How Are We Brits Perceived In Thailand?

mahtin

Us Britishers are not perceived any differently from other Western nationalities living in Thailand.

As far as the Thais are concerned, we all originate from Farangland, speak Farang, all are Christian, rich womanising computer junkies.

A year ago I was in San Pa Tong hospital, Chiang Mai. A nurse came in and asked me if I would like a magazine to read. To alleviate the boredom of staying in hospital I thanked her and said, yes please.

The nurse handed me a magazine. Problem was it was a German magazine. I explained to the nurse that I am English and unable to read a German magazine. The nurse replied, no, It`s a Farang magazine you should be able to read it. I said no more and yet back to sleep.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well..its kind of sad if people garner their views on entire nationalities based on one place..and in particular if that place happens to be a place like Pattaya. Not that im a Pattaya expert, i really only know about it via what i read/stories ive been told/articles ive read. However, seems to me to be the place that attracts a certain type of personality. Its likely to be the same people who make general comments about ALL of Thai people based on their experience of Thai people in Pattaya. In the end is it not a bit like the pot calling the kettle black anyway?

If God said to me "son I will give you another chance you can be any nationality in the world what will it be" Id reply thank you for the offer but you got it right the first time round....I'm Proud to be British. And for any of the Brit bashers here, you either feel inferior for some reason or jealous and for the Brits bashing other Brits you don't deserve to be British.

We're talking about the lager lout element that ruin places for the rest of us.

So to be British, I need to be drunk, abusive, loud, violent . . . this is how Brits are perceived on the Eastern Seaboard and contrary to other posts on this thread the Thai's do know which nationality is which and they ain't keen on the British.

If so, you're right, I don't deserve to be British.

I don't drink, so I've never met a "lager lout". Still, the British are the only nationality that my experience has taught me to avoid. I'm sure there are exceptions but there seems to be a genetic imperative to be bores.

It's a class based society, much like Thailand and one just gets sick about hearing about the others "working class roots", or however GCSE's or "A" levels they have. Who the f*** cares? It's high school for crissakes. Then you get the "class jumpers" that want to talk about going to "grammar school", what? 30 years ago? <deleted> cares?

Always pointing out what a "clever" person might do. Much less interested in what an intelligent, moral or honest person might do. :)

Funny, how many Brit's would make similar sweeping generalisations about Americans as well. I guess it really depends on the Brits that you meet, certainly the ones that I know are nothing like what you describe, and I count in my circle of friends a number of differnt nationalities. We all get on very well, make a little fun out of each other, but there is none of the class, education BS floating around. I'm British and I make no excuses for it, take it or leave it, I judge people as an individual not on the basis of what other people might be like from that nation.

Plenty of tossers to be found in Thailand from all countries, howver they should be pretty easy to avoid. Take the blinkers off, and you might find there are some decent people out there.

Maybe we are, maybe we aren't.

I went into a pub with a Canadian friend in Toronto and went to sit at the bar. He quickly advised me of the dangers. Some idiot may consider that to be 'his' chair and see it as justification to start a fight.

Having lunch in Gullivers one afternoon and I saw a large American screaming that he was "Gonna kick that bitch's ass (or arse if you are British)". The lady in question was a tiny little Thai that had had some business with him the night before.

I have sat and drank through rugby games on the same table as the opposing nation and had a real laugh before heading home.

Weird isn't it!

This post reminded me of this local survey recently undertaken.............

Asia-Pacific News

Brits tops for north-eastern Thai women seeking foreign husbands

By DPA

May 22, 2009, 2:50 GMT

Bangkok - A recent survey of marriage preferences among women in Thailand's impoverished north-east region found that more than three-fifths want to marry foreigners with British husbands topping the wish list, media reports said Friday.

Of 488 single women living in Thailand's 19 north-eastern provinces surveyed from March to April, 61 per cent said they deemed foreign men attractive matches because they are rich, and 53 per cent said they thought foreign men respected women more than their Thai counterparts, the Nation Daily Express reported.

When asked their marital preferences among foreigners, 32 per cent of the respondents cited British husbands as their top choice, 21 per cent opted for US nationals and 8 per cent for Germans.

The north-east, also called Isaan, has witnessed a proliferation of mixed marriages between Thai women and Western men in recent years, driven primarily by the Thais' desire for financial security and a better lifestyle, past social surveys have found.

