Reasons Why Los Tourism Is Way Down

cognos

..after reading the Thai visa news re : "Tourism way down..".. I copied some of the reasons from only the first 4 pages( for times sake..and the reasons were getting few and farther between)..Add MORE REASONS as needed. should you feel the need. NOTE: I have no gripe, as I am married to a wonderful Thai lady from a great family, I have a good job, she has land.. my bpen rai..personally I like less tourists in LOS..however..voila..thanks to those who wrote most of these points :)

1. Suvarnabhumi closure

2.Political unrest

3.Insidious corruption

4.Police scams on tourist..plead guilty or go to jail..extortion

5.Farang treated as 2nd class citizens

6.Losing face

7.Visa/ immigration "hoop jumping" (tell me about it) :D

8.Red and yellow shirts/ riots in BKK

9.No foreign ownership of land

10.(only)15 day visa runs

11.Double pricing

12.Draconian laws against marijuana

13.Thai airways

14.Crackdowns

15.Bureaucracy

16.Bogus exchange rates

17.Pollution, garbage everywhere

18.Violent crime with handguns ( way worse than U.S., which is terrible)

19.Thai xenophobia

20.Yee sip..random police checks of tourists

21.120 Baht beer in bars

22.High ATM fees

23.Poor Tourism Marketing from TAT

24.Rising airline prices to fly to LOS from farang land

25.Golfing green fees high

26.Business hassles/red tape

27.BRUTAL JAILS

28.The NO Tourist Police

29.Draconian Immigration Laws

30.No accountability for mistakes

31.DRUNK SEX PATS

32. Bogus discounts

33.Pattaya

34. Sexual Tourist Playground (PATTAYA)

35.Closing Asian Summit in Pattaya

36. The SOUTH

37.SIX French Fries on a plate

38. Thaksin

I'll stop there, as 38 is a lucky number pour moi (wife's age) oh crap.. one more..she'll be 39 next year..

39.The negative Media image of Thailand in FARANGLAND ie: in your face sex industry ( although Japan's is much higher by capita but well hidden) :D Take care eh

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41. because the global economy is fcuked and a holiday isnt the most importnat thing, tourisms down globally hence why airlines are suffering so much.

I cant understand why you put sex tourism and Pattaya together, sex tourism is rife in every tourist location of LOS, most notably Phuket where i see your from.

Edited by sanmiguellight

I don't see how many of those points would affect or concern tourists, like;

3.Insidious corruption

6.Losing face

7.Visa/ immigration "hoop jumping" (you mean the 30 days on arrival?)

9.No foreign ownership of land (why do tourists want to own land?)

10.(only)15 day visa runs

11.Double pricing (most tourists wouldn't know about it)

13.Thai airways (fly another airline)

15.Bureaucracy

16.Bogus exchange rates (where?)

23.Poor Tourism Marketing from TAT

25.Golfing green fees high (cheaper than most places)

26.Business hassles/red tape (They're here as tourists, not on business)

27.BRUTAL JAILS (how many toursists go to jail?)

28.The NO Tourist Police (like every other country you mean?)

29.Draconian Immigration Laws (30 days on entry for free????)

30.No accountability for mistakes

33.Pattaya (why most tourists come!!)

34. Sexual Tourist Playground (PATTAYA) (see 33)

35.Closing Asian Summit in Pattaya (who cares?)

36. The SOUTH (don't go there)

37.SIX French Fries on a plate (I come to Thailand to eat Thai food, if I want French food I'll go to Paris)

38. Thaksin (He's not in Thailand)

It sounds more like a list of why YOU don't like Thailand.

Edited by PattayaParent

41. because the global economy is fcuked and a holiday isnt the most importnat thing, tourisms down globally hence why airlines are suffering so much.

I cant understand why you put sex tourism and Pattaya together, sex tourism is rife in every tourist location of LOS, most notably Phuket where i see your from.

That should have been number one on the list. They keep having group meetings around here to see how they can attract tourists. They ask me what the Farangs look for etc. Also talk about the yellow/red shirt fiasco. I point out people in the west have bigger things to worry about than holidays. No jobs, means finding money to pay the bills etc

Yes, you are right :) PHUKET and BANGLA ROAD are also on the radar..when single I went to Pattaya a few times..now married..wife and I in Phuket..don't fool around..so, forgot to mention Phuket in the same breath as Pattaya..kote tote..tam sabaii khrap..

7.Visa/ immigration "hoop jumping" (tell me about it) :)

how can you treated like a 2nd class citizen....You are not even a citizen... :D

If you have a good job (asumming you are working in Thailand) how are you "hoop jumping" ??....its a very minor irritation once a year for half a day, and a quick 5 minute visit every 3 months...

The list provided is geared at "residents" and not real tourists....

how can you treated like a 2nd class citizen....You are not even a citizen... :D

Hence the word LIKE.

Let me guess...another "English Teacher"..... :)

Its called sarcasm old chap..... :D

Edited by Soutpeel

Hence the word LIKE.

No English teacher here just turned a job down in Los making 4/5 times what they earn.

