New Police Scam - Got Set Up Today

Tokay

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Apoint of law maybe needs a little clarification here, me I have no idea.

Wouldn't be the pillion passanger's responsibility to pay the fine if she/he was over the age of twenty, same as it is not the car driver's responsibility to ensure any passenger over the age of twenty is wearing a seatbelt?

Well, I was ticketed in Chiang Mai for my wife not wearing helmet. I was told it was my responsibilty to insure my rider had one on.

But here-in lies the problem. There are some unscrupulous members of the police force that will tell you anything to get the pay-off.

I would really like to know the actual law as to whose responsability it is. In other words, whose name goes on the ticket.

Ask a moto-cy taxi driver.

Is he responsible that his passenger wears a helmet?

The reason you will get pulled over is if you speed or drive in the inside lane too much
Eh!?

The inside lane?

In Bangkok, it's for being in the outside lane. :D

The "inside", or right, lane is for passing only. The "outside", or left, lane is for slower traffic, and those cars and trucks heading the wrong way on the divided highway.

When I drive in BKK it seems to be the same way. Outside lane is slow, inside lane is fast(er). :D

You have this back to front - The inside lane is the left lane

When I drive in Thailand, I am sitting on the right hand side of the car, as I face forward. Correct?

When I drive in Thailand on a divided highway, I will be driving on the two lanes (or more) on the left side of the median strip facing the direction I am heading. Correct?

The right side of my car will be closer to the median strip than the left side of my car. Correct?

This makes the inside lane (closest to the median strip) the right lane. Correct?

Conversely, this would then make the outside lane the left lane of the two lanes on my side. Correct?

The inside (right) lane is normally used for the faster traffic, thereby relegating the outside (left) lane to slower traffic and those driving the wrong way on the highway. Correct?

I have studied this phenomenon closely and it works whether I am heading north, south, east or west.

Now, if I am driving in most parts of the civilized world, the reverse holds true as I will be sitting on the left hand side of the car, where all the steering apparatus is located. Correct?

Somebody diagram it for me if I am wrong. :)

Wouldn't be the pillion passanger's responsibility to pay the fine if she/he was over the age of twenty, same as it is not the car driver's responsibility to ensure any passenger over the age of twenty is wearing a seatbelt?

Well, I was ticketed in Chiang Mai for my wife not wearing helmet. I was told it was my responsibilty to insure my rider had one on.

But here-in lies the problem. There are some unscrupulous members of the police force that will tell you anything to get the pay-off.

I would really like to know the actual law as to whose responsability it is. In other words, whose name goes on the ticket.

Ask a moto-cy taxi driver.

Is he responsible that his passenger wears a helmet?

"Mr. John" is what was written on the top of mine.

Went to the cop shop to pay and the SSG there told me "400 baht", I told him last time it was 200 baht. He smiled and said "Ok, 200 baht".

Phukin' crook!

The one who wrote me refused all monies offered by the wife and simply stated.." You must pay at the station". Maybe one honest one. :)

When I drive in Thailand, I am sitting on the right hand side of the car, as I face forward. Correct?

When I drive in Thailand on a divided highway, I will be driving on the two lanes (or more) on the left side of the median strip facing the direction I am heading. Correct?

The right side of my car will be closer to the median strip than the left side of my car. Correct?

This makes the inside lane (closest to the median strip) the right lane. Correct?

Conversely, this would then make the outside lane the left lane of the two lanes on my side. Correct?

The inside (right) lane is normally used for the faster traffic, thereby relegating the outside (left) lane to slower traffic and those driving the wrong way on the highway. Correct?

I have studied this phenomenon closely and it works whether I am heading north, south, east or west.

Now, if I am driving in most parts of the civilized world, the reverse holds true as I will be sitting on the left hand side of the car, where all the steering apparatus is located. Correct?

As an Aussie driving on the same side of the road as most do in Thailand what you say is correct.

I have never been able to get my head around people calling the outside lane the inside lane. Inside of what? In a dual carriageway situation the left lane is on the outside of the road, the right lane is on the inside of the road.

How else could it possible be?

As an Aussie driving on the same side of the road as most do in Thailand what you say is correct.

I have never been able to get my head around people calling the outside lane the inside lane. Inside of what? In a dual carriageway situation the left lane is on the outside of the road, the right lane is on the inside of the road.

How else could it possible be?

LOL.

The left hand lane is the 'near side' lane and near to the pavement, the buildings, but I do see your point in thinking it is strange to have an inside lane on the outside unless it is the outside lane on the outside of the driver when you are driving on the inside (left hand) lane.

LOL is right G54.

I see your way of thinking too now.

I imagine this is one of those different strokes for different country kinda things.

Although I dread the day I am driving with a passenger telling me the (my) outside lane is free when and I end up in (your) inside lane causing an accident.

Wandered off topic I know, but I didn't realise that other countries called the lane nearest the kerb the outside lane!