Isaan, where half of Thailand's population resides, is deemed the poorest region in the country in terms of per-capita income.

Edited by Dave the Dude

Asia-Pacific News

By DPA

Bangkok - A recent survey of marriage preferences among women in Thailand's impoverished north-east region found that more than three-fifths want to marry foreigners with British husbands topping the wish list, media reports said Friday.

Of 488 single women living in Thailand's 19 north-eastern provinces surveyed from March to April, 61 per cent said they deemed foreign men attractive matches because they are rich, and 53 per cent said they thought foreign men respected women more than their Thai counterparts, the Nation Daily Express reported.

When asked their marital preferences among foreigners, 32 per cent of the respondents cited British husbands as their top choice, 21 per cent opted for US nationals and 8 per cent for Germans.

The north-east, also called Isaan, has witnessed a proliferation of mixed marriages between Thai women and Western men in recent years, driven primarily by the Thais' desire for financial security and a better lifestyle, past social surveys have found.

Isaan, where half of Thailand's population resides, is deemed the poorest region in the country in terms of per-capita income.

There's a lot of expat gentlemen.

A lot of sex touroid lager louts.

Critical difference.

I'm going to have to say honestly that Brits are not perceived very well here by the Thais I know. The Thais say the Brits get drunk, make a problem and fight I suppose the same could be said about American red necks but there aren't to many of them here mostly because of the import tax on their mobile homes I imagine. In any event I have many friends from England that I met in my own country and they were well behaved proper people as most Americans imagine the English to be but since I have been to Thailand that image is shattered and I find myself having more in common with Australians. I have always liked the English and have had great respect for them my mother and father even took me to Ottawa in 1976 to have a look at the Queen but I would not want to make a comment about the Brits based on what I have seen here. All that being said I think all of the people I have seen out and about (Westerners) have not been a 'good quality' of people over all and yes I know I don't know these people but it is my impression watching them lurk about the city. I tend to notice a hostility about Westerners and I always thought it was just me but my youngest child cries and runs away when she sees a Westerner so.... I'm not sure what to make of it.

Have you delved into why your child does that? It's irrational under normal circumstances (even in Pattaya) so one would have to conclude that she's suffered some traumatic experience related to Westerners. Or perhaps Thai relatives are brianwashing her to believe that ALL Westerners are evil. Either way, this irrational behaviour can have some seriously adverse effects on her development and perception of the world she lives in. Please, get her some psychiatric help ASAP.

Perhaps it is because most Westerners wear a scowl and look threatening while the average Thai person is approachable and shows loving kindness toward children which is why my wife and I decided to raise our children in Thailand. We have no Thai relatives living in Chiang Mai and Thai people aren't the ones in Thailand doing the brainwashing nor are they the ones who told my older daughter she "is going to hel_l". Obviously not all Westerners are like this and I never said they were I'm a Westerner and so are the majority of my family and friends but friendly Westerners are hard to come by here. If you will also notice I did manage to slip my fellow Americans in that as well and as a young man I could drink and fight with the best of them, I even fancied myself as a redneck in my youth.

And as a qualified licensed psychiatrist I can assure my child does not need psychiatric help at 1 year and 5 months old and I am offended by your opinion with so few facts.

Critical difference.

British gentlemen tend to be a bit restrained. People who hate them say they are aloof. Americans tend to be sarcastic and outspoken. Thais being sensitive people who take criticisms very personally, naturally prefer the former.

Thanks Ulyses,

I don't see this behaviour, but I don't tend to go to the "in your face" bargirl areas, usually frequented by free spending tourists. So i guess that these troublemakers are 2 week tourists mainly, and that Thais other than Bargirls would not really know about these yobs. When I go to Pattaya, I tend to avoid the bars in Soi 7/8 (too noisy) and walking street, preferring the bars in Soi Diana, Bhuakow and drinking street.

So a Thai bargirl would probably have a different perception of the English than say a hotel worker.

When I lived in Pattaya I used to stay out most of the night several times a week. Inevitably fights occur between midnight and 3:00 AM after several hours of drinking and/or recreational drug use. Sad to say most of the participants were English and they often fought amongst themselves. When they refused to pay their bar tab or physically abused the girls, gangs of young Thai men with weapons descended on the unsuspecting British tourists and politely ask them to pay before beating them down.

