Witnessing A Death - Defying Feat..

cognos

The wife and I were driving back to Phuket from upcountry last August..we were driving at 85 km per hour on a long straight stretch..there was a large truck ahead that we could not pass for a while..a 20 something Thai male zipped by us on his motorcycle...flip flops..no helmet..shorts and a muscle shirt..he went right up to the truck, started swerving from right to left faster and faster and faster..an obvious game being played..then he got too close to the truck and hit the rear bumper..he was losing control by then anyway from swerving back and forth so fast.. and wiped out..rolling several times..I luckily did not hit him as he rolled to the right, and looking in the rear view mirror was going to slow down and stop if needed to assist him..but he QUICKLY got up and RAN off the road seemingly unhurt. The wife noted he would be very sore the next morning..VERY SORE.

The wife and I were driving back to Phuket from upcountry last August..we were driving at 85 km per hour on a long straight stretch..there was a large truck ahead that we could not pass for a while..a 20 something Thai male zipped by us on his motorcycle...flip flops..no helmet..shorts and a muscle shirt..he went right up to the truck, started swerving from right to left faster and faster and faster..an obvious game being played..then he got too close to the truck and hit the rear bumper..he was losing control by then anyway from swerving back and forth so fast.. and wiped out..rolling several times..I luckily did not hit him as he rolled to the right, and looking in the rear view mirror was going to slow down and stop if needed to assist him..but he QUICKLY got up and RAN off the road seemingly unhurt. The wife noted he would be very sore the next morning..VERY SORE.

It's not uncommon for anyone to be wearing flip flops on a scooter or motorcycle in Thailand.

Edited by Minniefarang

he did'nt die? how sad!

Only thing that comes to mind is.... Som num Na! it could have been worse, he could have killed himself or even worse, killed someone else. then he's really be in trouble/dead.

No, he would have probably only done the same thing as he did here, just run away, no consequences..

he did'nt die? how sad!

Lucky for him. He was probably wearing his lucky charm necklace that makes him believe and feel like he's "untouchable by harm"

Edited by Minniefarang

Hey Cognos,

The entire incident must have 'taken the words right out of your mouth' (or fingers). I can't believe its taken you 10 months to write about that, then suddenly out of the blue you hit us with it. Is there another story or have you just been holding out on us? :)

Only thing that comes to mind is.... Som num Na! it could have been worse, he could have killed himself or even worse, killed someone else. then he's really be in trouble/dead.

No, he would have probably only done the same thing as he did here, just run away, no consequences..

That sounds about right.

It's not uncommon for anyone to be wearing flip flops on a scooter or motorcycle in Thailand.

I don't think i would stop to assist someone like him especially if he was driving that wreckless. he could have been on yabba, ice or whatever else. Helping someone can also cause you some problems... they can try to attempt to rob you or do some really stupid shit by saying you caused the accident etc... you have to be careful.

Hey Cognos,

The entire incident must have 'taken the words right out of your mouth' (or fingers). I can't believe its taken you 10 months to write about that, then suddenly out of the blue you hit us with it. Is there another story or have you just been holding out on us? :D

Hi neversaydie..its the latter :)

Or he was just totally drunk.

Very lucky to walk away from an 85 kmh crash. I can only presume he hit nothing like a lampost or a parked vehicle as he careered along the ground. Rapid deceleration by hitting a wall etc. usually causes serious injury. Also, if he came off on the lowside and slid, rather than coming off on the highside sending him flying into the air, this would reduce the likelihood of very serious injury.

I have seen some right loony tunes on the roads around Bangkok. what a pratt.

I know that's what sister said. But it was sandy and the tyres are a bit skinny. :)

Buy a used golf cart. :D

That's not a bad idea.

I really want a big off-roader like a DRZ400 or and XR650. But can't bring myself to lay out all that cash, even though I'm still working.

Golf cart is much safer and I can't be accused of carrying a deadly weapon either. (9 iron)