Thaksin Scores Over Newin In Sakon Nakhon By-election

Journalist

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 22-06-09

EC to probe allegations against Pheu Thai

The Election Commission will probe into the allegation that ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra called to kamnan and village chiefs in Sakhon Nakhon to ask for their support for the Pheu Thai Party MP candidate in the Sunday's by-election, EC Prapan Naikowit said Monday.

The Bhum Jai Thai Party core leaders on Sunday night announced that they believe the phone calls that Thaksin made to local leaders brought the election victory to the Pheu Thai Party. They filed a complaint of electoral wrongdoing over the incident.

Unquote

Talk about self incriminating evidence.

This is just one example of their recent and alarming DGAF statements about electoral laws ect.

Arrogance at it,s worst once again courtesy of Chalerm and his coherts....AKA Thaksin,s mouthpeices

WWTEL

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like this latest election is ruffling the feathers of our local yellow shirts. Watch for news of airport closures!

Looks like next week's by-election might ruffle the feathers of our local red shirts. Watch for news of hijacked gas trucks and burning buses.

That photo of the ghastly Yoobamrung clan is profoundly depressing.

Even with money politics I can't see how such unelectable people could prosper in any kind of political system of a non-failed state. Even if one is prepared to be bought - as a voter or as an MP, you'd think there is some cut-off point, some minimum standard, below which you wouldn't allow yourself to trade.

A New Hope :)

yep... and it's that paragon of virtue... that wonderfully charming man, Chalerm... :D

alongside the victorious nominee proxy wife of the red-carded PTP...

p0101220652p1.jpg

Khao Sod newspaper

Yes an interesting looking bunch to be sure. Well how about also posting pictures of all the honest and trustworthy politicians who work selflessly for the good of the country? It won't take up much bandwidth, if any.

It is sad when a voter has only what they can regard as the lesser of evils to choose.

I don't think people of Sakhon Nakhon thought they were electing evil of any kind. They just genuinely believe Thaksin and Yobamroongs are looking after their interests. Just look at the high turnout.

These poor folks are their own worst enemies.

Thaksin Scores Over Newin In Sakon Nakhon By-election

Oops! The brainwashing is not yet complete. We won't be seeing countrywide snap elections soon. :D

Yes, the 're-educating' of the 'lower species' does not seem to have had much of an effect in this particular election.

Yep. Looks like the outstanding cases against Thaky will have to be wheeled out a bit quicker than scheduled while Aphisit pumps out his soothing mantras " everything is returning to normal " ..... " things are getting better " :)

Edited by Bangyai

A happy day for democracy in Thailand!

And one of its premier proponents:

P6317890-0.jpg

Chalerm and sons...

I was trying to calculate how many years of jail I saw in 1 picture but I lost the count somewhere.

Oh they are politicians you say.

Yes, They where the best. You wanna say Abhisit is changing anything? Gimme a laugh.

Quite amazed at the at the sheer hatred and viciousness of the anti-Thaksin brigade here! I don't remember any such knicker-twisting from the other side when PTP made a very poor showing in the last round of bye-elections. Poor old Marshbags screaming about the "scum", etc., etc.!

How they hate the fact that on a very good turnout, the people have cast their votes for their preferred candidate. Tough luck, chums, it's called democracy - something that I prefer any day to your military coups, your judicial coups and this present government of turncoats and incompetents.

Sure enough, out come their chums in the EC to declare that Thaksin's phoned appeal for support (fairly standard electioneering practise in most countries!) was somehow corrupt, so they can throw another elected MP out. Of course, had he just given out free cinema tickets directly to the electors to influence their vote, as did a member of the Dems EC, that would have been OK, or rather the evidence would quite magically disappear!

Quite amazed at the at the sheer hatred and viciousness of the anti-Thaksin brigade here!

Nothing amazing about people hating a convicted criminal who flees like a coward, refuses to accept punishment handed down by the Thai courts and who continues to stir up trouble in the country - all in the interests of saving his own precious scrawny arse.

What is amazing however, is that there are people like you who continue to speak in his defence (although you'll no doubt deny that) and mention his name in the same breath as the word democracy.

Yes, let's go back to Puea Thai, Thaksin, Chalerm et al who cynically indebted poor people like indentured bond-slave servants whilst allegedly reaping hundreds of thousands of baht in return for each couple hundred baht 'invested' per vote. Thaksin who did diddly squat to improve education for the poor (the last thing this lot would want), announced 30 baht healthcare and walked away to applause without a plan leaving an already poor system in complete tatters. Thaksin who 'perfected' rice and crop pledging 'schemes' which allegedly only enriches cronies, middlemen and politicians NOT poor farmers.