Now I live in Bangkok and enjoy the street scene provided by the Brits for free. When they come on a two week vacation they usually only bring enough money for one. Money is spent freely for the first day or two. Tattooed men with shaved heads wearing at most beach clothes party like rock stars as loud as they can. The shirts come off when they switch from beer to shots and they begin to sing unintelligibly. A few hours later the fights start, glasses are broken, more singing along with vomiting and passing out. Fortunately for them and us by day three they have no money. God save the queen!

The common answer in Thailand for loud, unruly behavior, rudeness, no tip, etc. is, "He's probably British". I was in Gulliver's on Soi 5 a few years ago. I usually came in in the early afternoon and one day found the door off the dining room locked with a sign asking that I use the other front door. I asked the manager why they were now locking one of the two exits? He looked at my like I was asking a stupid question while replying, "English people", like that should have explained everything. It turns out that suspected Brits were leaving their spots in the bar, presumably to go to the restroom and were never seen again.

I love the show.

Edited by grantbkk

What i mean is that there is a bigger percentage bad drunks from england then there is from any other nation.

Maybe it is because so many of the intelligent, discerning, selective, educated and civilised Brits wouldn't dream of coming to Thailand such is its reputation. The gutter UK Press, who delight in slamming Thailand, is read by those who need pictures, preferably of pneumatic airhead blondes, in their newspapers. What they write acts as a magnet for the dross.

I would say that the Brits in LOS are not an accurate reflection of the Brit populace any more than the US guys who seem to weigh 18 stones at least, grow big beards, are heavily tattoed, wear heavily studded leather waistcoats and ride around on noisy two wheeled contraptions with handlebars of exaggerated length, the length being inversely proportionate to their thoughts about the size of their willy, and generally try to give the impression that they are roughy toughies. My guess is that to most European eyes they look totally ridiculous but what the hel_l - be who you want to be.

When booking into a hotel I always give my occupation as 'Gentleman'. It usually generates a smile or two.

Unfortunately, Thailand has become the Benidorm of Asia.

Easily accessible to the working class masses from the UK.

When you have large numbers from one particular country, you will get the bad elements.

I am ashamed if i see fellow Brits drunk and disorderly.

The Yanks would probably have the same problem if they were here in numbers.

Fortunately, their working class haven't even heard of Thailand.........or is that Taiwan????

When I came to Thailand I travelled all over the counrty for 6 months meeting many different nationalities. I think you can tell a lot about the person by the the area they visit or live because with my long 2 day visit to pattaya (too long) I met d**khead after d**khead however if you travel to the more secluded areas you will find generally more layed back people.

Obviously this is not true with everybody but its just an observation I have seen. I am too British and I am genuinely embarassed by the behaviour of many from my homeland but I have also met loud, unpleasant Americans, alchoholic Aussies, rude South Africans etc etc.

If you come on here slagging off Brits ,Yanks and other nationalities I think this tells a lot about the person who posts the abuse. If you stay in Pattaya dont be suprised to be surrounded by drunk, loud sex seekers from all walks of life and if you got to somewhere more rural then your more likely to meet less loud nicer people.

I stayed in Koh Chang for a while walking past the same shop everyday and when I went in the girl asked where I was from, when I told her I was English she said why have you got no tattoos, enough said.

"The reality is that the vast majority of yanks are passport holders. Many don't choose Thailand as a travel destination like other westerners do. The reasons are best saved for another post."

Umm beg to differ. USAtoday showed that ONLY 22% of American's hold Passports. so certainly NOT a vast MAJORITY.

Many don't choose to travel because put simply ....They can't. :D:)

ALSO may i add that i have several Friends that are indeed American. And very nice people they are. also not one of them is from California.

Oops! me bad. :D . May i add that i have many friends that are Brits! Jing jing. I'm from Boston. so maybe we can be friends. :D

Asia-Pacific News

By DPA

Critical difference.

Are the British perceived as in the painting??? :)

Could ask the same questions about lot of nationalities, are the Germans all like Hitler, are the French all rude, are the Irish thick, are the Americans all flash and loud mouths,

Are all Russians all mafia types, etc etc etc? In my experience having worked in many different countries along side a broad spectrum of nationalities I would have to say the British are well respected by all nationalities for various reasons, love our football, would love to visit or live in UK, like our freedom, which lots of countries don’t have etc..

