Mk Restaurants

teddy_bare

Having eaten at many MK's I cannot say I find the food either tasty or inspiring.

A few OK dishes and the rest is boiled to death in the hot pot. Add a secret sauce and bingo, all the Thais I know seem to love it.

Is it just me being cynical and without good taste or has this company managed to convince the Thais this is good scoff.

My family think I am treating them when we go. I just cant wait to finish and get a Swensen Ice cream down my neck.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having eaten at many MK's I cannot say I find the food either tasty or inspiring.

A few OK dishes and the rest is boiled to death in the hot pot. Add a secret sauce and bingo, all the Thais I know seem to love it.

Is it just me being cynical and without good taste or has this company managed to convince the Thais this is good scoff.

My family think I am treating them when we go. I just cant wait to finish and get a Swensen Ice cream down my neck.

I love the duck and crispy pork in the special sauce, but the rest of it I just look at as good date material as the Thai girl has fun making the food for you, but yeah its bland rubbish.

I love the duck and crispy pork in the special sauce, but the rest of it I just look at as good date material as the Thai girl has fun making the food for you, but yeah its bland rubbish.

Try one of the MK Golds. Quality of the meats seems to be a step up.

Hot pot depends on who is doing the cooking and how well they flavor the soup. Otherwise it will taste like bland, boiled crap.

Hate MK. Horribly bland and boring food. I avoid it I can, but sometimes I'm with a group and they just insist on eating there. I generally nibble a bit and then eat again somewhere else immediately after.

Much prefer some of the local moo kata places for cook it yourself style food. Some of them are quite good, really nice marinated meats you can grill up, nice selection of curries, fried rice, etc.

Yuck, cant stand it. I always get a bad stomach after eating there as well....probably from not having the patience and eating partially boiled meat.

And to top it off, the desert selection at MK is horrible. So not even a reward for my good behaviour.

My wife and children love MK as for me i think eating boiled meat is a sacrilege.

So when they want to go there, i just drop them and i go eat proper food somewhere else.

My family is crazy for MK, we have the discount card too. Every time we go some Tesco, we must stop for a MK suki. Wife and son really enjoy the food (they always order much more food they can eat...).

For me? Is a torture. :)

Thank you thank you!!!

I am getting my wife to read this as most seem in agreement, 'MK is pants'. I agree with the cuteness of watching one's date cook for you, wears off when you have to eat the stuff.

The wife has learned a few new words too (sacrilege and crap) so thanks for those too.

I thought it was only me. Thank goodness for Tops selling minced beef and Paul Newman's spaghetti sauce.

I just found and bought a PATAK's Balti in a can. Not as good as a Leeds curry but close.

You are all stark raving mad. MK is the best Thai/Chinese restaurant in the country, maybe the universe.

A) It is the healthiest restaurant food I have ever found. Lots of vegetables, some lean chicken, the brown rice, perfect meal.

:) Its delicious. Dip it all in the sauce loaded with chilli peppers and garlic and lemon juice. Its pure heaven.

C) Did I mention its healthy?

Ya its no heart bursting fat ass making dirty falang food (there is a reason White people are disgustingly fat as a race) but I think its pretty dam_n good. Go eat some proper food? Ya I can just imagine what that entails, one step closer to the grave no doubt.

Hmmm. MK aroi mak ka!

Seems from the replies that Farangs don't like it and Thai people do, luckily, we happen to be in Thailand so I can enjoy it.

Maybe some fatangs don't like it because they end up paying 1000 + Baht and they don't enjoy, Fish and chips is better ?

Fried Egg, Fried Bacon, Fried Chips and Fried slice is health food ? :)

MK is healthier by far.

Maybe i'm wrong that's why Farangs are so slim and healthy looking. :D

You are all stark raving mad. MK is the best Thai/Chinese restaurant in the country, maybe the universe.

A) It is the healthiest restaurant food I have ever found. Lots of vegetables, some lean chicken, the brown rice, perfect meal.

:D Its delicious. Dip it all in the sauce loaded with chilli peppers and garlic and lemon juice. Its pure heaven.

Ya its no heart bursting fat ass making dirty falang food (there is a reason White people are disgustingly fat as a race) but I think its pretty dam_n good. Go eat some proper food? Ya I can just imagine what that entails, one step closer to the grave no doubt.

:)

I don't like it because I prefer going to a real moo kata restaurant, where the food actually has flavor, lots of tasty and spicy marinated meats and a large assortment of extras. Instead of the bland meat boiled in water with tasteless veggies you get at MK, covered in that awful sauce of theirs.

It is healthy, I'll grant that, but it tastes awful.

To call MK a restaurant is an insult to proper restaurants and the talented staff that cook and serve in the good ones.

Boil your own stringy meat and cabbage? No thanks.

Western food doesn't have to be unhealthy, far from it, although by the popularity of turgid fast food in Thailand among the locals and the generally poor standard of Western food available here, including the inability of Thais to cook it, I understand why some posters have got that misinformed impression.

I put it in the same pot as S&P, McDonnalds, Pizzahut etc… It’s convenience food and fills a gap when out shopping, I see it as nothing more than that.

It is healthier than many of the other options and I don’t hate it like some, it’s rarely my first choice but sometimes it makes a suitable change…

:D Its delicious. Dip it all in the sauce loaded with chilli peppers and garlic and lemon juice. Its pure heaven.

Anyway, everyday i'm one step closer to the grave, can do nothing against that MK or not. :)

The difference is that i eat healthy when a stay home, but when i go out for dinner a like to

eat tasty.

And when i talk about proper food, it can be a grill fish or a barbecue squid.

If you enjoy MK, great for you but please,leave me the right not to like it.

Agreed. Order the duck. Let others go wild for the boiled wreck in the middle of the table, keep grabbing those chunks of duck.

...and the crispy port ain't bad. Also, sometimes it is the only place to get dimsum. We found a local restaraunt in Phitsanuloke that do only dimsum so go there more now. Still MK ain't bad.

I eat at Mk 2 or 3 times a week and always get moo dang [bbq red pork] and canna [Chinese broccoli] and the free soup and weak tea. great meal

I am not a great fan of MK so when it is mentioned I always steer things to Fuji which i love and so do most Thais so I rarely eat there.

I just don't like the thing of having to cook my own food.

If i am going to do that i prefer Korean barbecue.

MK i believe does well due to its great deal of marketing and really strives on the fact that it is a family resutrant. All of their adverts are focused on portraying it as a family resturant. In truth they make a great deal of profit beacuse their cost price is low but the sell it at a high price. The real secret of MK is its sauce which tastes well with the noodles as well as its soup. I dont disagree that the food is good but I beleive its not worth it becuase its just raw meat and water. The thai community has really embraced the idea of sitting around a boiling pot of water and eating. The duck and the pork are commendable but again the secret lies in the sauce.