Let's go back to a Thaksin regime which brought in early closing times, proposed alcohol bans, stepped up pressure on visa-runners, created the 'Elite' program which is now in a sea of red, etc, etc.

One could go on for days about all Mr Thaksin's past 'accomplishments' (style of which Newin would like to continue as it's a proven self-serving, self-win formula).

The ONLY good thing to come from this by (buy?) election is Newin's faction may have to at least 'pretend' to heed the Dems repeated requests for transparency in Newin's BJ projects (bus schemes, airport expansion, rice and crop pledging, 'toxic' herbs, etc, etc, etc)

Suffice to say, despite the Dems winning far more by-elections earlier this year, the Reds/Puea Thai will now be bolstered to really raise Cain in the upcoming rallies in support of the Thaksin family business/party (conveniently just ahead of Mr Thaksin's court date for confiscation of his 76 billion frozen baht;) :)

Fantastic. I mentioned this expat mentality in previous posts.

He was right on all counts for a number of reasons.

Why should Thais work in bars round the clock for slave wages in order that some idiot drunk sex tourists might fancy a grope of them?

Clamp downs of visa runners are definately a step in the right direction and something this government is running with as well. Proper visas are easy to come by, just that many jack the lad falangs think themselves above being told what to do, pay taxes, contribute to society etc.

Elite program was ahead of its time and would probably work well if introduced now. Thaksin had the foresight but overlooked just what cheapskate falangs were residing in Thailand.

Oh and here comes another fantastically well crafted ripost from one of the leading coup supporters in our midst.

sriracha john Posted Today, 2009-06-22 19:21:11 QUOTE (jumnien @ 2009-06-22 18:38:40) post_snapback.gifLooks like this latest election is ruffling the feathers of our local yellow shirts. Watch for news of airport closures!

Looks like next week's by-election might ruffle the feathers of our local red shirts. Watch for news of hijacked gas trucks and burning buses.

Has SRJ not seen the total pigs ear that the Army appointed Dem government has made recently.

Killed the economy, lost confidence on the worlds stage, let a known mobster organise a militia in pattaya, and then, just as everybody thought the housing marked had been decimated beyond hope.... they send their man down to phuket to put the wind up any prospective investors in Thailand for at least another year.

Record export drops, record tourist drops, serious crime wave... Well, never mind, at least they are not called Thaksin.

I bet a vast majority of the country would gladly let Thaksin have his Chump Change if he could fix the economy and bring Thailand back to the heady boom times that he brought about.

The good thing about the Dems being in power is that they can now demonstrate beyond all doubt what happens to a country when elections are gerrymandered, and people clearly not up to the job are brought in. Make them un-electable for another 5 terms if not longer. :D

I notice they are trying to overturn this emphatic victory as well on some technicallity. Technicallity being that they garnered more votes!

Quite amazed at the at the sheer hatred and viciousness of the anti-Thaksin brigade here! I don't remember any such knicker-twisting from the other side when PTP made a very poor showing in the last round of bye-elections. Poor old Marshbags screaming about the "scum", etc., etc.!

How they hate the fact that on a very good turnout, the people have cast their votes for their preferred candidate. Tough luck, chums, it's called democracy - something that I prefer any day to your military coups, your judicial coups and this present government of turncoats and incompetents.

Sure enough, out come their chums in the EC to declare that Thaksin's phoned appeal for support (fairly standard electioneering practise in most countries!) was somehow corrupt, so they can throw another elected MP out. Of course, had he just given out free cinema tickets directly to the electors to influence their vote, as did a member of the Dems EC, that would have been OK, or rather the evidence would quite magically disappear!

Total agree to Cat man of Chiang Mai.

Seriously can't see our great defender of democracy returning to Thailand to do an Aung San Suu Kyi any time soon, ready to defend his good name from a prision cell with the power of the world media on hand to help him fight his case...

... only for them to realise "he's as guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo" (to steal a Blackadder phrase).

Best stick to phone-ins, Thaksin.

Quite amazed at the at the sheer hatred and viciousness of the anti-Thaksin brigade here!

Nothing amazing about people hating a convicted criminal who flees like a coward, refuses to accept punishment handed down by the Thai courts and who continues to stir up trouble in the country - all in the interests of saving his own precious scrawny arse.

What is amazing however, is that there are people like you who continue to speak in his defence (although you'll no doubt deny that) and mention his name in the same breath as the word democracy.

Punishment handed by a military appointed court following a military coup.

