Airport Link Pointless?

JohnGotti

i have never seen a traffic jam on the road that the link follows towards rama iv road. however, once you arrive at the airport link destinations, you will then face massive traffic and still have to deal with again, lugging around your luggage a second time. there is no room on the bts lines most time of the day for tourists to be getting on with their 8 bags of luggage, although its obvious that is what we will be seeing. the link design attempts to mimic hong kong's with no regard for the layout of bangkok.

Edited by JohnGotti

Add to that the escalators can be used to get your bags on to the BTS station - but not off (from the ones I've used).

The up'salator isn't always on & the down'scalator is non-existant.

Add to that the escalators can be used to get your bags on to the BTS station - but not off (from the ones I've used).

The up'salator isn't always on & the down'scalator is non-existant.

Just chuck'm down to the street. Preferably landing on one of the awnings of the million and 1 vendors who make the sidewalk a futility. :)

as an airport link, it will probably be a waste of time, except for the people who work there.

Fortunately there will be a bog standard metropolitan service on the line, which will be another welcome addition to BKK's public transport network. With the service linking to both the MRT and BTS, alot of people who live along the route will be able to easily commute into BKK. That will be a huge success over time.

If they gave you the ability to check your bags in at the station like they do in Hong Kong then it might not be so bad, I prefer a taxi door to door though. If you are going to hump your kit to a taxi then hump it to the station you might as well stay in the taxi all the way to the airport.

Baggage check in at the Mahksan Station will available, though it may not be ready in time for the schedule 5 Dec 09 opening.

I agree that as a commuter line, supplementing the Rama IX expressway, it will be useful for some people, but I think that with the two existing multi lane expressways going to the airport, this is a unnecessary as a way to get the airport. I think that people will try it once for the novelty and then revert to the taxis that are available just outside at the same level. At supposedly 150 baht fare, the price is not even going to be much cheaper then a taxi, and when you factor in getting to the station and then getting a taxi anyway from there, people just aren’t going to bother.

TH

Edited by thaihome

Baggage check in at the Mahksan Station will available, though it may not be ready in time for the schedule 5 Dec 09 opening.

I agree that as a commuter line, supplementing the Rama IX expressway, it will be useful for some people, but I think that with the two existing multi lane expressways going to the airport, this is a unnecessary as a way to get the airport. I think that people will try it once for the novelty and then revert to the taxis that are available just outside at the same level. At supposedly 150 baht fare, the price is not even going to be much cheaper then a taxi, and when you factor in getting to the station and then getting a taxi anyway from there, people just aren’t going to bother.

TH

If basic economics holds true is that the alternative of the train might mean that market forces will eventually prevent taxi's trying 'non-meter' fares into town. ie. 150 baht vs 500 or 600baht by some taxi's who try it on (I'm not talking about the limo's here, who offer what could be losely described as a premium product).

Now, basic economics assumes full information, so punters are going to have to be aware of the train price, otherwise they may not know any better and accept the rip off fare.

Then again, we'll just probably end up with 'broken meters' at the Makasaan terminal as well, as often happens in front of every tourist area.

Edited by samran

If the Airport was further out, i.e. about an hour, like KL or HK then the rail link would be more useful. But like Singapore, it's just not far enough to justify the hopping around with luggage. It's far easier to take a taxi door-door for the +/-30 minute trip. The rail link seems to offer no time or cost savings when compared to a normal taxi.

It's also a lot easier in a taxi to take the expressway and circumnavigate any congestion hot-spots. Also, the area of the terminal station near Asoke is already a congestion hot-spot itself.

The link could be beneficial at times of extreme congestion such as Friday evenings, but that is the only time I could see it being of any use and only if you were willing to lug your baggage around on the BTS and subway.

If the Airport was further out, i.e. about an hour, like KL or HK then the rail link would be more useful. But like Singapore, it's just not far enough to justify the hopping around with luggage. It's far easier to take a taxi door-door for the +/-30 minute trip. The rail link seems to offer no time or cost savings when compared to a normal taxi.

It's also a lot easier in a taxi to take the expressway and circumnavigate any congestion hot-spots. Also, the area of the terminal station near Asoke is already a congestion hot-spot itself.

The link could be beneficial at times of extreme congestion such as Friday evenings, but that is the only time I could see it being of any use and only if you were willing to lug your baggage around on the BTS and subway.

Quite right! :D

Hope they had used that budget to run trains between the terminals and the main building instead. :)

It is more for locals to commute, as a result of opening the airport the whole area has been built up and has loads of people working around the airport. So those have now access to Bangkok and it's public rail transport.