But youre dead witty, sarcy boy. :D

The is the only one. (1 to infinity on my list ) Selfish bankers and toothless ministers f_ucking the World economy!

Everything else on your list is just your weird perception and number 1 to infinity is the reality.

Does Mr and Mrs European/US/Asia really care about

3.Insidious corruption

6.Losing face

7.Visa/ immigration "hoop jumping" (you mean the 30 days on arrival?)

9.No foreign ownership of land

:) think you've got your wires crossed old chappy.

It should read as this is the list that may stop me from living here not what is stopping tourists.

7.Visa/ immigration "hoop jumping" (tell me about it) :)

If you have a good job (asumming you are working in Thailand) how are you "hoop jumping" ??....its a very minor irritation once a year for half a day, and a quick 5 minute visit every 3 months...

The list provided is geared at "residents" and not real tourists....

Hi..Sawadee khrap..remember..I copied this list off the Main NEWS Post about TOURISM being down..they are not MY grievances or complaints..I have no complaints..just compiled a list from the BIG news story about LOS tourism being way down..however you are right..some of the list is more for residents as opposed to tourists. Nevertheless (mybpen rai khrap) ,I agree I am not a citizen..but my wife becomes a Canadian citizen quickly (as you would) , my bpen rai..I am not complaining about double standards..but I appreciate your feedback..chok dee mak khrap

The is the only one. (1 to infinity on my list ) Selfish bankers and toothless ministers f_ucking the World economy!

Everything else on your list is just your weird perception and number 1 to infinity is the reality.

Ive relatives who wont bring their kids (two 12 yo daughters) to Thailand because of the sex industry, so there are a few more reasons why tourists dont come here, but on the whole it does all come down to $$$$$$$$$$ at the end of the day.

Edited by sanmiguellight

After REAL short deliberation..you are correct..my fault.. and if you want add to the reasons why tourists are staying away (or don't..)..feel free

Tourists are never staying.. they come and go. It has been like that for ages.....

Sometimes I think some non-tourists should go too.. :)

Hence the word LIKE.

No English teacher here just turned a job down in Los making 4/5 times what they earn.

But youre dead witty, sarcy boy. :D

For THB 120,000 - 150,000/m I would turning the job down as well..... :D ...chicken feed

This list is not accurate..some of the initial list of 39 is not really relevant to why tourism is down, rather some are reasons why ex pat farang may be unsatisfied with LOS..myself i still LOVE LOS..but sorry for the mistake :)

.I copied this list off the Main NEWS Post about TOURISM being down..they are not MY grievances or complaints

Next time take tourist grievances expressed on Thaivisa by whining farangs with a big grain of salt.

The logic goes like this - they screwed my little paradise, but I'm not alone - I speak for the millions of tourists.

Millions of toursts don't give a shit about one year visa renewal in Penang or Cambodian visa runs.

99% of the tourisim problems are self inflicted as we can see.

Why the TAT would ask for help leaves me to believe somebody wants a new BMW

I don’t think Thais understand Farangs yet. Thai would pay high prices just to get a prize. I guess because the money does not have value when they have it.

But Franag, care only if the prices are low and right for them to spend

This list is not accurate..some of the initial list of 39 is not really relevant to why tourism is down, rather some are reasons why ex pat farang may be unsatisfied with LOS..myself i still LOVE LOS..but sorry for the mistake :D

OK lets start again...Why is tourism down

1. Ecomomic slump worldwide - people just dont have the money to go on holiday

2. Perceived and real political problems in Thailand, sensationlised in international media

3. Protests and demostrations ie Airport closures/ASEAN summit in Pattaya sensationalised in the world media

4. Ineffective marketing by Thailand on the international stage - ie just look at the adds on CNN/BBC for Malaysia and Cambodia - Thailand seems to sit on its laruels on this one...its Thailand, the tourists will come is its perception.. :)

5. Violence/crime possibly on the rise...again in the international media

6. Thailand is not a cheap as its was

I don't think Thais understand Farangs yet. Thai would pay high prices just to get a prize. I guess because the money does not have value when they have it.

What's a Franag?????????? :)

I don't think Thais understand Farangs yet. Thai would pay high prices just to get a prize. I guess because the money does not have value when they have it.

What's a Franag?????????? :D

A nagging wife called Fran ??... :)

Assume you mean "Farang".....It a term of endearment used by Thai's when referring to Aliens.... :D

In some quaters (includes me) it is thought that the term "Farang" is used by Thai's as a derogatory descrition applied to all persons not Thai....Extensions of this term include such gems as "kee nok farang"....which is used to decribe a Farang who will not treated like a walking ATM by Thai nationals... :D

Edited by Soutpeel

Cognos

Like your friend livinginexile, whom you defended against one of my riposte to a thread very similar to this one, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet this week! :)

Stirring the pot is one phrase that leaps to mind. Why take the time and trouble to summarize another thread and start another topic the regurgitates same?

You are happily ensconsed in Lotus Land with plenty of access to herb. :D You have obtained your 3rd world bride, after exploring the nightlife in Pattaya. :D Now, like many reformed sinners, you return to the scene of your former depraved actions to enlighten the poor lost souls still living here. We should repent at the earliest opportunity!

