Hit The Brakes

tpthai2

Its a start in what may eventually become a automatic reflex and become standard behavior for drivers. If you pessimists have a better suggestion by all means lets hear it. No 50 calibers or RPG's are allowed in the hands of any BIB for enforcement purposes.

Its not about pessimism its about understanding that to achieve caring thoughtful people you will have to change the culture of the whole society...starting from birth. Then we may achieve people who are taught to think ahead, show respect for others and take responsibilty for their actions.

Stopping for crossings is not possible without thinking ahead, how many times have you walked into 7/11 and the lady in front lets the door go in your face and then when your standing in the queue somebody walks in the door and gets served before you.

All thais need to be taught to think at the early age and understand the consequences of their actions. No more mai pen rai b-llsh-t. That phrase undermines advancement of the Thai people

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly

If City hall and the "traffic"police were really serious about safety.................This would be taught properly when you get/re-new your license.

Having done the test I can tell you that it is taught, however no-one listens and certainly no-one obeys the laws once they get behind the wheel, that's if they even bother with a license.

The biggest problem is arrogance and manners. Thai drivers simply have none of the latter and too much of the former.

You can't change this overnight in a culture that traditionally dictates the more status and money you have the less you have to obey laws. By driving a motor vehicle you automatically have more status than a pedestrian and it is the pedestrian's responsibility, being on foot, to avoid your shiny Mercedes, not the other way around.

Killing a pedestrian would cost less than a new set of tyres let's not forget.

Edited by Oberkommando

Exactly

If City hall and the "traffic"police were really serious about safety.................This would be taught properly when you get/re-new your license.

Having done the test I can tell you that it is taught, however no-one listens and certainly no-one obeys the laws once they get behind the wheel, that's if they even bother with a license.

The biggest problem is arrogance and manners. Thai drivers simply have none of the latter.

You can't change this overnight in a culture that traditionally dictates the more status and money you have the less you have to obey laws.

Add pre government education and driver training of a meaningful nature, along with proper compertence testing, nOt the pathetic meaningless situation that exits at present.

The non existing arrogance and manners would then be reduced at the very least and awareness of how you are supposed to drive would start to improve and reduce the ongoing carnage that exists on a dialy basis.

marshbags

City Hall must be really really bored.

This is total and utter rubbish.

Thai drivers consider pedestrians a little higher than the bacteria around the toilet bowl.

I could stand at a zebra crossing all day and not one driver will even consider for a nanosecond about actually stopping.

I could dance around on the side of the road in a Ronald Macdonald outfit with strawberry donut shoes and i still won't be noticed.

This will just not work, plain and simple.

Drivers here will not change, and yes, you can judge a nations civility by how it's drivers treat pedestrians!!!!!!!

So are you saying they should do nothing?

I see so many negitive comments on here these days - if they do something - people jump all over it saying it won't work or they shouldn't do it or the BIB are just after money, same happens if they do nothing - Thai doesn't care.

Yet now I see majority of people wearing helmets, yes the BIB got some money but end result is that most people now wear helmets.

When I first came here, people thought traffic lights were for decoration but now most people stop.

Same for indicators - now maybe 50% use and increasing.

There are many things here that could be improved - at least give some credit for trying to improve something.

"most people now wear helmets." really? certainly not true in th north. more like 10% wearing on a good day.

Wow, a 500 baht fine...........

That will be a real deterrent. :)

whether something will be a deterrent or not depends on the likelihood of getting caught and fined

( statistically EVPI - the expected value of perfect information). the liklihood is low in thailand

when you say wow are you saying it is insignificant for a farang or thai? for some thais 500 baht would hurt.

Wow, a 500 baht fine...........

That will be a real deterrent. :)

whether something will be a deterrent or not depends on the likelihood of getting caught and fined

( statistically EVPI - the expected value of perfect information). the liklihood is low in thailand

when you say wow are you saying it is insignificant for a farang or thai? for some thais 500 baht would hurt.

Thai or farang, it really doesn't matter

500 baht will be negotiated down to a couple of hundred baht.

Even Somchai on his bike can afford that!

Small fines are NOT a deterrent

Small fines are convenient pocket change for the BIB

Edited by robbiecia

Thai drivers consider pedestrians a little higher than the bacteria around the toilet bowl.

I could stand at a zebra crossing all day and not one driver will even consider for a nanosecond about actually stopping.

I could dance around on the side of the road in a Ronald Macdonald outfit with strawberry donut shoes and i still won't be noticed.

Drivers here will not change, and yes, you can judge a nations civility by how it's drivers treat pedestrians!!!!!!!

I see so many negitive comments on here these days - if they do something - people jump all over it saying it won't work or they shouldn't do it or the BIB are just after money, same happens if they do nothing - Thai doesn't care.

Yet now I see majority of people wearing helmets, yes the BIB got some money but end result is that most people now wear helmets.

When I first came here, people thought traffic lights were for decoration but now most people stop.

There are many things here that could be improved - at least give some credit for trying to improve something.

This city hall directive is pie in the sky

Lip service with a 500 baht fine

If you wonder why you read so many negative comments.......try crossing the roads here like i do 4 times every day.

Live here long enough and you see straight through the waffle.

Ever wonder why the fines are only a few hundred baht?????????

Yet most cars cost over a million.

A 500 baht fine will NOT change a nations driving habits.

