Gps

ChiangMaiFun

I'm not sure where to get the best deal, but be sure to get a Garmin. The Garmin units have a good mapping system of Thailand. I have a very good Magellan that I use in Canada and the USA, but Magellan doesn't offer any detailed maps of Thailand. I was traveling with a Thai friend who owns a Garmin and her unit had an excellent built in map. It gave us advice (in English) as we were driving, and told us on what road to turn onto to reach our destination. It was so accurate that even when we stopped for gas it corrected us on how to get back on course.

I'm not sure where to get the best deal, but be sure to get a Garmin. The Garmin units have a good mapping system of Thailand. I have a very good Magellan that I use in Canada and the USA, but Magellan doesn't offer any detailed maps of Thailand. I was traveling with a Thai friend who owns a Garmin and her unit had an excellent built in map. It gave us advice (in English) as we were driving, and told us on what road to turn onto to reach our destination. It was so accurate that even when we stopped for gas it corrected us on how to get back on course.

Fantastic thanks... Garmin it is but hope someone posts where is the cheapest place in CM :)

I would recomend Eagle GPS at Pantip plaza, Chiang Mai. I have attached a letter from the manager regarding the GPS..

I bought a Nuvi from them and am very happy with it :)

"Being honest with you; there are some troubles with the nuvi 710 - it's just very slow. It can be really upsetting. I just had a customer who returned the unit. Not mentioned that we were sending it two times to the service in Bangkok and also switched for another one.

The Garmin support informed that the problem should be resolved with the new firmware version, which should be ready in one month.

Nuvi 310 is an older model (with a flap antenna) but has some extra features like MP3 Player and Bluetooth (Hands-free system for a mobile with Bluetooth). ESRI is clearing stock and selling it in promotion for

12.900,- THB

Nuvi 205 - it's a new model in Thailand. It has a track log function, which can be useful for your trip records, also can be send as a file to your friends and be diplayed with Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/). Price: 12.700,- THB

All the units include car charger. The wall charger is an extra cost. If you need to use the unit indoors, you can charge it via USB cable with your computer.

Also if you are interested in any particular model from Garmin we can make a special order. "

Maurycy Siedlowski [[email protected]]

Edited by Ajarn

I also own a Magellan, and it has a good Thailand map, but not as good as Garmin :)

Try the Eagle GPS store on the third floor of Pantip Plaza in the night bizare area. They have Garmin and loads of maps too. Nice people to deal with as well.

I, too, second the choice of Eagle in Pantip--Mauricy, a nice Polish guy seems very knowledgeable--incidentally, not sure whether they still carry them but I bought a unit from Wintec which links up with any Windows Mobile based PDA and have been pretty happy with this also--mind you I have had this for some years now; just thought I would mention this in the event that you happen to have a decent PDA--the Wintec units were a lot cheaper than the prices quoted for Garmins. Depends what you want, I guess.

I need to buy one... prices? where best place to get one? English of course... thanks in advance

Agree with everyone, get a Garmin at Eagle. But be prepared to be frustrated when you enter locations in transliterated Thai because the spelling used by Garmin often does not correspond with the spelling on street signs, hotels etc. so it can take a while to get it set up.

@ brommers

Agree with everyone, get a Garmin at Eagle. But be prepared to be frustrated when you enter locations in transliterated Thai because the spelling used by Garmin often does not correspond with the spelling on street signs, hotels etc. so it can take a while to get it set up.

It is true that the spelling can be a problem in locating POI. I am afraid this will be still a problem for years to come as the the spelling is not standardized. Anyway it is easier playing with the spelling than decoding Thai fonts :)

Ajarn, is that an older email? The Nuvi 205 has been out for a long time and can be had in the US for under $99

One would assume you could load maps of Thailand onto models that allow you to load maps, thus it might be cheaper to pick em up elsewere and just load maps on em here.

Edited by BlackArtemis

Visited Eagle... helpful but they still seem overpriced and he wasn't willing to negotiate even a little - surprising in Thailand (maybe he's restricted by Garmin). Vascillating between the 205 and wider 205w

205 is special promotion at 9,900 and 205w 14,000

Must be a cheaper place in Chiang Mai?

Ajarn, is that an older email? The Nuvi 205 has been out for a long time and can be had in the US for under $99

One would assume you could load maps of Thailand onto models that allow you to load maps, thus it might be cheaper to pick em up elsewere and just load maps on em here.

