Is It Required To Book Hotel Accomodation In Advance?

Hi,

I am planning to visit Thailand on July 10th. This is the first time i am travelling to Thailand. Would be visiting Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and some southern Islands... How packed are the hotels in this time? Is it required to book hotel rooms in advance or Can I get a room instantly without booking. I will be roaming accross the places based on the time availability so would like to look for back packer accomodation than hotels... Are there any good backpackers available in these places? In case if I have to book the room in advance, I will have to give my credit card details. Heard abt some credit card frauds. How safe it is to disclose the credit card details for booking? You reply is appreciated as it is a good advice for me.

Thanks in advance

no need to book but;

have you been here before and how is your ability to "get discount"?

whilst just turning up is fine, you can get good deals on the web so perhaps book your first night or to on the web. try www.jollythai.com (plug)

also going along and trying to do a deal is good fun but look up the web price first to get an idea and check about tax and service charges, most web prices include 7% tax (vat) and 10% service but if your room rate at the hotel does not (as is often the case) then that is another 17%

also so in breakfast is included if you want it, what it is and until when it is served to and from, many are until 10am but some are all morning which is great.

cheers

I would book on a website like asia rooms for a few nights at least. Turning up at a hotel with luggage and tired and asking how much for a room will not get you the best rate

Agreed. Also Agoda has good rates. Book at least one night, then check out what's available the next day.

Loads of people say just walk around but after a long flight and with luggage it is not worth it, especially if you are only staying in the area a short time. Be wary of moving around too much or you'll spend your holiday travelling.

Booking engines and the like are best for low mid range and up hotels. Backpacker stuff, at sub $20 a night is going to be a walk around and though there is plenty about, most people who actually know where to go have been many times before. Not many people make a good negotiator on their first such trip.