"economic Crisis", But Can't Seem To Find Anyone Who Wants A Job

For a month we put ads up on lamp posts, bus stops, posted on about 10 different Thai jobs websites. During that time we only had 1 guy apply for the job (and he was referred through a friend)

We hired that guy a last week, and this week...no show...

The job is not manual labor, just involves managing orders, finding information online, taking some photos of products etc... (mostly computer base stuff), yet apparently this guy didn't like it.

And pays 10K-15K a month.

What's the deal, to me it seems like a pretty good job. But we can't seem to find anyone....

Anyone have any ideas about how to find Thai employees?

I think the next stop will be the employment department, but i'm not very hopefully, last time we tried using them we got about 30 out of 40 wrong phone numbers.

(Note i didn't bother posting the actual job on Thaivisa, seeing as we are looking for a Thai person, and last time i posted a job offering on TV it got no interest).

For a month we put ads up on lamp posts, bus stops, posted on about 10 different Thai jobs websites. During that time we only had 1 guy apply for the job (and he was referred through a friend)

The job is not manual labor, just involves managing orders, finding information online, taking some photos of products etc... (mostly computer base stuff), yet apparently this guy didn't like it.

What's the deal, to me it seems like a pretty good job. But we can't seem to find anyone....

I think the next stop will be the employment department, but i'm not very hopefully, last time we tried using them we got about 30 out of 40 wrong phone numbers.

(Note i didn't bother posting the actual job on Thaivisa, seeing as we are looking for a Thai person, and last time i posted a job offering on TV it got no interest).

You didn't mention where the job is. Might location be an issue? In the boonies?

You might try raising the salary...

I may be going out on a limb here , but I would venture a guess that if after a month there was only one application for the job and that person left only after one week, it seems that the labour force doesn't think the salary is commensurate with the work required.

I have lived and worked here for many decades as an expat and in the past 20 years, as opposed to earlier years, I also have found it very difficult to find employees no matter how much is offered. I suggest several reasons: Thais generally do not like to work in small offices where there are few if any other Thais no matter what the remuneration and benefits--it is not fun; vending along all the roads and sidewalks in Bangkok appears to be the default mode of earning since the hours are flexible and there is no boss to bother with; ala viva Americano Thai people have developed a highly refined appreciation of entitlement which includes having people from other countries perform the lion's share of labor--especially of the manual variety. No more Thai maids, field hands, fishermen, etc.; it is expected that the government will take care of everyone now so regular employment is far from attractive.

You might try raising the salary...

I may be going out on a limb here , but I would venture a guess that if after a month there was only one application for the job and that person left only after one week, it seems that the labour force doesn't think the salary is commensurate with the work required.

I'm not sure this would help us to gain the right kind of employee.

My Western mindset would be similar to yourself: Offer more money and you'll get a better, more loyal, harder working employee....

Thai mentality: If you offer too much money, employees will assume that you have money to burn; they will be lazy and continue to seek more money (seeing as you have so much to give away).

(This is according to my wife and family/friends)

When telling friends/family about the current job we are looking for (10-15K) the first response always seems to be "way are you paying so much"....

I have lived and worked here for many decades as an expat and in the past 20 years, as opposed to earlier years, I also have found it very difficult to find employees no matter how much is offered. I suggest several reasons: Thais generally do not like to work in small offices where there are few if any other Thais no matter what the remuneration and benefits--it is not fun; vending along all the roads and sidewalks in Bangkok appears to be the default mode of earning since the hours are flexible and there is no boss to bother with; ala viva Americano Thai people have developed a highly refined appreciation of entitlement which includes having people from other countries perform the lion's share of labor--especially of the manual variety. No more Thai maids, field hands, fishermen, etc.; it is expected that the government will take care of everyone now so regular employment is far from attractive.

I think you are on to something. We are just a small business, with only 1 other employee (so just my wife and the 1 other employee currently work there, i don't). It seems a lot of Thais only want to work for a "big company". Maybe greater chance of advancement, or more prestige, i'm not sure.