The expressway is roughly following Rama IX and yes there is traffic in rush hour. I'm lucky to mostly arrive in the evening and depart early morning so always going against traffic.

I Noticed the other day that Makkasan terminal seems to have ramp build to allow taxis to drop people off in 2nd or 3rd floor (one floor below the tracks). This is propably for the airlines check-in area so that it is no different to arrive the station and check in than it is in swampy.

I'm not gonna use it unless i arrive at a time i know there is traffic and i do not have any luggage other than overnight bag. But then again if i would live in say Don Muang or Nonthaburi etc using it might make sense as it cuts the driving distance in half.

as an airport link, it will probably be a waste of time, except for the people who work there.

Fortunately there will be a bog standard metropolitan service on the line, which will be another welcome addition to BKK's public transport network. With the service linking to both the MRT and BTS, alot of people who live along the route will be able to easily commute into BKK. That will be a huge success over time.

It isn't linked with either the BTS or the MRT except by footbridges and walkways and only at the terminal station in the city.

The three train systems are all incompatible with each other.

It isn't linked with either the BTS or the MRT except by footbridges and walkways and only at the terminal station in the city.

Mind-blowing planning there!

As for cost, I can catch a taxi to the airport for 160 Baht and back for 160+50 Baht so at 150 Baht to take me 5 km from my home (nearest rail link station) and then another taxi, I won't be catching it.

Remember the real purpose of the rail link was to provide an opportunity for corruption. This has been well achieved. Everyone got paid from the airport.

geez you are a bundle of fun aren't you? (I have my very own TV stalker). I mean, how are you supposed to change trains, apart from walking? Or should scotty beam everyone up?

Some photo's.

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/print.php?id=9190

catching a tube from heathrow requires changing trains. Even from Singapore airport, train link only goes two stations before you cross the platform. Honkers, get out and walk and transfer to their undergound.

Edited by samran

Wounder what time the last train will be??... My flight always get's in after midnight..... I'm sure I'm not the only one..... even if it does run all night the BTS does not....

but I will use it to go to swampy, as the guesthouse I stay in when I'm in Bangkok is fairly close to Thonglor station.... and I hate the morning trafic.

I don't know how many of you have regularly experienced the traffic at the Asoke-Petchaburi intersection, but that area (particularly Asoke) already has some of the worst traffic in BKK. On several occasions, it has taken me an hour just to get from the Rama IX (Fortune) intersection to the Petchaburi Rd. intersection - a distance of perhaps 1 km. There is no way I would consider adding that time and uncertainty on to my schedule to get to the airport, no matter how convenient the train is. From where I live, I can drive to the airport in about 25 minutes, as could most central BKK residents. If you have baggage and taking BTS/MRT connections and the walk to the Express Link station, why would anyone want to spend the time and endure the traffic to get to the station when you can drive or take a taxi directly to the airport - particularly since a taxi costs only marginally more for a single passenger and it's cheaper for two passengers when compared to the 150 baht Airport Link fare. The only exception might possibly be late at night when traffic is light in Asoke/Petchaburi.

For me it's mostly because I wouldn't want to leave my car at the airport... any airport really, much less Don Muang or Suvi. If my driver weren't available (say, I have a flight for a day trip to Singapore or HK at the same time Heng Jr. is going to or getting picked up from school), I'd much rather get dropped off at the Ladprao MRT station than drive my own car to the airport. No baggage or at the very least just a light carry on or just my mini laptop bag like many biz travellers.

Pointless or not depends on your point of view. Of course it's not going to be convenient if you're one of those 1 vacation a year types that has to lug 2 large Samsonites PER family member and have a family of 4. For that, you'll need two taxis or perhaps should buy a pickup truck already.

:)

those first stations before makkasan, is the intention to make those interchange stations in the future?

and this might be a dumb question, but how does bangkok have an underground MRT system when the city is supposedly sinking and below water level?

Edited by JohnGotti

i have never seen a traffic jam on the road that the link follows towards rama iv road. however, once you arrive at the airport link destinations, you will then face massive traffic and still have to deal with again, lugging around your luggage a second time. there is no room on the bts lines most time of the day for tourists to be getting on with their 8 bags of luggage, although its obvious that is what we will be seeing. the link design attempts to mimic hong kong's with no regard for the layout of bangkok.

Eight bags per person? I'd say two or three at the most. But still, I agree with your point. I'll be taking the taxi (both ways) just like usual. The taxi delivers me door to door and it's cheap. I never pay the 50 baht extra to come back, either.