Since then the people have repeatedly voted for politicians supporting Thaksin, only to see their choice overturned by a court appointed by the coup makers.

Let's make it clear. You feel like you belong to an elite that is above democracy, that your decision should not be contested by the "uneducated". Be honest, accept it. But please stop talking about democracy or first make the effort to understand the meaning of the word.

Edited by Pierrot

Punishment handed by a military appointed court following a military coup.

Since then the people have repeatedly voted for politicians supporting Thaksin, only to see their choice overturned by a court appointed by the coup makers.

Let's make it clear. You feel like you belong to an elite that is above democracy, that your decision should not be contested by the "uneducated". Be honest, accept it. But please stop talking about democracy or first make the effort to understand the meaning of the word.

Yes, I feel like I belong to an elite that is above democracy, that my decision should not be contested by the "uneducated". Be honest, accept it. But please, the "uneducated" should stop talking about democracy or first make the effort to understand the meaning of the word.

Read my post again, and tell me where I'm speaking in his defence. I'm simply pointing out the total inability of his detractors to accept the democratic will of the electors in Sakon Nakhon.

I most certainly don't believe that he is the Devil incarnate personally responsible for every evil under the Sun, but then neither do I believe that he was the saviour of the rural Thai population - somewhat of a false prophet on that score!

If, and when the Dems actually win a General Election, I will accept the will of the Thai people, not abuse them for voting for a party that I happen to dislike. You see, unlike some on here I actually believe in democracy.

Yes, I feel like I belong to an elite that is above democracy, that my decision should not be contested by the "uneducated". Be honest, accept it. But please, the "uneducated" should stop talking about democracy or first make the effort to understand the meaning of the word.

Democracy : one person = one vote

Your definition ?

Your definition ?

My definition,

Democracy : 70% selected, 30% elected

This is the world's true democracy.

Thaksin wanted to change the country drastically ( also with him, some corruption power is needed, to change for the good ), the corrupt elite prevented it, and make him have a bad image, now he's on the run.

Abhisit is another puppet of the game. The situation remains the same for Thailand with him. Businessmen hold the power, so was Thaksin. Politicians do not hold power. Combined it does: Thaksin. I'm not saying everything in the man was good. But if the Thai people want to evolve to a modernized country, than the drastically need to change they way of living/working, starting with changing the Thai Law system. Thai people won't change their behavior, because they are mostly low educated. The need a leader to show it to them.

***inappropriate comments removed***

Democracy gives people the shared power, now the people have no power at all. Only the Thai elite, who keeps holding the strings. The country is now not on a good way, by it's policy it's practicing now towards foreigners and locals.

Thailand wants to be independent? Good, lock all doors, or open yourself to the world, and be a better country.

Your definition ?

My definition,

Democracy : 70% selected, 30% elected

This is the world's true democracy.

Pierrot is right, what you say is no democracy :)

It's democracy in the sense that :

Meet John Doe was democracy,

or

State of The Union with a disillusioned Grant Matthews. (S. Tracy 1948)

or

Much of Chicago's politics surrounding the iron hand of Mayor Daily through the 50-60's

and other places world wide. Oh yes let's not forget Iran THIS WEEK...

When big political machines can deliver the vote and the little people lose their say

from lack of available truths, or machinations of local and regional leaders,

democracy is lost as each vote is subjugated to the machines goal, not the peoples.

Thaksin still controls a machine.

Newin is attempting to build one and suppress Thaksin's.

Clearly the Thaksin machine is more dangerous than the PTP party fronting it.

And make no mistake the PTP is only the public face of Thaksin's power block.

Pinocchio in more ways than one to an evil Gepeto in the shadows.

He doesn't want thoughtful, powerful men in it, he can't control them....

The Dems are attempting to limit, in any way, the corruption that feeds BOTH competing machines.

While not being lilly white themselves, it is still not the same crassness of outcomes they seek.

Edited by animatic

Sort of followed the run up to the by election and the next and was wondering what the policies of PTP were, what they would do to fix the economy, unrest in the south, bus deal, rice pledging, etc,etc. Dont seem to have heard any of that.

Do they actually have any policies or is bring back Taxin their only idea?

Also it seems to me that it is unrealistic to expect the present (elected) government to have fixed all the woes of the country and indeed the world in the short, less than 6 months, they have been in office particularly considering all the "help" they have had from many PM's who were elected by the people to assist in running (as in improving) the country only to attempt to tear it down for what would appear to be their own selfish ends.

Sort of followed the run up to the by election and the next and was wondering what the policies of PTP were, what they would do to fix the economy, unrest in the south, bus deal, rice pledging, etc,etc. Dont seem to have heard any of that.