Yes, it is an older letter, but that is the price I paid for my 205. American prices are sure to be cheaper than here. It is called business :)

The prices in Thailand are controlled by ESRI, which is the official Garmin distributor and map provider. The Thai map is made by them and if you want to use the official Garmin map, it will be from them :) That's why they have the control over it.

The profits earned by the local distributors are not as high as the "BIG GUYS" :D

Prices are different here and the US for some reasons: one stated above regarding the map, Headquarters are in the US, there is a huge market consuming great quantities, competition (like TomTom or Magellan) ... etc

I don't think it will be possible to find cheaper Garmin devices in Chiang Mai. If you will, be aware about the map.

The nuvi 205 is now in promotion from 12.700 to 9.900,- THB - it is difficult to manipulate discount for the units in promotion.

Also you can buy another brand, but don't compare it later with Garmin. If you want to compare, do it before purchasing :D

As there is an IT exhibition in Chiang Mai coming on 2nd July, I would like to offer all TV members discount 2% on all the Garmin GPS devices at Eagle GPS. If you want to use this discount, please mention "Thai Visa Forums".

To Moderators: if you find the above information about promotion for TV members disturbing or against the rules, please remove it and accept my apologies.

I've installed Garmin XT Software on my PocketPC-Mobile Phone. It has the same map and functions as the Garmin Nuevi devices, but for the same price I got a mobile phone with pocket pc including car holder. I think it's the better choice, because I have it always with me. And can install other useful programs like a Thai dictionary with sound for the Thai words.

Some devices from hTC come bundled with Garmin Mobile XT for less then 15.000 Baht.

Visited Eagle... helpful but they still seem overpriced and he wasn't willing to negotiate even a little - surprising in Thailand (maybe he's restricted by Garmin). Vascillating between the 205 and wider 205w

You can get a brand new Garmin 205W on eBay for 5,000 baht ($147.95 USD) without even trying -- all day, every day.

Two years ago, I was looking to buy a Garmin 60CSx here in CM. The outrageous prices floored me. I found and ordered one from a company (not the one linked above) that I found on eBay. It arrived in 10 days, $25 USD shipping, no customs (your mileage may vary). A savings of close 8,000 baht if I had purchased the same model here.

I then ordered a Thailand map from Rottweiler for $100 USD which includes unlimited lifetime updates on all / any maps he offers.

You can get a brand new Garmin 205W on eBay for 5,000 baht ($147.95 USD) without even trying -- all day, every day.

Two years ago, I was looking to buy a Garmin 60CSx here in CM. The outrageous prices floored me. I found and ordered one from a company (not the one linked above) that I found on eBay. It arrived in 10 days, $25 USD shipping, no customs (your mileage may vary). A savings of close 8,000 baht if I had purchased the same model here.

I then ordered a Thailand map from Rottweiler for $100 USD which includes unlimited lifetime updates on all / any maps he offers.

Not 100% new.. they have been returned to Garmin who does a rebuild . Also only a one year guarantee according to the website, and it has no Thai maps..

I checked - reconditioned units - I dont think the savings is really worth the hassle if something goes wrong but thanks for sharing anyway

I checked - reconditioned units - I dont think the savings is really worth the hassle if something goes wrong but thanks for sharing anyway

Apologies! In my haste to make the post, I missed that important fact. I agree, I wouldn't order a refurbished unit either. I ordered my 60CSx from a company selling new units. Mine was not refurbished.

Still, a BRAND NEW in the box Garmin 205W can be had on eBay for $187.00 USD or about 6,400 baht (+1,200 baht shipping to Thailand).

Edited by Rice_King

Hi,

Dont buy a Garmin, Eagle, Powermap etc. The maps are not good at all; visual as well as the content.

I have one (as good as new: condition 98%) for sale; I return home and want to leave it here. It is one of the best on the market: Mio with big screen (4.3") and the best map of Thailand (Teleatlas 09), Usa or Europe (on seperate SD card). 10.900 or good offer.

More info PM me pls

Hi,

Dont buy a Garmin, Eagle, Powermap etc. The maps are not good at all; visual as well as the content.

I have one (as good as new: condition 98%) for sale; I return home and want to leave it here. It is one of the best on the market: Mio with big screen (4.3") and the best map of Thailand (Teleatlas 09), Usa or Europe (on seperate SD card). 10.900 or good offer.

More info PM me pls

How do you dare!!

Updates: buy a new card From 79 euro.

