Best Bang For The Buck In Bangkok?

shepsel

I am planning to come in to BKK for some shopping and entertainment, and have been overwhelmed with the choices of hotels, and locations. I want to do some shopping, and go out for entertainment in the evenings, so I thought Sukhumvit would best suite my needs. I got a rate of 1600 baht per night including breakfast, and I was wondering if this is the my best choice, or if any of the TV members can give another recommendation.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions, and comments.

There are so many like you said.

I believe you get what you pay for.

How much do you want to spend?

1,000 baht will get you a basic room and probably not much else.

2,000 baht may get you a 4 star hotel with breakfast these days.

I just searched a bunch of them and ended up with Majestic Suites for 1200 baht. (includes breakfast but not free wireless internet)

I just searched a bunch of them and ended up with Majestic Suites for 1200 baht. (includes breakfast but not free wireless internet)

Ive stayed at majestic suites 3 times, great little hotel, close to the night life and yet very quiet in the rooms

I am planning to come in to BKK for some shopping and entertainment, and have been overwhelmed with the choices of hotels, and locations. I want to do some shopping, and go out for entertainment in the evenings, so I thought Sukhumvit would best suite my needs. I got a rate of 1600 baht per night including breakfast, and I was wondering if this is the my best choice, or if any of the TV members can give another recommendation.

I stay there every time I go the Bangkok, Two weeks each time. I saty on one of the one bedroom suites because of the long stay. I like it because of the location and the breakfast at the coffee shop is a plus. Now that they have free WiFi makes it better. Accross the street is a good laundry rum by a little chinse lady that does a good job. Also the foodLand in front of the hotel is handy. To each his own on hotels but I like it.

I was wondering if this is the my best choice, or if any of the TV members can give another recommendation.

You just need to shop around the various travel websites. Don't just assume that low price is low quality or vice versa. Last time in Bkk, I picked up a rate at my favorite hotel (the Conrad) that was almost 60% off their typical rate. Also, read the reviews and see what other people are saying about the place. A bunch of bad reviews and great price may not be the best deal. When I'm traveling or visiting an area, comfort, hospitality, security and safety are a lot more important than price.

Also, when checking the travel websites, verify which currency you will be billed in, when the actual billing will take place, and be sure whether the indicated price includes all taxes and surcharges or not. Similarly, if you book through a travel website, contact the actual hotel and verify that your reservation has been booked. A reputable travel website will probably use their own reservation number, but should also be able to to provide the individual hotel confirmation number.

Majestic Suites are good, I have stayed there and friends stayed there just a few months ago.

They do a lethal Long Island Iced Tea!!

I stayed there 2 weeks ago in a Superior room for around 1600 Baht. I only stayed there because the hotel I usually use was full up and the web site I use (Thaivisa Travel/R24) suggested this as an alternative.

The hotel was really nice and clean and the room had a bath tub. There is no swimming pool etc... but the faciltities of the sister hotel up the road can be used if you wish. The breakfast is adequate and as I ate at 6.30 am the tiny breakfast area - which doubles as the reception lounge - was empty.

Beware though, the back of the hotel faces onto the Nana Complex and could probably get noisy from the bars. Mind you I slept soundly as my room was on the 7th floor.

This is now my first choice hotel and as I am staying at the hotel next week, sounds like I had better get a move on and book it if its getting this popular!!! :)

I stayed at the Admiral Suites for 5 nights in March and think it probably is one of the ‘best bangs per buck’ around Sukhumvit. The inclusive breakfast in the coffee shop is individually cooked, hot and a cut above some of the hotel buffets. My one-bedroom suite had quality wooden flooring and fittings and – though a bit worn here and there – was generally very acceptable. The place was fairly quiet and in a good location. Sukhumvit and Washington Square are only a short walk away. Internet is free in the coffee shop but there is a charge for wireless access in the rooms. Actually, however, I found that I could connect to the coffee shop system from the first floor using the PW provided downstairs. My only gripe was that the receptionist tried to charge me in sterling on my credit card using DCC rather than bill me in baht as I asked, but I managed to nip this in the bud. I’m not sure that going to Agoda or one of the search engines will throw up anything better (I certainly tried several searches before my latest trip). Mid-priced hotels that I used to use a lot like the Regency Park, Windsor Suites and Tai Pan don’t seem to have as good discount deals online as they did a couple of years ago. Admiral Suites is of a similar standard at a lower price. Majestic Suites is one of the more competitive alternatives but I am rather put off by the problem of taxi pickup and drop off, given the location over a tailor’s shop on the main road. Some people get off in the Nana petrol station and have carry their bags across Soi 4.

Edited by citizen33

I've just booked the brand new Adelphi Grande Sukhumvit 41(7 mins from sky train) for under 1200 bht per night(using prom code).This includes ABF and free internet. No reviews yet but looks nice on their website. Based on their sister hotel "The Aldelphi Suites" and the reviews on tripadvisor I'm fairly confident that this is fair value for your bucks in BKK. Hotel has reasonable swimming pool and gym as well.

Edited by brizzle

Always depends upon what you want, how much time you spend in your room, what hours you keep and what you are doing for entertainment. If you're out until 5am with the girls and then partying back at the hotel, it is unlikely you'll want a place which wants to clean your room at 12pm or no clean towels etc.

