Don't Eat Raw Or Undercooked Fish In Thailand

Latindancer

Please leave this topic in "General", rather than "Health", as it needs to be viewed by as many people as possible.

I don't wish to be alarmist, but I have just been made aware of the fact that there is a serious public health threat in Thailand which some old-timers may be aware of, but many others will not.

Do not eat eat raw or undercooked fish in Thailand, particularly in the North-East, as there is a serious issue with liver flukes there. If left untreated, you can develop cancer of the bile duct or liver, and even if you have been infected and treated, the risk of cancer is not lessened. And if it turns to cancer, the 5 year survival rate is 0% unless ALL tumors are cut out of bile duct and liver. The fluke is named Opisthorchis viverrini and is endemic in the North-East. In fact it is estimated that up to 50% of the population there is infected, as the people there eat raw/undercooked fish as part of their culture. As snails are also part of the life-cycle, do not eat uncooked water cress either.

If you need further convincing, Google: Opisthorchis viverrini Thailand, or see

http://www.stanford.edu/group/parasites/Pa...hiasis/home.htm

http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/HTML/opisthorchiasis.htm

Edited by Latindancer

Please leave this topic in "General", rather than "Health", as it needs to be viewed by as many people as possible.

I don't wish to be alarmist, but I have just been made aware of the fact that there is a serious public health threat in Thailand which some old-timers may be aware of, but many others will not.

Do not eat eat raw or undercooked fish in Thailand, particularly in the North-East, as there is a serious issue with liver flukes there. If left untreated, you can develop cancer of the bile duct or liver, and even if you have been infected and treated, the risk of cancer is not lessened. And if it turns to cancer, the 5 year survival rate is 0% unless ALL tumors are cut out of bile duct and liver. The fluke is named Opisthorchis viverrini and is endemic in the North-East. In fact it is estimated that up to 50% of the population there is infected, as the people there eat raw/undercooked fish as part of their culture. As snails are also part of the life-cycle, do not eat uncooked water cress either.

If you need further convincing, Google: Opisthorchis viverrini Thailand, or see

http://www.stanford.edu/group/parasites/Pa...hiasis/home.htm

http://www.dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/HTML/opisthorchiasis.htm

Always good to get helpful medical advice, but..........title of this thread should be changed to be more specific to the ailment noted, otherwise it might scare the millions of sushi lovers out there

As a big Sushi lover, my mrs is always on about this so she insists that we get frozen seafood as this kills the worms....

Actually have a big chunk of tuna that i bought in Foodland thawing out in the fridge...

Having said that, I also ate raw oysters on 2 occasions yesterday around Pattaya.

The title is a little misleading for me!

So its safe to eat raw or undercooked fish in other countries except Thailand? :)

I normally give seafood a miss anyway as i believe this is a very common way to catch food poisoning no matter what country.

I hate to cast doubt on what could be a serious issue but, if the mortality rate is 100 % over 5 years as you state and 50% of the population in North-East are already infected coupled with one of the articles being from 1999-2000 then, unless there are a ridiculous number of operations being conducted up here then I would have thought it would be a lot quieter.

Having said that I would appreciate a 'more reasonable' judgement from someone who is medically qualified as to the risks here.

Edited by Orac

I read that a similar parasite was prevalent in 50% of all rice paddy workers all over SE Asia - this particular one

was the root cause of really bad health & edu issues, as it tapped energy resources immensely.

It was spread primarily via human feces irrigating the paddies.

Drink more very cold Chang

BR>Jack

I personally dont touch any fish out of the gulf if Thailand, due to the amount of mercury they contain, before someone starts accusing me of scaremongering, I have seen first hand the amount of mercury that comes out the ground in the Gulf of Thailand, and also proven that Hg levels in Thai nationals is quite high compared to expats living in Thailand due to the amount of fish eaten....

I personally dont touch any fish out of the gulf if Thailand, due to the amount of mercury they contain, before someone starts accusing me of scaremongering, I have seen first hand the amount of mercury that comes out the ground in the Gulf of Thailand, and also proven that Hg levels in Thai nationals is quite high compared to expats living in Thailand due to the amount of fish eaten....

Fish do not live in the ground they live in the sea and water. Maybe you can give us a link to this FACT ?

Otherwise I'm sorry but you are scaremongering! As somebody who spends most days immersed in the Gulf I have to disagree!

Fish do not live in the ground they live in the sea and water. Maybe you can give us a link to this FACT ?

Otherwise I'm sorry but you are scaremongering! As somebody who spends most days immersed in the Gulf I have to disagree!

Few remarks:

This liver fluke is only carried by fresh water fish, not sea and is prevalent in SEA (also Vietnam etc) and it is a serious condition.

Mercury accumulation is only relevant to (predatory) fish highest in the food chain; sharks, tuna, baracuda and even dolphin.

Chula did several studies on mercury in fish around rigs in the Gulf of Thailand and did not find any local (reef) fish with elevated levels.

Mercury surveillance studies on offshore workers in the Gulf of Thailand does not show that baseline mercury levels in Thai nationals are elevated irrespective of the amount of fish consumed or where they lived in Thailand.

It is possible that overexposure of individuals can occur in oil and gas operations as mercury is a wellknown contaminant of crude from the whole of SEA; this is Occupational Exposure, not through diet.

As a big Sushi lover, my mrs is always on about this so she insists that we get frozen seafood as this kills the worms....

Actually have a big chunk of tuna that i bought in Foodland thawing out in the fridge...

Having said that, I also ate raw oysters on 2 occasions yesterday around Pattaya.

no need to freeze tuna only the farmed or river fish is subject to worm infestation. Freeze my salmon but eat my tuna as is, life without sashimi :):D :D

I hate to cast doubt on what could be a serious issue but, if the mortality rate is 100 % over 5 years as you state and 50% of the population in North-East are already infected coupled with one of the articles being from 1999-2000 then, unless there are a ridiculous number of operations being conducted up here then I would have thought it would be a lot quieter.

Having said that I would appreciate a 'more reasonable' judgement from someone who is medically qualified as to the risks here.

Orac, I didn't say this. I said that "even if you have been infected and treated, the risk of cancer is not lessened. And if it turns to cancer, the 5 year survival rate is 0% unless ALL tumors are cut out of bile duct and liver."

I forget what percentage of those infected eventually get cancer. But with such a serious issue, I would think that caution would be appropriate.

If you want the opinions of more qualified people, please google it and/or follow the links.