Powermap: Free

I don't know about Garmin etc.

If your system is SOOOO good why not take it home?

Hi,

More info PM me pls

How do you dare!!

Updates: buy a new card From 79 euro.

Powermap: Free

I don't know about Garmin etc.

If your system is SOOOO good why not take it home?

My dear "cmjantje",

With all respects, but I think you stuck with one GPS-program only.

I tried them all; from Garmin over Powermap and Route 66 to Mapking etc etc, I mean ALL. This over 3 years now. You will get the best visual and routing results for Thailand with recent Teleatlas or Navteq maps. Look f.e where the Holiday Inn is with Powermap.... 5 km away from the right location, right? etc etc.....

The Mio with Teleatlas gives the best visual and routing results, there is no question about that.

Why I not take it home? Simple; when I come back in a few months, I will bring another one haha.

Dont drive too many extra miles with your system my friend. A bad gps-system can be costly.

Cheers

I go with te Mio too (that's what I have) - bought from Lotus Tesco for 7,900B. The main reason I likled it was becuase you can switch to Thai keyboard for street and place names on the fly without changhing the menu or spoken language -really useful as transliterations are a pain to match with the device (took me over ten minutes to get the transliteration right for my own road (tried out several in the shops including Pantip Plazo 3rd floor shop) - using Thai keyboard, its instant).

You need a computer for the manual though as it comes on CD (only a quick start guide for paper instuctions) - you also have to charge it overnight before first use - which manual didn't say (but nice man in shop did - and he was right).

Edited by wolf5370

I go with te Mio too (that's what I have) - bought from Lotus Tesco for 7,900B. The main reason I likled it was becuase you can switch to Thai keyboard for street and place names on the fly without changhing the menu or spoken language -really useful as transliterations are a pain to match with the device (took me over ten minutes to get the transliteration right for my own road (tried out several in the shops including Pantip Plazo 3rd floor shop) - using Thai keyboard, its instant).

You need a computer for the manual though as it comes on CD (only a quick start guide for paper instuctions) - you also have to charge it overnight before first use - which manual didn't say (but nice man in shop did - and he was right).

Just to clarify - The Mio is the brand name? or the map software? or both? size?

Well, maybe something really change lately, but I remember to have a customer not long time ago, who bought different GPS to finally come to our shop and buy Garmin.

I still don't think there is any other company which could beat Garmin in hardware (long years of experience) nor software. I think they have the wides choice. Whenever you go you will find a map for Garmin - can check their website (compare with the others). Also it's much easier to find free maps made by other Garmin users.

If you purchase other brand ask some questions about how to find destination, map updates and maps for other countries.

[edit]

MIO is a brand name

Garmin - both :)

Edited by moris

Well, maybe something really change lately, but I remember to have a customer not long time ago, who bought different GPS to finally come to our shop and buy Garmin.

I still don't think there is any other company which could beat Garmin in hardware (long years of experience) nor software. I think they have the wides choice. Whenever you go you will find a map for Garmin - can check their website (compare with the others). Also it's much easier to find free maps made by other Garmin users.

If you purchase other brand ask some questions about how to find destination, map updates and maps for other countries.

[edit]

MIO is a brand name

Garmin - both ;)

Hi Moris,

If you have a shop and sell Garmin only, I understand. If you know however most brands, I dont understand your reaction.

I bought my first GPS back in Florida in 1982. It was a very heavy Magellan and took half an hour to get a fix. Garmin / Magellan were the leaders at that time. Since then, I study, try and test all different brands and maps. I can tell you; Garmin and Magellan are far behind now, very far. Where are the Garmin "buildings", the "terrain", where are the "lane assist" etc etc , they are still in the previous century. On top, the Garmin re-calcultion is very slow; sometimes you pass 500m before he knows..... The colours and visual aspects are just the wors in the industry.

They have to do something very quick to pickup the others. Look at all the polls; they not in the top 5 anymore and in many polls even not in the top 10. Moris. many leaders of 20/25 years ago not stay leaders forever.

Again, with all tests I did, to me, a GPS with a 4.3" screen (Mio is in the top) and a 08 or 09 Teleatlas or Navteq (iGo) map is the best for Thailand. It is fast, nice to look at and you can rely on it. Things I cannot say about Garmin right now and yes....... Garmin is working very hard on another system to catch up.

Buy a big (4.3"), not a small (3.5") as Wolf5370 did. Pay a bit more to have much more pleasure.

Regards