Bank Card Sometimes Not Accepted At Atm

I am sorry if this has been covered but my internet link has issues with Thaivisa and as a consequence it takes an age to search anything at all.

Over the past couple of weeks I have had problems each time I've tried to withdraw money with my Barclays and Nationwide visa cards. After trying different machines I always find one that accepts the Barclays card but over the past week they have all knocked back the Nationwide. This is my preferred card as it is cheaper to use. I called nationwide but they assured me there are no locks or issues with the card.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with their Natinwide Flex account card? I really don't want to go through the hassle of having a new one sent out.

Thanks, and sorry I am repeating an old topic.

I am sorry if this has been covered but my internet link has issues with Thaivisa and as a consequence it takes an age to search anything at all.

Over the past couple of weeks I have had problems each time I've tried to withdraw money with my Barclays and Nationwide visa cards. After trying different machines I always find one that accepts the Barclays card but over the past week they have all knocked back the Nationwide. This is my preferred card as it is cheaper to use. I called nationwide but they assured me there are no locks or issues with the card.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with their Natinwide Flex account card? I really don't want to go through the hassle of having a new one sent out.

the same has happened to me in the past ,usually its a fault with the thai computer system it always sorts its self out in the end but if it goes on too long i am not sure

the same has happened to me in the past ,usually its a fault with the thai computer system it always sorts its self out in the end but if it goes on too long i am not sure

This has happened to me and when I queried with NW they said that security had flagged up the account, had checked it and it was clear to use again, (tried and succesful) it could be that securty occasionally checks accounts used over here and while the check is progressing the account is frozen.

On another occasion NW was carrying out maintenance during the night (UK).

If it continues I would give them a ring the number is on the back of the card.

This has happened to me and when I queried with NW they said that security had flagged up the account, had checked it and it was clear to use again, (tried and succesful) it could be that securty occasionally checks accounts used over here and while the check is progressing the account is frozen.

On another occasion NW was carrying out maintenance during the night (UK).

If it continues I would give them a ring the number is on the back of the card.

Yeah same problem with the Flex last 2 - 3 weeks . Since the Thai banks started charging for ATM withdrawals 150 baht per time regardless of the amount I attempted to withdraw larger amounts per time eg 15,000 baht which based on todays exchange rate is still within the 300 UK pounds nationwide withdrawal limit . Sorry ...card data is incomplete ....and so on ....call them and its the same story ..flagged due to security reasons , try again an hour later .....massive inconvenience ...leading to using another card at a higher charge ....so I reverse charge the phone calls each time at least . However when withdrawing 10 K baht amounts per time there is never a problem ....only when it is over that amount . ( have tried 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 k ) I also prefer to use the Flex card if i withdraw cash from the UK cos it beats the exchange rate and fee other banks give . Luckily I have Thai baht coming into a Thai account so dont have to use it too often ... It may well sort itself out ......buggered if I know .......great day for a picnic though

A few days ago my Nationwide card also failed. Doing a balance check worked fine but each time I tried to withdraw I got the message "Transaction Timed Out" No matter how quickly I tapped the buttons always got the same message.

So tried my HSBC Debit card. Same result. Balance could be seen but no withdrawal!

Next was my HSBC Credit Card, hated using this because of the surcharge on Cash Withdrawals from a creit card. This worked perfectly!!!!

On checking the cards I saw that the two that failed were both Visa cards, while the Credit card was a Mastercard. Don't know if this was the reason why.

48 hours later the Nationwide and HSBC Debit were both working again!

Chris

Had a few problems over the years with N/W Flex but usually down to individual ATMs and just whacked it in another along the road (usually Suk rd)

Made a last withdrawal at ON-Nut station a week ago with UOB and its still...FREE... :) ..(now back in Blighty)

I have been having exactly the same problems with my Nationwide Flexi Visa card over the past couple of weeks and after calling N/W and trying again the next day it worked, the guy I spoke to at N/W said the problem seems to be the visa network, yesterday would not accept the card, went back today and no problem, withdrawing 15000 baht each time from Aeon ATM who are still not charging.