I have lived in Pattaya and to a point agree there are some loud mouth drunken British, as well as French, Norwegian, Swedish, Russians, Americans the list could go on and cover most people who visit Pattaya, they come for good time let there hair down and have fun. British no how to have fun unlike lots of other nationalities don’t know the meaning of the word FUN.

Like most people who live in Pattaya I sometimes people watch and see allsorts of different nationalities going about there everyday business with ladies, guys, on there own or what ever turns them on and never in the 6 years I lived in Pattaya saw any British fighting.

I’ve see them rowdy arguing over football or Bar Girls but never seen it come to actual blows on the other hand seen many from outside the UK fighting or maybe just I wasn’t in the right place at the right time to see all the so called Larger louts as we British are perceived. :D

If your street wise you can avoid lots of unsavory characters, down and outs, scum of the nation, in the bars on the streets of Thailand no matter which place you live, give them a wide berth. I do!!!! And get on with my own life instead of worrying about everyone else’s as lot on TV tend to do :D .

Get a life, life is to short so enjoy what you have and be thankful for what you have, think it could be worse you could be back in your own country, no job, no wife, no money, at least in LOS we all have good life if that’s what we choose. :D

Critical difference.

British gentlemen tend to be a bit restrained. People who hate them say they are aloof. Americans tend to be sarcastic and outspoken. Thais being sensitive people who take criticisms very personally, naturally prefer the former.

Are you sourcing this information from somewhere, or is this your insightful opinion :)

For many things Khon Aunkrit blame the German and make fun of the French. They have a lot of sense of humour and love sarcastic joke of everything include or especially their country. They are very good friends though.

In general, Khon Aunkrit are more friendly than the business like Khon Yerramann while Khon Amerigun are polite but keep more distance.

Khon Ausatralia are great teenager pals, what sup mate? China plate, good digger..

Khon Viking is very friendly and sincere. They think only clean water is Singha.

Khon Sapain and Khon Ittarly are happy folks. Everybody has been friend from the last life and they ecercise fingers on people's cheeks.

- Experience of one Thai

I did a quick search of Pattaya news items and the results showed that most drunken assaults/fights are Thai/Thai.

I wasn't going to spend forever on it, but it turned up 1 Brit, 2 Middle-eastern, 2 Russians, 1 New Zealander, 1 German, 1 from Sweden and 1 from Finland.

Not exactly conclusive, I know

I'm going to have to say honestly that Brits are not perceived very well here by the Thais I know. The Thais say the Brits get drunk, make a problem and fight I suppose the same could be said about American red necks but there aren't to many of them here mostly because of the import tax on their mobile homes I imagine. In any event I have many friends from England that I met in my own country and they were well behaved proper people as most Americans imagine the English to be but since I have been to Thailand that image is shattered and I find myself having more in common with Australians. I have always liked the English and have had great respect for them my mother and father even took me to Ottawa in 1976 to have a look at the Queen but I would not want to make a comment about the Brits based on what I have seen here. All that being said I think all of the people I have seen out and about (Westerners) have not been a 'good quality' of people over all and yes I know I don't know these people but it is my impression watching them lurk about the city. I tend to notice a hostility about Westerners and I always thought it was just me but my youngest child cries and runs away when she sees a Westerner so.... I'm not sure what to make of it.

Have you delved into why your child does that? It's irrational under normal circumstances (even in Pattaya) so one would have to conclude that she's suffered some traumatic experience related to Westerners. Or perhaps Thai relatives are brianwashing her to believe that ALL Westerners are evil. Either way, this irrational behaviour can have some seriously adverse effects on her development and perception of the world she lives in. Please, get her some psychiatric help ASAP.

Perhaps it is because most Westerners wear a scowl and look threatening while the average Thai person is approachable and shows loving kindness toward children which is why my wife and I decided to raise our children in Thailand. We have no Thai relatives living in Chiang Mai and Thai people aren't the ones in Thailand doing the brainwashing nor are they the ones who told my older daughter she "is going to hel_l". Obviously not all Westerners are like this and I never said they were I'm a Westerner and so are the majority of my family and friends but friendly Westerners are hard to come by here. If you will also notice I did manage to slip my fellow Americans in that as well and as a young man I could drink and fight with the best of them, I even fancied myself as a redneck in my youth.

