro has stores throughout Thailand.

Great. There is a Makro in Sa Kaew, I'll look there. They must be available somewhere in Lopburi too so I'll have the wife ask the locals. Haven't seen them in Big C or Tesco where we usually go.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Lopburi99

Wow, after 6 years in Thailand, there really are lemons here. Who'd a thunk it? :)

The reason why it's hard to find lemons in thailand is that lemons are not a fruit that can be grown in tropical climates. Up north some lemons are being grown now and the price is much less than the imported ones. And the quality is excellent. At the local market in Chiang Mai I pay about 25 baht a kilo for lemons, But they haven't been available since february.

Wow, after 6 years in Thailand, there really are lemons here. Who'd a thunk it? :)

The reason why it's hard to find lemons in thailand is that lemons are not a fruit that can be grown in tropical climates. Up north some lemons are being grown now and the price is much less than the imported ones. And the quality is excellent. At the local market in Chiang Mai I pay about 25 baht a kilo for lemons, But they haven't been available since february.

Is that the reason the don't grow real oranges here? Like Navel and so on

Wow, after 6 years in Thailand, there really are lemons here. Who'd a thunk it? :D

Due to their similarity I would believe lemons and limes to be about the same as far as difficulty to grow is concerned. However, the limes here are tiny so maybe the lime trees are more like bushes? I'm no farmer, I have no idea obviously. I assume the Thai lemons are probably also grown up north in Chiang Mai. I

Looked again at Tesco tonight, and no, still no lemons (but many limes). I bought a bottle of concentrated lemon drink syrup and tried making some "lemonade" -- not too bad, but a far cry from the real fruit lemonade drink which I crave. :)

Edited by Lopburi99

I've seen the orange orchards of Chiang Mai. Miles and miles of them. They aren't as pretty as Florida oranges for example, but they are sweet and very good.

I've seen the orange orchards of Chiang Mai. Miles and miles of them. They aren't as pretty as Florida oranges for example, but they are sweet and very good.

why do you never see them in the shops? the only ones I've seen are the imported ones from oz or california. I did bring an orange tree over from oz (just a small one) it just survived the trip in a container and had 1 leaf on it when it got here. With a little care and a bit of fertiliser I managed to find here I got it up to about 1m now and guys when I pick my first Navel I will send you a pick :D

I'm not the expert but I read somewhere that orange trees, valencia, navel, ect. are sub tropical fruits. What they grow around here we in the west call tangerines. They do grow a lot of lemons in Chiang Mai. In my wife's village her brother has one tree that produces the most perfectly shaped and untarnished lemons that I have ever seen around here. I have been asking for 2 years for some grafts. One foreigner is growing them in the mountains. The problem? He can't sell them. Thais do not buy lemons. Not all Thais, of course.

Edited by getgoin

Wow, after 6 years in Thailand, there really are lemons here. Who'd a thunk it? :D

Due to their similarity I would believe lemons and limes to be about the same as far as difficulty to grow is concerned. However, the limes here are tiny so maybe the lime trees are more like bushes? I'm no farmer, I have no idea obviously. I assume the Thai lemons are probably also grown up north in Chiang Mai. I

Not all limes are tiny, I have 5 lime trees that produce limes as big as lemons!! :D:D

Looked again at Tesco tonight, and no, still no lemons (but many limes). I bought a bottle of concentrated lemon drink syrup and tried making some "lemonade" -- not too bad, but a far cry from the real fruit lemonade drink which I crave. :)

I was looking at the lemons in Makro, Bangkapi recently and I think you will find they are imported. The ones I saw were labelled 'Citricos de Tucuman' originating from Argentina.

The ones I saw in 'Villa' last year were obviously imports and B195 per kilo!

I note a couple of posters have stated lemons (yellow) are being grown in Thailand (@'Getgoin' says there is someone growing them in the mountains but cannot find a market for them).

Can anyone say with any certainty whether they are able to grow in the climate here as there appears to be some contradiction although comments @'Getgoin' suggest it is possible but presumably not done to date as no market to sell to?

If anyone can provide contact info for anyone growing lemons in Thailand I would be very interested in their details as a potential purchaser. Presumably you would need to send me any details by private message as contact details are not allowed to be posted on the board?

Thanks