Connection Options

paal349

I live in an apartment buildning with included wifi. But the thing is that their internet is very bad. Bad speed, bad connection lots of downtime. You name it, they got it. And I need to stay online sometimes, because of work. What are my alternatives?

- WIFI true: they got some hotspots I can barely pick up a signal from (live in Lat Phrao btw)

- Through the cell network: I know absolutly nothing about this.

Could someone please inform me?

The cell network (EDGE or CDMA if you go through Hutch) is a good standby if ADSL is hopeless in your area. EDGE will give you (on average) about 120 KB, you may find better or worse. Advantages are its dirt cheap (you can get about 40 hours access a month for 200 baht from DTAC) and you can use it nearly anywhere you go. Mobile coverage in Thailand is ridiculously good. Disadvantage is its not that fast.

Old post on how to set it up (maybe a bit out of date now).

The cell network (EDGE or CDMA if you go through Hutch) is a good standby if ADSL is hopeless in your area. EDGE will give you (on average) about 120 KB, you may find better or worse. Advantages are its dirt cheap (you can get about 40 hours access a month for 200 baht from DTAC) and you can use it nearly anywhere you go. Mobile coverage in Thailand is ridiculously good. Disadvantage is its not that fast.

Old post on how to set it up (maybe a bit out of date now).

You will never get 120 KB/s with Edge. (that is Bytes)

Edge quality in BKK varies very much. At good times you can get 20-25 KB/s, but when the network is busy only 5 KB. Ping times are very slow too.

Use DTAC and not AIS. DTAC is slightly faster and more reliable in average.