So in Thailand you would say that a car passing you on the right is overtaking in the inside lane?

Confusing!!! Maybe best to keep to left and right lane.

Soundman,

I can't speak for the entire western world, but I am aware that in some states of Australia, that in the example you give above, regarding seats belts and helmets that in certain situations both the driver & passenger can be fined for the passenger not wearing. For example regarding seatbelts, If a car is being driven by a person wearing a seat belt but three passengers inside the car arnt wearing the seatbelt, the driver can be given a fine for driving a vehicle with 3 unrestrained passengers & each passenger over 16 can be given their own fine. Its big bucks too, I think its NSW that does that and the individual fines are about $250 AUD, whereas the driver would get a larger fine, with 4 unrestrained passengers being about $900. He may also lose his drivers licence due to the demerit points system they have.

Obviously its very different here in Thailand, personally I would luv to see a copy of the driving regs here transcribed into english, at least knowing the real rules would have us on a more level playing field.

In my case, I was wearing a full face helmet, my passenger was not. The fine that the Police officer was going to write me from what I understand is; drive motorcycle without helmet. I asked him why the fine wasnt going to say; ride motorcycle with passanger without helmet & he tried to explain it was all the same. SURE IT WAS. I also asked my gf to photograph me talking to the Police Officer, still with my hat on, as I never took it off & he put us in the two hard basket. It sure does help having the ability to understand some thai and a gf that is 90% in english & of course he had absolutely no idea what we were talking about (Not a tourist area).

At the end of the day, its just a few hundred baht, not something to get too upset about or get shot over, but the principal of these things really suck.

Soundman,

I can't speak for the entire western world, but I am aware that in some states of Australia, that in the example you give above, regarding seats belts and helmets that in certain situations both the driver & passenger can be fined for the passenger not wearing. For example regarding seatbelts, If a car is being driven by a person wearing a seat belt but three passengers inside the car arnt wearing the seatbelt, the driver can be given a fine for driving a vehicle with 3 unrestrained passengers & each passenger over 16 can be given their own fine. Its big bucks too, I think its NSW that does that and the individual fines are about $250 AUD, whereas the driver would get a larger fine, with 4 unrestrained passengers being about $900. He may also lose his drivers licence due to the demerit points system they have.

That has also been my understanding of the traffic laws in WA neverdie.

In Chang Mai a couple of Years back, and got a fine for wearing no cap, (the shop where we reneted the bike did not offer us one)

My partner is a Muslim, and he told me to wear a headscarf until we get back to the shop, he said that the police won't bother you if wearing a scarf like Muslim, they will think you are Muslim.

I have seen a lot of Muslim ladies also around Pattaya without wearing a Motorcycle Cap, is this ok for them? I just wondered.

Soundman,

That has also been my understanding of the traffic laws in WA neverdie.

Yes & I think Vic and Qld have similar. I just know that despite the Australian Road Rules that the traffic laws around the big land are different depending on which state you are in, as NSW was the only state to fully adopt the ARR's. Some big bickies in traffic enforcement down under....wouldnt mind a slice of that action :)

In Chang Mai a couple of Years back, and got a fine for wearing no cap, (the shop where we reneted the bike did not offer us one)

My partner is a Muslim, and he told me to wear a headscarf until we get back to the shop, he said that the police won't bother you if wearing a scarf like Muslim, they will think you are Muslim.

I have seen a lot of Muslim ladies also around Pattaya without wearing a Motorcycle Cap, is this ok for them? I just wondered.

Pattaya Girl, did youre partner 'tell you to" or suggest you wear the headscarf???

He told me to wear a headscarf until we got back to the motorcycle shop to get another cap, as he thought we might get stopped again as we were quite a long way away.

I asked him if Muslim Ladies are exempt from wearing caps, and he didnt know, hence me asking on here.

When I am down Soi Nernplubwan in the Muslim area, nearly all the Muslim Ladies have no cap, to be honest I cant imagine one wearing one over that scarf, unless they take it off, which the good ones don't like to do because of there Religion.

I did read about this once. If your religion dictates that you wear a headcovering that prevents you from wearing a helmet, then you don't have to wear one. I think that they only actually referred to Sikhs.

I'm not sure if a Muslim headscarf is thick enough to prevent you from wearing a helmet.

^I can see why he might suggest you wear one. Its probably an even brighter idea to wear a helmet in case of an accident, but thats a whole other story.

I think you are missing my point, I was enquiring about whether or not you were being 'told' what to do, which afterall is none of my business other than I hope our famous PG is being taken good care of. :)

^I can see why he might suggest you wear one. Its probably an even brighter idea to wear a helmet in case of an accident, but thats a whole other story.

I think you are missing my point, I was enquiring about whether or not you were being 'told' what to do, which afterall is none of my business other than I hope our famous PG is being taken good care of. :D

Thankyou Neverdie, I think he did'nt want another fine lol.