Thanks for the reply's. I went to two ATMs after posting here. One failed whilst the other gave me 15000 without problem. Today I went and the problematic ATM gave me the money. So for the time being all is well. I hate using my Barclays Visa and paying the 10 quid+ charge!

My HSBC Debit (Visa) is now working fine but still cannot get the Nationwide (Visa) to work. keep getting the message to contact my branch. Contacted Nationwide and was told there is nothing wrong with the card.

Chris

Today on a mini shopping spree I needed 14,000 baht

so went to the AEON ATM in Tesco ( south Pattaya ) got 7,000 baht with my

( mostly but but not allways ) trusty Nationwide Visa Debit card.

Put the card in to get another 7,000 baht and got " please contact your bank"

errrmm ok, so then I tried the Ayudthaya ATM downstairs in Tesco...same thing.

Boll*ks thought my card has been red flaged and I'll have to phone them.

My other half was not amused and said I could borrow 7,000 from her so I could buy her a new fridge :)

When we got home I had to go to Tukcom anyway So I decided to try my card in the Ayudthaya ATM at the main entrance and...(drumroll ) it worked...and even better it didn't charge the 150 baht fee..nor did the AEON ATM.

Three friends of mine and myself all had problems with our flex account cards within 4 days of each other. In the last few months I have been denied withdrawal and have had to call them. Always the same story, flagged for security reasons in Thailand, utter nonsense. I am sick of their lousy service so I have changed tack.

I opened a moneybookers account on the internet

I upload money from my main UK bank for free

I withdraw money from my moneybookers account for a small fee into my Kasikorn bank account. No more stupid 150 Bt fee every time I take money out and no more security restrictions for a card that never leaves my possession.

Cheers Nationwide.

Three friends of mine and myself all had problems with our flex account cards within 4 days of each other. In the last few months I have been denied withdrawal and have had to call them. Always the same story, flagged for security reasons in Thailand, utter nonsense. I am sick of their lousy service so I have changed tack.

I withdraw money from my moneybookers account for a small fee into my Kasikorn bank account. No more stupid 150 Bt fee every time I take money out and no more security restrictions for a card that never leaves my possession.

Cheers Nationwide.

TR, can you talk us through the Moneybookers transaction. Exactly what charges are there and what rate do get on your Sterling ?

My HSBC Debit (Visa) is now working fine but still cannot get the Nationwide (Visa) to work. keep getting the message to contact my branch. Contacted Nationwide and was told there is nothing wrong with the card.

Chris

Which ATM were you using ?

Today on a mini shopping spree I needed 14,000 baht

so went to the AEON ATM in Tesco ( south Pattaya ) got 7,000 baht with my

( mostly but but not allways ) trusty Nationwide Visa Debit card.

Put the card in to get another 7,000 baht and got " please contact your bank"

errrmm ok, so then I tried the Ayudthaya ATM downstairs in Tesco...same thing.

Boll*ks thought my card has been red flaged and I'll have to phone them.

My other half was not amused and said I could borrow 7,000 from her so I could buy her a new fridge :)

When we got home I had to go to Tukcom anyway So I decided to try my card in the Ayudthaya ATM at the main entrance and...(drumroll ) it worked...and even better it didn't charge the 150 baht fee..nor did the AEON ATM.

ODD !

I had a similar thing happen with AEON - I tried to withdraw 15,000 Baht and got that message. I phoned Nationwide who confirmed that the card was not red-flagged. I then withdrew 7,000 and 6,000 assuming that the ATM perhaps had a 10,000 Baht limit.

Cheers Nationwide.

TR, can you talk us through the Moneybookers transaction. Exactly what charges are there and what rate do get on your Sterling ?

I'll have to get back to you on the sterling rate, but it cost me 1.54 GBP to withdraw the money into my Kasikorn account. Moneybookers fees are here FEES