Spare us more of your navel-gazing please! At least for a week or two.

Tourists come and tourists go. Make of that as you will. Mai pben rai.

Ive relatives who wont bring their kids (two 12 yo daughters) to Thailand because of the sex industry, so there are a few more reasons why tourists dont come here, but on the whole it does all come down to $$$$$$$$$$ at the end of the day.

Yeah its a real shame Thailand misses out on some family holidays because of the sex industry.

The area these bars are situated is very small in comparison to the size of Thailand.

If you don't want to see it you don't have to and to be honest there is nothing that families can see that is embarrassing in fact the girls are normally pleasant around families.

Its the drunk Westerners swearing etc who are more of a menace to families.

Yes well, we can argue to the cows come home as to why tourism is down, and for sure there is not one single reason .

But we all get the general idea. A combination of the world recession, higher prices in Thailand, and a lot of unsavoury publicity over the past year or two - both political, and allegedly bad things happening to tourists. (murders, rapes, farangs jailed for minor offences etc).

When I first came here in the early 70's, you'd be amazed at the number of people back home in the UK had never heard of Thailand, and certainly didn't know where it was. Then if you mentioned Siam, a smile of recognition would spread across their faces, thanks to "The King and I". In those days, tourism in Thailand was in its infancy, especially from Europe, and in any event, the Americans were still bombing the hel_l out of Cambodia from their air bases in Thailand.

Then the tourist explosion started, and for the next 2 decades, Thailand was the destination that almost every Brit wanted to go to. I'm not talking about sex tourists, I talking couples and families and many elderly tourists. I lived in the UK with my Thai wife for many years, and it was a surprising how many people I met had either been to Thailand and loved it, or were planning to go. They all had the more or less the same comments: "The Thais are such lovely people; we had a really wonderful time there"

Well the wheel has turned. Thailand is not quite the same magical land in the eyes of Europeans that it once was. There has been a lot of adverse publicity, the prices are much higher (especially in terms of exchange rates), and there has been a lot of competition from rival destinations such as the Seychelles, Malaysia, Caribbean etc.

But in spite of all this, the tourists still keep coming and will continue to do so. Some may not repeat their holidays here due to bad experiences, but there are plenty more to take their place. Thailand has enough going for it to maintain a large tourist industry for many years to come, and I am sure it will weather the current storm.

More to the point is what are the powers that be doing about it? One of their first moves was to offer free visas for a while. What a pointless and stupid thing to do! I wonder what genius thought that one up. Do they really think that having a free visa is going to persuade someone to come to Thailand? From what I observed, those receiving free visas, were surprised and puzzled as to why it was being offered, and they certainly didn't expect it.

Now the government has earmarked billions to pump into the tourist industry. I wonder what they are going to do with it. Does it really require billions? It would seem that they are going to prop up many tourist sectors that are having hard time – like giving them money to stay afloat. Is this going to help expand then industry and get more visitors over here? I doubt it. It seems to be just an attempt to placate angry and unemployed Thais who work inn this sector.

The key to tourism is the overseas travel agencies, and the package holiday companies. If Thai holidays are not in their brochures, then the tourists will go elsewhere. Any attempt to boost tourism must center on heavy promotion to overseas agencies and package holiday companies, in conjunction with the major hotels who can come up with special offers, and make presentations on the delights of a Thai holiday. If this is done properly, it will take money – but billions? I think not.

Has anyone in the government really thought this through properly – or is it just another, endless list of corruption exercises to fill the pockets of politician's and their cohorts.

Edited by Mobi

One of their first moves was to offer free visas for a while. What a pointless and stupid thing to do! I wonder what genius thought that one up. Do they really think that having a free visa is going to persuade someone to come to Thailand? From what I observed, those receiving free visas, were surprised and puzzled as to why it was being offered, and they certainly didn't expect it.

Often wondered about that one, considering the vast majority of "better class" tourists they were trying to attract would be from countries on the Visa-wavier list, ie getting 30 days for free anyway...so on the face of it, it appeared a "generous" move on the part of the goverment, but in reality it was something which lacked any real substance, a PR stunt no more no less....bit like the Thai-Elite program, seemed to offer very definite benefits for a price but in reality no substance, in the end a very expensive exercise, and we all know how the Thai-Elite program ended up.. :)

This list is not accurate..some of the initial list of 39 is not really relevant to why tourism is down, rather some are reasons why ex pat farang may be unsatisfied with LOS..myself i still LOVE LOS..but sorry for the mistake :D

OK lets start again...Why is tourism down

1. Ecomomic slump worldwide - people just dont have the money to go on holiday

2. Perceived and real political problems in Thailand, sensationlised in international media

3. Protests and demostrations ie Airport closures/ASEAN summit in Pattaya sensationalised in the world media

4. Ineffective marketing by Thailand on the international stage - ie just look at the adds on CNN/BBC for Malaysia and Cambodia - Thailand seems to sit on its laruels on this one...its Thailand, the tourists will come is its perception.. :)

5. Violence/crime possibly on the rise...again in the international media

6. Thailand is not a cheap as its was

100% correct, where the OP's list sounds like a big whinge.