And as a qualified licensed psychiatrist I can assure my child does not need psychiatric help at 1 year and 5 months old and I am offended by your opinion with so few facts.

I assure you that my comments were meant to be constructive, and I guess I missed that part in your original reply saying that your daughter is only 1 year and 5 months old. LOL - of course at that early an age most things are strange and mysterious - basically a lot of fuel for fright. Hopefully, as she grows older she will learn to realize that there are nasty evil Thais and Westerners, and to have an automatic reaction of terror to either of these groups would seriously restrict her development and her appreciation of the world.

BTW, anybody who has worked with or knows psychologists/psychiatrists (as I have) has probably observed that these people are generally some of least well-adjusted people around (although I'm sure you're an exception). I'm convinced that the people who enter this field often do so because they are individuals that are most in need of the "services" they offer, so your CLAIM that you're "a qualified licensed psychiatrist" doesn't make me feel any different about my opinion or your stance on it.

I think most people take others on face value no matter where you are from.

If you look like a scruff in flip flops and a sweaty t-shirt you will be perceived differently than if you are wearing shoes and a shirt.

I find they don't usually care where you are from, it's how you present yourself.

I never dress like a scruff so I don't know what it feels like dressed like that.

Well guys, I have lived in Thailand coming up for 23 years (Songkhla) and have spent the last 1 and a half of those in Pattaya. I have not seen a fight yet. Obviously I am not going to the right sort of sleaze bar :)

You can slag us English off all you like. I know I am well received here in Thailand. I have plenty of Thai people talk to me as soon as they see me standing there. When they find out I am English, there is never a problem. We have a chat and all is well.

Maybe it is the general demeanour of some Farang that puts people off.

Drunken louts? Maybe some but the Germans & Aussies seem to have a much worse reputation for drinking morning and night.

Rule Brittania !! :)

I would have to agree with Jung on this one. Before moving to Thailand, I lived for many years in Barbados. The English there, (most were on holiday) seemed a different type. They were by far my favorite nationality.

Here, unfortunately, you get a lot of guys here for the hookers and to get hammered because it's cheaper and you can do it longer. I don't think the Thai people are seeing an accurate representation of the English (or any other nationality come to think of it).

That said, I'm definitely saving that picture to send to my english buddies!!! :):D:D

I was in Cassanovi gogo on WS taking a whiz at a urinal, three brits (by their accent) enter the restroom and were all singing

a song loudly, after a minute one looks at me and says "why are you not singing with us?". I just smiled. WOT YOU GOT A PROBLEM

and the 3 surround me. Where are you from mate. I said USA. Oh your a yank huh? Yes. Well next time we sing you sing too. I kept

smiling and walked out. 3 on 1 they were tough as nails, i am hoping to run into one 1 on 1 and see how bad he is.

I was in Cassanovi gogo on WS taking a whiz at a urinal, three brits (by their accent) enter the restroom and were all singing

a song loudly, after a minute one looks at me and says "why are you not singing with us?". I just smiled. WOT YOU GOT A PROBLEM

and the 3 surround me. Where are you from mate. I said USA. Oh your a yank huh? Yes. Well next time we sing you sing too. I kept

smiling and walked out. 3 on 1 they were tough as nails, i am hoping to run into one 1 on 1 and see how bad he is.

Sounds like BS to me

Like when you were dying from Swine Flu and wrote it on TV

Need attention do we?

:)

Sounds like BS to me

Like when you were dying from Swine Flu and wrote it on TV

Need attention do we?

:)

Funny exactly what I thought!

The British will always have this image because of stupid posts like this. As one poster pointed out the observations made have all been given by other nationalities. The gentleman who posted that he had never had anything to do with the British because of their reputation needs to give his head a shake and pull it out of his ass (arse) there again better he leave it where it is, as I would not want to associate with a person like that.

I would like to think that most posters on this forum are well educated and able to make their own opinions based on peoples behavior (all nationalities) I personally have only seen two fights whilst in Thailand and these involved other nationalities non English.

Get drunk enjoy yourself not all of us want to fight the world when drunk. Chok-dee

post-60101-1245773965_thumb.png

Thank you for the good response.

I attribute it in some part to the esteemed artist Banksy, another of whose works above is entitled "Have a nice day."

Please do.