Also it seems to me that it is unrealistic to expect the present (elected) government to have fixed all the woes of the country and indeed the world in the short, less than 6 months, they have been in office particularly considering all the "help" they have had from many PM's who were elected by the people to assist in running (as in improving) the country only to attempt to tear it down for what would appear to be their own selfish ends.

It's basically the same situation as Myanmar. There is so much hatred of the coup-makers that most people are fixated on just returning to who was elected before the hideous generals took over and subsequently installed the present government. When they are defeated ultimately it will be time to seriously engage in policy origination.

A happy day for democracy in Thailand!

And one of its premier proponents:

P6317890-0.jpg

Chalerm and sons...

I was trying to calculate how many years of jail I saw in 1 picture but I lost the count somewhere.

Oh they are politicians you say.

Yes, They where the best. You wanna say Abhisit is changing anything? Gimme a laugh.

No I am not but as far as I know is that I see at least 3 people in one picture considered to be criminals.Yet none of them have served 1 day in jail.

Six months after the election and they still don't even have a Puea Thai Party Leader... one that wants it, anyway.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Puea-Thai-Pa...ip-t242242.html

Puea Thai Party Divided Over Leadership

Anyway, a pretty fair assessment of yesterday:

Who really fought in Sakon Nakhon?

The result of Sunday's by-elections in Sakon Nakhon's Constituency 3 did not only shock Newin Chidchob and his fledging Bhum Jai Thai Party, but also political observers.

Despite the campaigns and other such ballyhoo for its first election, the coalition partner Bhum Jai Thai Party lost by almost 50 per cent to its rival Pheu Thai Party.

Still, this stunning loss gives us reason to consider the following 10 points:

This result does not show the entire picture of Thai politics, nor can it explain the battle between the government, coalition partners and the opposition.

This by-election should, in fact, have been a scrap between the opposition Pheu Thai Party's Anurak Bunsol and coalition partner Bhum Jai Thai's Pitak Chansri. Sadly, it turned out to be a battle between two banned politicians - Thaksin Shinawatra and his ex-right-hand man Newin Chidchob. This is probably why most newspaper headlines were screaming: "Thaksin scores over Newin" or "Newin lost to Thaksin".

Thaksin and his party, no matter what it is called, will remain popular in the Northeast. The people will remain loyal to Thaksin - the only prime minister who recognised them. Not only did Thaksin make their lives better through Thai Rak Thai's populist policies, but he also was the only premier they could access.

Isaan people hate ungrateful people, and Pheu Thai Party capitalised on this by attacking Newin. They distributed leaflets carrying pictures of Newin hugging Thaksin and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva under the headline "Sakon Nakhon residents: oppose this disgraceful man".

It is easy to impress villagers with hi-tech communications and reality shows, and Interior Minister and Bhum Jai Thai Party Leader, Chaovarat Chanweerakul, tried to cash in on this by having his team hold reality-show type campaigns at Wat Noan Sawan in Sakon Nakhon.

The show aimed to test the popularity of his party against Thaksin's. Sadly, it was ineffective. All Thaksin - a former telecoms tycoon and a globetrotter - had to do to win was talk to his supporters via phone-ins and call the 10 kamnan and village chiefs personally ask for their support.

Party executives should pick up on this fugitive former prime minister's management skills, who seems to be able to handle things from overseas and easily lead his party to victory.

It is not always true that candidates from a government's party will win an election. Even though the Democrats are ruling the country, and earlier candidates from its coalition partners had won by-elections in 30 constituencies, Sakon Nakhon has been an exception to the rule. Perhaps the government's performance, especially in terms of tackling with the economic crisis, has failed to impress voters.

Sakon Nakhon's results may make many of the Isaan MPs, wondering whether to join Newin's or Thaksin's parties, reconsider their decision.

Known as a cunning politician, who rarely loses a political battle, Newin might be facing one of the toughest tasks since he was taken into custody after the 2006 military coup. It is not good for a party to lose its first electoral battle, and though the party insists it hasn't lost the actual war, Newin still needs to revamp his strategy to conquer Thaksin's popularity in the Northeast.

This result might put a smile on Abhisit's face, because even though Newin helped him form the government, he and his Bhum Jai Thai have been clashing with the Democrats over some government projects. Maybe this time Newin will be less aggressive and tone down his power-bargaining tactics and ambition.

Thaksin's enemies should not underestimate his powers, because this is a man who cannot be easily got rid of in Thailand's political scene.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-23

Edited by sriracha john