Make the fine 5000 baht and people might take notice.

I have lived here since the 90's and been coming since early 80's - is that not long enough? How about yourself?

The worst drivers I see here are people who are not driving their own cars - delivery trucks, buses etc and the certainly would not want to pay 500 Bahts. The richer Thai's may be able to pay but they do not want the inconvenience, so again it will work if enforced.

If you wonder why you read so many negative comments.......try crossing the roads here like i do 4 times every day.

I have lived here since the 90's and been coming since early 80's - is that not long enough? How about yourself?

The worst drivers I see here are people who are not driving their own cars - delivery trucks, buses etc and the certainly would not want to pay 500 Bahts. The richer Thai's may be able to pay but they do not want the inconvenience, so again it will work if enforced.

:):D :D

Robert44, my dear man

You are joking aren't you?

Tell me about this oasis where you live :D

Exactly

The biggest problem is arrogance and manners. Thai drivers simply have none of the latter and too much of the former.

You can't change this overnight in a culture that traditionally dictates the more status and money you have the less you have to obey laws. By driving a motor vehicle you automatically have more status than a pedestrian and it is the pedestrian's responsibility, being on foot, to avoid your shiny Mercedes, not the other way around.

Spot on

Some things in Thailand are worse than useless. Zebra crossings are a prime example. They serve no useful purpose, unlike in some countries where traffic laws are obeyed. Zebra crossings encourage some naive tourists to think that they actually mean something. The tourists try to cross the road, thinking the traffic will stop for them. Too bad....

Thai driving habits will not change. Neither will the venal "enforcement" habits of the Thai police. Be extra careful when crossing any road, and when walking on any footpath that motorbike morons use, with impunity, as their way to get past traffic jams. Believe it or not, driving on a footpath is actually illegal in Thailand.

Welcome to the world of "goverment controlled traffic NL " driving 4 km/h to fast result in a fine of 32 euro!! x 45 = 1440 Baht. Driving more than 50 km to fast, anywhere = bye bye driver license. Phone calling on a motorvehicle? No problem just pay € 275,00.

If you asked most drivers here, "what is that black and white area crossing the road?" most would probably scratch their heads and smile.

Reminds me of a time when I was returning home very late at night in the compay of an oddball friend. We were hurtling along a country road at about 80 mph when we came across some magpies scavenging for road kill. I remarked that it was a pity that such a striking bird had such a reputation. There was some interchange about the contrast between black and white being in most cases attractive.

He then got out his mobile phone and called the police station in our home town. He asked if there had been any reports of animals escaping from the local zoo, in particular penguins. When the response was in the negative he said, "Shit. I've just run over a nun."

He said the cop answering the phone laughed.

Exactly

Spot on

This is why they will go into hock form 5 years of 50% of the families income

to buy a truck that cost 4 times more than their living quarters...

In the truck their status goes up immensely and they crave that beyond food or sex.

Once they have this jump in status they must flkaunt it by passing indescriminately.

And especial pass ALL motorcycles, since they are cheaper and have two less wheels.

They pass big bikes that cost more than their truck, to gain status

and then pullover in front of them 100 feet later, causing the bike more problems.

But they HAD to PASS that bike before pulling over.... because they are higher status now,

and must use it to feel that they have it.

It is a form of mass mental illness...

How can we blame politicians for stealing the country blind, when all Thais seem to

judge their status in monetary and power terms from cradle to grave?

So to try and make people on foot seem higher status than those driving or

driven from door to door, is a losing battle as long as the kow tow culture i

s still top dog in the peoples lives.

My chauffer, or idiot son, can accidentally kill someone on foot,

they are not in the same level as my car whether I am in it or not.

sad sad sad sad.

They pass big bikes that cost more than their truck, to gain status

and then pullover in front of them 100 feet later, causing the bike more problems.

But they HAD to PASS that bike before pulling over.... because they are higher status now,

and must use it to feel that they have it.

It is a form of mass mental illness...

That's not really related.

Bikes are really annoying, moving along at turtle speeds and forcing people to brake not to crush them when they approach their exit.

You exit the fast lane at 90km/h and there's a dozen bikes crawling at 50km/h 500m from your exit. You either brake or overtake.

Braking is harder on the car.

I am not talking on highways and off ramps,

but in 45-60 km zones in daily driving, where this is MUCH more prevalent.

I have had this same bullshit happen to me 3-5 times a week for 4 years

and my bike can go 140km....

While waiting to safely pass cars and trucks ahead of me,

I get passed into oncoming traffic, and then pushed back

out of my lane and/or line when they can't finish passing,

now behind them and traffic that I was waiting to pass safely myself.

I have been pushed OFF the road multiple times by this...

I have had idiots try this same thing when I was on a 1300cc super bike.

I can go 200kmh and pass most anything in 1-2 seconds,

but don't ALWAYS see that as logical or safe to do.

But some tool in a new truck with no plates will pass because

he clearly thinks he will be better for having done so.

Of course this obvious attitude means crosswalks are ignored

unless the time wasted and paperwork involved will seem a greater

waste of their time to them. Not considering than the injuries to people

who don't have the car, and thus elevated status.

You are on foot, tough luck you don't count as much.

Edited by animatic

Problem with bikes is that they occupy space on the road that is often taken by other cars cutting in front of you.

First you let a bike in, then three cars will squeeze in front of him, and you'll be left at the end of the que.