Manual Vs Automatic Transmission

Denim

the Civic 1.8L comes with both auto and manual gear boxes

Yes, but 1.8 and 2.0 is totally different engines and 1.8 manual version has no airbags and ABS

2.0L has paddle shift

It doesn't help because auto gearbox will decrease the power anyway.

155HP with manual not equal 155HP with auto

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Civic 1.8L comes with both auto and manual gear boxes

Yes, but 1.8 and 2.0 is totally different engines and 1.8 manual version has no airbags and ABS

2.0L has paddle shift

It doesn't help because auto gearbox will decrease the power anyway.

155HP with manual not equal 155HP with auto

True

The only auto not increasing power are the DSG. Actually they can be faster than manual, cause they shift/clutch faster. I know, excellent drivers dont want to hear this, but its proven.

Look at Audi Q5, 2,0 direct injection turbo is faster with DSG than manual.

For those with negative comments about control etc. Have you actualy driven automatics for any amount of time? Maybe you aren't aware they can be "locked down" to gain engine braking?

what is this lock down? you mean when you need to brake hard you can also put the stick into park at the same time as braking to help brake quicker? sorry for my stupid question but I dont know about this one and I have been driving an auto for a year now. :)

So much debating by master debaters.

forums are for debating :) you probably dont even have a driving license yet and thats why you cant join in.

au contraire, been around awhile, I find the topic moot as all the auto manufacturers mass produce automatic transmissions, looks like manual trannys are basically standard equipment in the basic models, pickup trucks. In that aspect, manual trannys are going to be a thing of past, deja vu.

forums are for debating :) you probably dont even have a driving license yet and thats why you cant join in.

au contraire, been around awhile, I find the topic moot as all the auto manufacturers mass produce automatic transmissions, looks like manual trannys are basically standard equipment in the basic models, pickup trucks. In that aspect, manual trannys are going to be a thing of past, deja vu.

ok. you seem to know a little about cars> can you answer my question about the braking and puting an auto in park at the same time, would it help you brake better or just balls up my car?

ok. you seem to know a little about cars> can you answer my question about the braking and puting an auto in park at the same time, would it help you brake better or just balls up my car?

Definitely not the most intelligent thing to be doing, only a mechanically challenged mental midget would think of doing that.

The paddleshifts works exactly like a manual transmission.

You choose gear 1-5 manually. If you choose to high gear the accelaration is slow, if at all. If you choose to low engine over revs and the rev limiter kicks in. When you want engine to break, you gear down. When you want 4600 rpm exiting a curve, you choose the gear giving you that. Exactly like a manual, but no clutch. Its great. :)

• 1 year later...

Manual was OK in England for a long time, l use to like the column change which meant a bench seat in front, was great driving with a girlfriend.:rolleyes: when Auto came out it was much better still, even some race driver use semi autos, even on a sports motorbike you don't use the clutch if you want to accelerate quicker.

My automatic Vigo gives me the best of both worlds. As an automatic I can sit back and enjoy a relaxing smooth trip to and from Chiangrai through the mountains and arrive relaxed and happy. When I feel like it I can use the gearstick and select the gear like and have an invigorating exciting trips across the mountains. In this mode it may not change gear as quickly and exactly when I want to like the old Armstrong Sidley preselector boxes but quick enough to match a manual change.

Horses for courses.....now if only the Vigo had a few more of those.

- manual gives you the decision as to when to change gear

Why would people need that extra bother? Why not just push gas and let the car decide. Cooks don't ask you when to put salt in your dish either - you just order and they deliver.

Driving fast, i really need to decide which gear I want. Lets say I m entering a sharp curve at high speed in 3rd gear/5500rpm. Entering the curve I step off the accelerator for a brief moment to create a oversteer (slight rearwheel drift). With auto it would shift to 5 th gear. Exiting the curve I need all the accelerating power available, still in 3 rd gear/5000rpm.

Tiptronic used to do it acceptably, now its paddleshift.

Why did you go into the bend with higher revs than when you exited, you accelerate out of a bend not into it.

- manual gives you the decision as to when to change gear

Why would people need that extra bother? Why not just push gas and let the car decide. Cooks don't ask you when to put salt in your dish either - you just order and they deliver.

Driving fast, i really need to decide which gear I want. Lets say I m entering a sharp curve at high speed in 3rd gear/5500rpm. Entering the curve I step off the accelerator for a brief moment to create a oversteer (slight rearwheel drift). With auto it would shift to 5 th gear. Exiting the curve I need all the accelerating power available, still in 3 rd gear/5000rpm.