:)hi here is a real story that might relate to your problem of no job seekers: i am married to a thai

lady,who has a sister with 2 sons 26 and 27. the younger son has a liscense as a tour guide, one day

he was complaining about no work. i went online and found a tour company on silom road.i called them and told them about my wifes sisters son who was a tour guide.asked if they were hiring,and they said yes,tell him to come by and bring his li

cense. i then took all the info (who to see,where to go,etc.when i told the son;his reply was no thanks!!

the other son got a job with ppet ,but is unhappy that he has to start at the bottom,and cannot start out as manager/boss making big money.

BKK isnt cheap to live,there have been a few other threads mentioning salaries.....believe it or not, most Thais that speak English are computer literate etc expect a salary of around 35k......the cleaning lady in our office earns 14k a month and gets free food and that is for a 5 day week...7am-4pm with 1 hour lunch......

BKK isnt cheap to live,there have been a few other threads mentioning salaries.....believe it or not, most Thais that speak English are computer literate etc expect a salary of around 35k......the cleaning lady in our office earns 14k a month and gets free food and that is for a 5 day week...7am-4pm with 1 hour lunch......

your right ,my brother in law speaks fluent english and has worked in America,a friend of mine ofered him a job in an office starting at15k plus commision ,he wouldnt even look at it ,prefers to sit at home and scrounge off his mum.(the days of scrounging of us and his other sisters have long gone :)

You are seriously going to be hard pressed to find a English speaking computer literate for that. My nephew is recent upcountry tech school graduate in computers, speaks virtually no English other then computer words. He is making 15k a month in Rayong right now.

There is a lot of misconception on the current job market and pay scales in Thailand, usually by people that have no experience or are limited knowing about unskilled labor like maids.

TH

You are seriously going to be hard pressed to find a English speaking computer literate for that. My nephew is recent upcountry tech school graduate in computers, speaks virtually no English other then computer words. He is making 15k a month in Rayong right now.

There is a lot of misconception on the current job market and pay scales in Thailand, usually by people that have no experience or are limited knowing about unskilled labor like maids.

TH

Just to clarify the employee doesn't need to speak English. Only Thai people work there (i don't work there).

And employee doesn't need a degree in computers, just be able to use one (ie use the internet, MS word etc..)

Edited by dave111223

TH

Just to clarify the employee doesn't need to speak English. Only Thai people work there (i don't work there).

And employee doesn't need a degree in computers, just be able to use one (ie use the internet, MS word etc..)

Do you have any accomodation for them?

Main problems you have are that if person is already living in BKK then they usually want higher salary etc.

However many people (even university grad)from other parts of Thailand would be very happy with your offer but would be reluctant to come unless some type of accomodation was provided.

We have quite a few Thai people working for us who are mainly from Northern or Central Thailand, very cheap but I have to provide them with housing. Housing does not have to be very good but safe.

Another option is someone from Lao or Burma but depends on how good your BIB connections are.

If you need help - just PM me.

Cheers

its a ok salary(little bit low for english + computer) but sounds like the job is working alone. Thai's need others to work with. Simply too boring to work alone. I have 7 small businesses and almost all my problems with staffing are at my small, single staff stores.

The key word here is, "lazy." We had a guy who we hired as a manager and everything he was suppose to do he said was below his job title and position. A lot of people out of jobs, no money around and no one wants to work. They just want to sponge off of someone else. Particularly the Thai man that can't get a job but the girlfriend can and supports him. Many times as a prostitute.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed with the oother posts, unless it is close to home for them, they will always reconsider the salary , benefits and job - and if no one else is there with them, no social contact - very limiting on their social circle which goes together with their work....

Coming from the hotel & resort industry - finding someone who will take on this role - alone will be challenging... They need social contact + a little bit more...

Best of luck on your search...

Side note: if you are only looking for one employee - PM me anyway , might have a candidate for you - a great guy I used to work with , in BKK but had to leave our company for personal reasons already sorted - but the CEO would not recognize the importance of his problem...