Re-entries At Swampypoom

Make of this what you will......

Just flew out of Swampy this evening. Asked the immigration officer a hypothetical question, which he called over his superior to help answer.

- I asked what happens in the case of an emergency where (for example) someone finds out on a Friday evening that they have to fly for a family emergency and do not have time to get a re-entry down at Suan Phlu.

- He replied/acknowledged that it had caused some incovinience for people who were unware of the changes, and intimated that people should should 'suggest' to his superiors that the changes have cause inconvinience (though he did also say that processing them had caused a strain on their resources).

- He called over his boss to ask about 'what people should do' if they needed to leave urgently, and she responded with this:

1) Re-entry permits are not being issued at the airport - at all

2) In the case of people urgently having to leave, she said (and these are her translated words), given it is a transition period people are able to return to Thailand and get entry on arrival, and 'have their former status re-instated' down at Suan Phlu after their return. She did not elaborate on how this is done, but did stress that during this transition period, it was possible.

Now I'm not sure what to make of this as she was speaking on behalf of Suan Phlu, who I am sure have no idea on what she was talking about!

But maybe people, if they get the chance can make their own investigations, try to see if there is any more to this.

No doubt now this thread will be taken over by the 'thailand is going to hel_l in a hand basket' mob, so I leave the floor open to these people.....

Edited by samran

2) In the case of people urgently having to leave, she said (and these are her translated words), given it is a transition period people are able to return to Thailand and get entry on arrival, and 'have their former status re-instated' down at Suan Phlu after their return. She did not elaborate on how this is done, but did stress that during this transition period, it was possible.

I would say that she is guessing as there is no mention of this anywhere.

Strange that they say that you cannnot get a re-entry permit at all there. The immigration order said one could be gotten in case of an emergency. So it appears that is not true.

I doubt very much that immigration will do anything to rectify leaving without a re-entry permit. Most people that have had it happen already have had to start over again by getting a new extension.

This is the reason we always suggest that people get at least a single re-entry permit when they do their extensions.

It only costs 1000 baht and is valid for the length of the extension. It is really some inexpensive insurance against an evergency or unplanned trip coming up and not having one and then going through all the time and expense of getting a new extension.

though he did also say that processing them had caused a strain on their resources

Since all you need to issue a re-entry permit is a rubber stamp and a cash box to put the fee in, their resources must be pretty thin on the ground.

They could sub-contract this routine administrative task to King Power who could open a booth and take commission on each passport stamped. This would be a lot more convenient for many people.

Yes, I am joking. But not by much!

though he did also say that processing them had caused a strain on their resources

Since all you need to issue a re-entry permit is a rubber stamp and a cash box to put the fee in, their resources must be pretty thin on the ground.

They could sub-contract this routine administrative task to King Power who could open a booth and take commission on each passport stamped. This would be a lot more convenient for many people.

Yes, I am joking. But not by much!

I think you are suggesting a logical solution, that's why it could never happen.

Edited by theoldgit