Tiptronic used to do it acceptably, now its paddleshift.

Why did you go into the bend with higher revs than when you exited, you accelerate out of a bend not into it.

driving fast you accelerate until you are about to enter the curve and reach 7000rpm, brake and engine-brake just when entering and accelerate out when there is sufficient traction. Since I m talking about a 2008 Accord 2,4 here, thats minimum 4800rpm to accelerate

on snow, ice and on dry paved roads :D

Edited by katabeachbum

Nearly all the cars you see on the roads I purchased via finance companies. The monthly repayments on a manual are pretty well the same as on an automatic.

Not really true.

What's the spread between manual and top of the line Jazz? 150k? That's a lot of money, quite a difference in both downpayment and monthly installments. Those manuals have always been considered as cheapest, entry level, first buyer vehicles.

Now we have Protons for that market segment, though, but neither Honda nor Toyota has changed their policies yet. Let's see what will be offered in upcoming Mazda2/Ford Fiesta.

Except that Proton doesn't offer any manuals in this market and the tip-tronic shift is only offered on the mid range and upper range models..

i prefer manual transmission for my car!

more pick-up, fuel efficient too.

hope u r not in bangkok. and u aint working in town.

yeah..

I'm Malaysia and im staying suburb of Kuala Lumpur.

Jammed is mild and mostly smooth traffic in my area..

Manual was OK in England for a long time, l use to like the column change which meant a bench seat in front, was great driving with a girlfriend.:rolleyes: when Auto came out it was much better still, even some race driver use semi autos, even on a sports motorbike you don't use the clutch if you want to accelerate quicker.

Reminds me of my 1959 Ford Zephyr Lowline. :) Seat 6 easy or 2 for a cuddle on route eh :unsure:.

Well it is so good to know someone who knows what l am talking about, the Zephyr Zodiac was a great motor l sat one girl on the right and one girl on the left, all these young whipper snappers don't know what they have missed out on.B)

]So much debating by master debaters.

i prefer ,,, masterbates.. :jap:

for your info ,,

you do not need a driving license in LOS.

IF STOPPED , I SMILE AND HAND OVER 200 BHT ,khop koun kap.

automatic is best ,, cos you loose valuable seconds , when changing gears.

life is a race.. :jap: LOL

Reminds me of my 1959 Ford Zephyr Lowline. :) Seat 6 easy or 2 for a cuddle on route eh :unsure:.

Well it is so good to know someone who knows what l am talking about, the Zephyr Zodiac was a great motor l sat one girl on the right and one girl on the left, all these young whipper snappers don't know what they have missed out on.B)

Yep, today it's sit in your car in a seat you can't move in ,surrounded by as many gismo's and flashing lights as possible showing how he can slide the thing round corners to impress the lady, of course she's bored out of her head thinking what a tosser, in our Zephyr or Zodiac we had a different kind of fun which usually kept our lady happy eh. :lol:

With bench seats and right hand drive we learned to take left hand corners very very sharply.....the polish on the bench seats helped too.

Now we are talking!, I learnt to drive in a Ford Consul 375, big bench seat in the front plus a column change gear lever, 3 forward gears, one rear. - like a H on its side!

Also our family had a Vauxhall Victor estate which had a front bench seat, loved driving that motor!

Now we are talking!, I learnt to drive in a Ford Consul 375, big bench seat in the front plus a column change gear lever, 3 forward gears, one rear. - like a H on its side!

Also our family had a Vauxhall Victor estate which had a front bench seat, loved driving that motor!

I remember the 375 was the step up for the guy who sold his Triumph Bonneville. :)

Or Velocette :)

Ford Consul 375

1595979.jpg1595978.jpg1595980.jpg1595982.jpg1595984.jpgNot for sale - it has been sold via a Car and Classic Free Ad

I remember the 375 was the step up for the guy who sold his Triumph Bonneville. :)

Ford Consul 375

1595979.jpg1595978.jpg1595980.jpg1595982.jpg1595984.jpgNot for sale - it has been sold via a Car and Classic Free Ad

wah!

long seat at the front!

which the transmission situated?

Ford Consul 375

We were never that well off!, though my great Uncle had one of the first ever colour televisions in UK!

My dad had a Francis Barnet, Triumph cub 200cc and later a BSA 650 combo unit, he had four sons and we all passed our motorcycle tests before going onto 4 wheels!.

This was in Bradford - (West Riding), used to be gods country but is now part of multi cultural GB! - lets not go there!!