I hope he was taking care of me as well.. :)

I did read about this once. If your religion dictates that you wear a headcovering that prevents you from wearing a helmet, then you don't have to wear one. I think that they only actually referred to Sikhs.

I'm not sure if a Muslim headscarf is thick enough to prevent you from wearing a helmet.

But surely a Muslim Headscarf is not thick enough to protect your scull in a Road accident !!!

But surely a Muslim Headscarf is not thick enough to protect your scull in a Road accident !!!

No, that's why I wrote that I'm not sure that a Muslim headscarf would be thick enough to prevent you wearing a helmet. You'd probably just need a bigger helmet. A turban is a different matter, helmets would have to be specially made to cover one.

I know its a bit off topic but here is another point that I never found out what the real Law was.

When the Seat belt law came into force, I was 8 Months pregnant and could not fit the belt over my bump, I telephoned the local police station (uk) for advise and they didnt know either, they just told me to put it over my arm to make it look like i was wearing one. Wierd. I still dont know to this day, what the Law is regarding heavily pregnant ladies wearing seat belts.

No, that's why I wrote that I'm not sure that a Muslim headscarf would be thick enough to prevent you wearing a helmet. You'd probably just need a bigger helmet. A turban is a different matter, helmets would have to be specially made to cover one.

Hmmmm....I wonder if there's a market for helmets that look like/serve as turbans instead of making helmets to fit turbans.

Edited by Beacher

Driven all over the world, left-hand drive and right-hand drive, the 'outside' lane or 'fast' or 'overtaking' lane has ALWAYS been the one FURTHEST from THE DRIVERS nearest kerb or hard shoulder or ditch. On a standard 2-way road, that is also the lane that oncoming or contraflow traffic is on, ie. coming at you. If you factor in the divided highway mentality, then the 'outside' lane will always be the one NEAREST to the dividing median but it's STILL the 'outside' or 'fast' or 'overtaking' lane.

Now Americans buggered that global dynamic with their invention, the 'freeway' where the 'free' part means you can legally pass on EITHER side of anything moving slower than you. That's where someone passing you on the inside or outside can become a debatable point.

And has been pointed out correctly earlier, the 'hard-shoulder in Thailand is also where contraflow traffic ALWAYS exists... ON BOTH SIDES, IN BOTH DIRECTIONS, USUALLY AT THE SAME TIME AND INVARIABLY AT NIGHT WITH NO TAIL LIGHTS.

Now that we have that sorted out, what do you think about all these ugly rumours about Pattaya's finest being on the take?

Now Americans buggered that global dynamic with their invention, the 'freeway' where the 'free' part means you can legally pass on EITHER side of anything moving slower than you. That's where someone passing you on the inside or outside can become a debatable point.

The "free" in freeway has nothing to do with freedom to pass. They call it a freeway because it is a highway with no intersection so traffic is free to flow.

honestly I would have pissed myself laughing and paid the 400 baht, and got on with life. up to you if you want to make it all personal. See the funny side and he probably would let you off next time he stops you for actually doing something wrong. hel_l remember you are the laughing farang. Or, get angry and put it on youtube and tell all the papers about something everyone knows about- police corruption- and if it makes you feel better thatll only last as long as until the next time something like this happens to you. So about 2 days or so. With such an obvious setup, and for 400 baht, theres no option but to laugh. Lighten up. Cmon. Never mind. Youll change nothing and next time he runs into you it will be the same or worse due to how you handled yourself.

Am I the only one who finds this really really funny? That cop is a genius!

I imagine 95% of the farangs he stops get angry. Make yourself different. Appeal to his humanity. Be the one who finds it funny or maybe even congratulate him on a great idea (if your thai is sensitive enough to do this without causing offence). Think long term. Get him on side. Play the game. Dont rebel, dont be western and dont let it bother you for more than a minute. Then, you win.

Maybe you talk differently if you are just walking down Walking Street and some TG starts shouting at you that you just raped her. You will be detained for a few days and only THB 200,000 - THB 400,000 bail will set you free.

Loads of witnesses but they're all laughing with the situation.

Yes, THB 400,000 isn't THB 400, but the fact is similar.

The "free" in freeway has nothing to do with freedom to pass. They call it a freeway because it is a highway with no intersection so traffic is free to flow.

Thank buddha for wikipedia.

Freeways mean free to pass on either side? :) Hilarious.

Yup, lived in Texas for 10 years and that was what a Texas DPS Trooper told told me. I guess they are full of sh!t too.

Maybe you talk differently if you are just walking down Walking Street and some TG starts shouting at you that you just raped her. You will be detained for a few days and only THB 200,000 - THB 400,000 bail will set you free.

Loads of witnesses but they're all laughing with the situation.

Yes, THB 400,000 isn't THB 400, but the fact is similar.

Erm, no thats a completely different situation, as was Loongs card playing example.