Majestic has no frontage for taxis to stop so an issue with baggage or shopping.

Somerset down Soi 16 has washing / drying machines in the regular rooms and a good breakfast. Best prices on ratestogo.com

Check out Ibis Nana, brand new and prices starting from 1200 baht or so.

Or one of the guesthouses between soi 18 and 20, friendly staff, wifi and not so bad on price. Around 1400 should do it.

Hi Brizzle. Can you tell me which website you used to get that price on the Adelphi Grande?

You got a good deal there!

Thanks

More's the point, what is the promo code???

cheers!

Sure no problem- Orbitz and type in 4ODWR75 under the promotion code option. You will get the Adelphi Grande(if available for your dates) at approx 139 USD for 4 nights including ABF free wireless etc.The rooms even have mini kitchen with washer dryer. Take note of the prom code conditions though:-

Book a qualifying hotel between June 1, 2008 and June 25, 2009, for 4 or more nights for travel between June 1, 2008 and August 15, 2009, via Orbitz and instantly receive $75 off your booking through the use of the promotion code. To display qualifying hotels, click "I have a promotion code." and enter the promotion code, then look for hotels marked with the icon "COUPON." Limit one discount per hotel room and one promotion code per booking. Discount may not be used toward the booking of a vacation package. Discounts are not redeemable for cash for any reason. Any attempt at fraud will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Void where prohibited, taxed or restricted. Orbitz reserves the right to change or limit the promotion in its sole discretion.

Only a few days left to book for stays up to 15 August.

By the way if anybody is looking for a little less in space and facilities but an absolute giveaway then select the Premier Residence in Sathorn-about 550Bht pn(67 USD for 4 nights) with free Wifi /ABF,Satalite etc .I have stayed here recently -it's new,clean with rooms a little on the small side but every bit of space well utilised-easily the best value I have had in Bkk in the last 20 years.

Forget he Woriburi-ranked at 413 in BKK 0ut of 518 on tripadvisor- I stayed here for just one night about 2 years ago-arrived to see other people's pubic hair all over my newly washed "clean sheets". It will be strickly 3rd rate when compared to the Adelphi or Premier Residence.

Check this link:- http://www.tripadvisor.com/DirtyHotels?nl=MU&pid=1595 and select Asia hotels- it was voted in the top 10 of dirtiest hotels in Asia by people who stayed there.

And finally if anyone needs to book for post 15/8 then check to see if the prom code is extended- this has happened once already.

Edited by brizzle

I just wrote a reply to another posting about hotels in Bangkok so I will copy and paste what I wrote in the other post because it works here too.

I would recommend a serviced apartment instead of a hotel. From what I have seen when comparing hotels and serviced apartments, for the same price you always get a bigger and nicer room with a serviced apartment. Google "serviced apartments Bangkok" and you should be able to find some reviews by people who have stayed in a few to compare some within your budget. Good luck.

Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel, Executive Suite with River view. THB 7,450 a night. That is a deal.

Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel, Executive Suite with River view. THB 7,450 a night. That is a deal.

I got the price through the hotel which was a better deal than I was going to get through Asia Rooms.

Where did you find Majestic Suites for only 1200 baht..?????

Admiral Suites for 1600 bht is a good deal. I assume that rate is for a Studio apartment. However check out if this rate is nett and if includes high-speed internet. Hotels notoriously make money from the internet charge.

Also keep in mind that this is NOT right on Sukhumvit. I believe it's a good 10-min walk. Add to that another 6-7 min walk to either Asoke or Phrom Phong BTS. So if you're looking to hop on/hop off the BTS every day, this may not be your best location.

I just stayed last week at Legacy Suites (sister property), right on Sukhumvit, soi 29, across from soi 22. Very good overall, except for the gym!

Also check out the new Citadines on soi 11, 3-4 min walk to Nana BTS.

...................By the way if anybody is looking for a little less in space and facilities but an absolute giveaway then select the Premier Residence in Sathorn-about 550Bht pn(67 USD for 4 nights) with free Wifi /ABF,Satalite etc .I have stayed here recently -it's new,clean with rooms a little on the small side but every bit of space well utilised-easily the best value I have had in Bkk in the last 20 years..............................

Where did you find this deal? It's not on the website, it's considerably more expensive there.

Cheers

...................By the way if anybody is looking for a little less in space and facilities but an absolute giveaway then select the Premier Residence in Sathorn-about 550Bht pn(67 USD for 4 nights) with free Wifi /ABF,Satalite etc .I have stayed here recently -it's new,clean with rooms a little on the small side but every bit of space well utilised-easily the best value I have had in Bkk in the last 20 years..............................

Where did you find this deal? It's not on the website, it's considerably more expensive there.

Cheers

Depending what dates you want its still there on Orbitz.

Here's an example:-

121.47 USD Base rate

20.22 USD Taxes and fees

-75.00 USD Orbitz coupon

66.69 USD Total price

Selected room rates Jul 15-Jul 19

Wed Thu Fri Sat

40.49 40.49 40.49 FREE

First you need to deside whay you want your room for.

When I look for a room all I want is a clean room a comfy bed and good air-con, couldn't give a monkey's about breakfast, free wi-fi or anything else.

Brigante7.