New Uk Passport

I am aged 47, my new UK passport arrives shortly with my first name now going to be spelled correctly (long story, not relevant here).

The old passport (full but in date by 2.5 years) contains my non-imm (multi) re-entry visa valid until November 2009, issued at the One Stop Centre in Bkk with Work Permit, and my notifications of stay/address, next one due July 2009.

I am shortly going to start work abroad, returning quarterly to my family on Samui, and intend to apply for a new non-Imm O (multi) when necessary.

My questions for your expert answers please:

1. Transfer of Visa to new passport at Samui Immigration, on departure or where or not possible/done?

2. Transfer of notification fo stay to new passport at Samui Immigration, on departure or where?

3. Carry both passports (until new visa appended to new passport)?

4. Carry birth certificate (until new visa appended to new passport)?

5. Request letter of name spelling change from Embassy?

6. When should I apply for the new one year non-imm O (multi) visa?

FYI, I have asked Samui Immigration, the One Stop Centre and Suan Pluu and received different responses!

Many thanks in anticipation, hope you like this brainteaser!

It appears that you have an extension of stay not a visa. And a re-entry permit,

You can go to immigration and they will transfer your extension and entry stamps over. And your re-entry permit.

The embassy should give you a letter asking them to do this or that they issued you a new passport. Immigration may ask for it. You may also need some documentaion from them also to explain the name change.

You don't apply for a visa at immigration that is done at a consulate or embassy. Immigration only does extensions.

On what basis are you getting the new extension/ Marriage or Retirement.

You can change the reason for your extension of stay on the date that the letter from your employer states is your last day of work. If you don't do it on that date you can be charged overstay for any time after that date.

It appears that you have an extension of stay not a visa. And a re-entry permit,

You can go to immigration and they will transfer your extension and entry stamps over. And your re-entry permit.

The embassy should give you a letter asking them to do this or that they issued you a new passport. Immigration may ask for it. You may also need some documentaion from them also to explain the name change.

You don't apply for a visa at immigration that is done at a consulate or embassy. Immigration only does extensions.

On what basis are you getting the new extension/ Marriage or Retirement.

You can change the reason for your extension of stay on the date that the letter from your employer states is your last day of work. If you don't do it on that date you can be charged overstay for any time after that date.

Thanks for trying to answer Joe.

Yes, it is a multi entry stamp from the One Stop Center in addition to my visa valid to Nov 09.

Will post what letter/docs the Embassy includes with new passport.

So I have to carry both passports as the visa won't be transferred?

Next visa reason will be supporting Thai family, as twice before.

Extension/new reason not required, in date until Nov 09

Any more offerings from other sage and experienced crew here please?

You don't have a visa. Visas are not issued by immigration. You have an extension of stay.

If you are not leaving the country every 90 days you do not have a visa.

Immigration will transfer every thing you need. No need to carry both passports.

If you have a multi entry (re-entry permit) you most likely do not have a valid visa. You have extended your stay for one year at the one stop center (probably for work) and then obtained the re-entry permit to match it. Both of these items can be transferred into the new passport but will probably only be done with access to your records (which Samui may not yet have if you have not asked for them to be transferred). If you are in Bangkok I would take the old/new and try the One Stop Center first.

If you have a multi entry (re-entry permit) you most likely do not have a valid visa. You have extended your stay for one year at the one stop center (probably for work) and then obtained the re-entry permit to match it. Both of these items can be transferred into the new passport but will probably only be done with access to your records (which Samui may not yet have if you have not asked for them to be transferred). If you are in Bangkok I would take the old/new and try the One Stop Center first.

Thanks Lopburi, for both your answer and tone! :-)

I've just managed to get a letter from one of the cousins (by post) which means I can do it all at the airport on my way out - questions 1-3 answered.

A slightly earlier trip to Bkk, day before my flt out, was on the cards but now shelved.

Question 5 is moot apparently, as the new passport has the correct spelling supported by my birth certificate which I will carry (copy).

Questions 6 will just have to wait until I come back on my next trip!

Thanks anyway.

They will not transfer over your stamps at the airport they will just stamp your departure in your old passport.

You will have to use your old passport when you return to show them your re-entry permit. Then they will stamp the entry and permit to stay stamps in your new passport.

You will still need to get the stamps transfered over when you get back.

If you have an extension of stay based on employment on the date your job ends your extension of stay also ends. You have to leave on that date or get a 7 day extension.

If you are going to change your extension to one based upon marriage to a Thai you should do it on the date your job ends. You will need a letter from your employer stating that you are not longer working effective on that date. If you present a letter that is dated before the day you go to immigration you will be charged overstay (500 baht per day) for every day after the date on the letter.