Thailand Post.

TopDogger

Thai post has on occasion asked for 3-10 baht when delivering international parcels that have come into Thailand. This isn't every time, just on occasion..

It isn't tax or anything like that, just a "required payment" when they drop parcels with reception.

Does anyone else have experience with this? I'm assuming its not a legitimate charge and is nothing short of theft on the postmans part?

Thanks

When my Father use to send me parcels from the UK, for the first 5 Years I always had to pay the Postman 7 Baht,,,, then all of a sudden he has never asked again - not asked for about 2 Years now.

I just use to think it was the Postman's little perk of his job, helps pay for his lunchtime rice....

"International mail processing charge" - or something like that.

Often 7 baht.

International processing charge? Surely there not delivering USPS packages for free and a portion of the fee paid to USPS makes its way to Thailand at some point?

I just use to think it was the Postman's little perk of his job, helps pay for his lunchtime rice....

I'm thinking the same thing, in which case it's theft... I got 4 other packages from the US/UK this month and nothing was charged.

Paid for a door-to-door service for 'household goods' with London Baggage, duty exempt under the rules. Well, no tax to pay but the courier firm on the Thai side hit me with another 4500 Baht in charges and a lot of running around BKK, money transfers to their account, etc. Big courier/logistics firm too. Only 3 tea chest size parcels too.

It was a real pain in the ar$e!

Paid for a door-to-door service for 'household goods' with London Baggage, duty exempt under the rules. Well, no tax to pay but the courier firm on the Thai side hit me with another 4500 Baht in charges and a lot of running around BKK, money transfers to their account, etc. Big courier/logistics firm too. Only 3 tea chest size parcels too.

they tried the same scam on me with a door to door shipment from thailand to uk. I had the items though before their demands started, filed all their demands and threats in the appropriate place. :)

Just ordered a 15 year old cd player from the UK cost £130 delivered !

customs demanded 2,500 baht !

be careful with international deliveries .....

A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine sent me a gift of a Face Compact and some (not expensive) jewellery. The customs wanted 1.800 bt from me, so i refused, and told them to send the items back.

My friend never got those items back.

I was told by a Thai lady, that one day every month there is a shop at the Lamchabang Port selling all sorts of bits and pieces.. if anyone knows anything more about it, can you let me know.

Thanks.

Edited by pattaya_girl

Just ordered a 15 year old cd player from the UK cost £130 delivered !

customs demanded 2,500 baht !

be careful with international deliveries .....

A couple of years ago, a good friend of mine sent me a gift of a Face Compact and some (not expensive) jewellery. The customs wanted 1.800 bt from me, so i refused, and told them to send the items back.

My friend never got those items back.

I was told by a Thai lady, that one day every month there is a shop at the Lamchabang Port selling all sorts of bits and pieces.. if anyone knows anything more about it, can you let me know.

Thanks.

I know a retired vicar from Swansea that ordered frilly knickers on the internet and got charged 2000 Baht by customs. :)

Who's a guessed a retired vicar would be buying kinky stuff? We were in hysterics.

A friend of mine now living in the US got even with Thai Customs by mailing a package of well wrapped dog excrement to a former friend in Bangkok, marking the item 'gift' and 'jewelry' with the value at over $1000.

:D

GENIUS!!! :)

I get a package sent to me from the UK every two months. They never deliver it to my house but I get a pink card informing me to come to the post office to collect the item. I have to pay the office 7 baht each time so it's not a scam from the actual postman as it's the office that gets the 7 baht. Maybe they split it up between them all :)

Seems to be inflation-proof. It has been 7 baht to my house for at least the last 20 years and it is not collected on every international delivery.

If people make a fuss, Thailand Post could react by increasing this fee considerably and then you WILL have something to complain about. Think of it as insurance...

I know a retired vicar from Swansea that ordered frilly knickers on the internet and got charged 2000 Baht by customs. :D

Who's a guessed a retired vicar would be buying kinky stuff? We were in hysterics.

Were they new or used?

:)

I know a retired vicar from Swansea that ordered frilly knickers on the internet and got charged 2000 Baht by customs. :D

Were they new or used?

:)

Not sure. But apparently they were pink and frilly and 'G-stringish', according to an eye witness. (Woman that cleaned the room).

Ya going to name and shame? :)