Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

2. 173

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

3. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

4. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

5. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

6. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

7. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

8. 25

9. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

10. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

11. 1

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

12. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

13. 25

Older Model Vfr/cbr400 Or Cb400?

Hello,

I'm considering which one to go for, but besides having driven smaller bikes for 15 years, I've zero mechanical knowledge.

I'm not going to be spend much more than 50,000B, which means a 15-20 year old remodeled vrf. Or a slightly newer CB (I guess).

It's mainly going to be for commuting from Victory Monument to Bang Rak on a daily basis, and then taking down to Pattaya or Hua Hin every second weekend or so. Plus longer trips up through Isaan, or down to the Islands twice a year.

I don't want to be spending a few K every month fixing things or getting new parts, or a bike that has little reliability and is going to be letting me down. As I've no mechanical experience and don't want to be left at the side of the road too often (if at all :) ), or visiting a mechanic every month.

I love the look and style of the remodelled vfr/cbrs, and my heart screams for one of those.

But my head says go for a slightly newer CB400. They seem to look like they're less trouble, and more straight forward, but maybe that's just as they appear.

Has anybody knowledge on how these 2 kinds of bike age? Are the vfrs known to give trouble after nearly 20 years? Are they more difficult/tempermental than a slightly newer CB400 that costs the same?

Thanks.

Edited by Simonpetterson

Cost to maintain.. CB then CBR then VFR.. In rising order..

Tho of course buying a 50k baht bike means any one of them can go pop and so its down to condition.. I would say buying a 50k commuter is asking for trouble..

Hello,

I'm considering which one to go for, but besides having driven smaller bikes for 15 years, I've zero mechanical knowledge.

I'm not going to be spend much more than 50,000B, which means a 15-20 year old remodeled vrf. Or a slightly newer CB (I guess).

It's mainly going to be for commuting from Victory Monument to Bang Rak on a daily basis, and then taking down to Pattaya or Hua Hin every second weekend or so. Plus longer trips up through Isaan, or down to the Islands twice a year.

I don't want to be spending a few K every month fixing things or getting new parts, or a bike that has little reliability and is going to be letting me down. As I've no mechanical experience and don't want to be left at the side of the road too often (if at all :) ), or visiting a mechanic every month.

I love the look and style of the remodelled vfr/cbrs, and my heart screams for one of those.

But my head says go for a slightly newer CB400. They seem to look like they're less trouble, and more straight forward, but maybe that's just as they appear.

Has anybody knowledge on how these 2 kinds of bike age? Are the vfrs known to give trouble after nearly 20 years? Are they more difficult/tempermental than a slightly newer CB400 that costs the same?

Thanks.

I have a VFR400 right now and I love it. It's a ton of fun, but it is an old bike. I test drove the CB400 but didnt like it as much as the VFR, though I have no problems with being uncomfortable as I'm a little baby still. The VFR handles very well. very stable as slow speeds. Can just roll on through the traffic, while stopping without putting the feet down, while all the guys on the honda waves are having seizures.

I have little experience and mechanical knowledge as well, but the VFR is known as one of best handling bikes made.

Now I ride mine every day for an hour plus, and would expect to see the mechanic. It's an old bike and I don't expect to go long times without visiting the mechanic. Now mine has no problems and I rarely go. I had to get a new clutch cable and new screws for the body as it kept rattling loose, along with the oil change, for one month.

The VFR is a V4 unlike the others, so gets hotter easier. It can overheat, but i'm usually ok.

Before I had a ton of problems with overheating, but after putting in a new engine, and replacing a bunch of parts within the cooling system, (rad,tubes,cap,etc) it is fine. I had to get the shicks rebuilt, I had a leak and needed new seals, and i needed new brake pads, all of which is not cheap if your expecting to pay 50k and then spend less than 1k per month on it after. Just the oil change Will be that if you intend to drive it daily. It takes 2.5L of oil and the filter is changed with it!

Maybe a newer CB would have less problems, but have never owned one. Thats just a little experience that I've have.

I want to sell mine now because of lack of money, and want to get an nsr or something similar. Have never owned a 2 stroke before, and cannot downgrade to a CBR150. Before I had one, and it is too slow after having the VFR.

That sounds great.

Except for:

Before I had a ton of problems with overheating, but after putting in a new engine, and replacing a bunch of parts within the cooling system, (rad,tubes,cap,etc) it is fine. I had to get the shicks rebuilt, I had a leak and needed new seals, and i needed new brake pads, all of which is not cheap if your expecting to pay 50k and then spend less than 1k per month on it after. Just the oil change Will be that if you intend to drive it daily. It takes 2.5L of oil and the filter is changed with it!

But thanks for the info.

If you spend 50thou now expect that by year end that will be 80thou. You really are not going to get much bike for that money. I would look at spending at least 80thou on a Cb with green book.

Or if its just a commuter bike then maybe look at the Tiger 250 rs 72,000 new with warranty

I know its a total jump... but have you thought about finance and a new bike ??

I have owned a lot of older bikes, and the running costs on them, well some were fine, others were non stop money pits.. If I think of th emoney pit bikes, I could have had a new ER6N and paid the finance instead of servicing and had a new bike for the same total outlay as a old bike.

I know its a total jump... but have you thought about finance and a new bike ??

I have owned a lot of older bikes, and the running costs on them, well some were fine, others were non stop money pits.. If I think of th emoney pit bikes, I could have had a new ER6N and paid the finance instead of servicing and had a new bike for the same total outlay as a old bike.

You got a point there. Any used vehicle I have bought, I always had to do maintenance on. I mean even if the owner took care of it, changed the oil regularly, did all the maintenance, etc., there is still something that is going to go wrong. Plastic and rubber components/seals/gaskets will deteriorate over years, no matter how well the previous owner took care of.

If you want absolute reliability, get new. If you are getting used, then expect that you will have to sink money into it.

If you spend 50thou now expect that by year end that will be 80thou. You really are not going to get much bike for that money. I would look at spending at least 80thou on a Cb with green book.

Or if its just a commuter bike then maybe look at the Tiger 250 rs 72,000 new with warranty

Ditto, exactly what I was thinking.

If you are not a mechanic, can't fix things yourself, you should look again at at least the Tiger 250RS or bigger new bike. Old used bikes are best used once in a while and by someone who can maintain and repair daily if necessary. You won't have much fun pushing the bike along the side of the road looking for a shop to fix it.

Edited by johnefallis