Free Visa Plan Backfires On Thai Honorary Consulates

LivinginKata

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Honorary Thai consulate in Perth Oz are very efficient, they nominally have a 2 day turn around for their service, but if you are polite and ask nicely they will help out. I received my non immigrant business visa in a morning courtesy of their express service. They are a part of a legal firm, so the staff are reasonably secure in their position. Unfortunately the next nearest consulate is Singapore or Sydney (line ball).

I am concerned by the loss of services to the local Thai community that the honorary consulates offer. I believe this may come back to haunt any government that sees to the demise of the honorary consulate. These are the people who vote and influence people who vote.

It would be nice to hear from the folk affected in this, as I thought the issuing of tourist visas was not the main thrust of their business, rather non immigrant visas were the more prominent sector. I believe there are several members here who are involved in honorary consulates.

It seems to me there is madness in plenty of nationalities judging by the posts in this thread. How can making visas free be anything but a good move tourism wise. If there are issues regarding the Honorary consuls then those should be redressed for sure since they do provide a service to the tourist. However that is a different issue to that of the sense of providing free visas.

For my part I think Thailand is in real trouble, not just from the tourist side of things but economically also. Since tourism represents a greater share of GDP than many other countires, and is important to the country it should be given the appropriate priority. Aside from tourists the country also needs (and sorely neglects) it longer term expatriates - this is a political move since Thais generally perceive long stay foreigners with a less than positive attitude and any move to facilitate them is politically unpopular. The opinion that all foreigners are richer than Thais and therefore should only give and not be given anything is unfortunate as it is as misjudged as it is unproductive.

Personally a complete and thorough rethink on everything to do with immigration and long stay foreigners should be made with as open a mind as possible. A realisation that long stay foreigners provide more support and more stable support to the local economy than transient guest must be made and accommodations made for both types. If you are in difficulty you must examine all solutions rather than concentrate on one. Unfortunately many of those in power here are not transparent, nor do they have the interest of the country at heart since personal interests greatly overshadow such altruistic motivations. It is therefore a little difficult to see quite how any open minded thought process and decisions might be made until the house is truly ablaze when personal interests might at last coincide with those of the country's.

Do you really believe that people will come only in thailand because they can have a free visa ?

what is the financial impact of such a measure for the holiday budget :D

What next ? They will give candy at the immigration :)

Excuse my flippancy but they provide candy anyway at immigration

Thailand is infected with the Chinese mafia with links to the military. Patpong and Patong is run by the Chinese mafia funneling money to the PLA, meanwhile destroying morals and lives of innocent Thai through AIDS, sex addiction, dependence and poverty, as they are used as agents to enrich the Chinese for their battle against the West (including Russians). Do not under any circumstances buy anything from Patpong, especially CD's/DVD's, sex services, massage or any fake items. Many Internet cafes are run by the same Chinese mafia in Thailand, and the cafes without proper virus scanners or those turned off should absolutely be avoided, many of them contain the Conficker virus which sends sensitive personal information to China.

More needs to be done to control the Chinese activities by the Thai government. I ask that every person inform their friends and colleagues about it. Beware of cheap 10 baht internet with crappy antivirus, these places could be bypassing antivirus on purpose to collect information for the PLA about you.

In light of this, PLA has destroyed a once beautiful country and people. So much hate and animosity has erupted between Thais and Farang. Chinese mafia are causing this and want Farang to hate Thais. Don't hate the Thais, eradicate and boycott the Chinese mafia businesses in Thailand.

Edited by exexpat

It would be a shame if some of the consulates closed. In Australia they always provided very good service to me, getting my yearly a non-immi O visa for quite a few years. Never mind the silly requirement of having to do those silly visa runs every 90 days. The non-immi 0 visa suits me fine, as I have to rerturn to OZ a couple of times each year. I could easily get the retirement extension, but I will not be arsed about by holier than you Thai Immigration officials at Soi 5 in Jomtien.

I am a self-funded retiree and spend about a million THB per year on living expenses in Thailand. Should the Thai authorities decide to come up with further silly ideas in regard to changing visa regulations, I will just pack up and leave. I have lived in other SE-Asian countries with a lot less uncertainty and a lot less hassles. I will just move on on to one of the countries where I lived previously. It is no problem at all as far as I am concerned, just a little bit of a pain in the arse, having to sell my condo and having to move to a friendlier place.

Actually, the huge increases in medical costs in good hospitals and the difficulties in getting a reasonable health insurance, should be enough reason wanting to leave Thailand.

One good reason is for administration purposes, the Consulates will remain but all visa applications will be carried out by the Thai Embassies, thus maintaining better control over the issuance of visas.

Consulates would forward applications directly to the Embassy.

One good reason is for administration purposes, the Consulates will remain but all visa applications will be carried out by the Thai Embassies, thus maintaining better control over the issuance of visas.

Consulates would forward applications directly to the Embassy.

This is not what will happen in any way whatsoever. Consulates are funded by the visa fees that they collect.

Thailand is infected with the Chinese mafia with links to the military. Patpong and Patong is run by the Chinese mafia funneling money to the PLA, meanwhile destroying morals and lives of innocent Thai through AIDS, sex addiction, dependence and poverty, as they are used as agents to enrich the Chinese for their battle against the West (including Russians). Do not under any circumstances buy anything from Patpong, especially CD's/DVD's, sex services, massage or any fake items. Many Internet cafes are run by the same Chinese mafia in Thailand, and the cafes without proper virus scanners or those turned off should absolutely be avoided, many of them contain the Conficker virus which sends sensitive personal information to China.

More needs to be done to control the Chinese activities by the Thai government. I ask that every person inform their friends and colleagues about it. Beware of cheap 10 baht internet with crappy antivirus, these places could be bypassing antivirus on purpose to collect information for the PLA about you.

In light of this, PLA has destroyed a once beautiful country and people. So much hate and animosity has erupted between Thais and Farang. Chinese mafia are causing this and want Farang to hate Thais. Don't hate the Thais, eradicate and boycott the Chinese mafia businesses in Thailand

[\quote]

Er... right... I can give you the address of the private psychiatric hospital in Bangkok if you like - perhaps your minders can assist you in finding the place...

Simon

In my case it would actually serve me better if they went away since then the DC embassy would then have jurisdiction over my application and they have indicated before that they would be happy to issue me a Non Immigration Multi Type O visa which my local consulate will never do. So I say to hel_l with my local consulate and the arrogant people who work there.

There's more to this story than you're letting on -- you're not confusing the LA Consulate (or NY or Chicago) with an honorary consulate, are you? These MFA consulates are the only folks who jealously guard their jurisdictions -- never the honorary consulates.

Honorary consulates in the States have, reportedly, always been at least as fair as the MFA Consulates and Embassy, and usually more so. Which honorary consulate are you talking about (if what you're saying is true, we need to hip pocket that info to warn future visa seekers)?

And are you sure the Embassy would issue you an O visa, when the Honorary wouldn't? Sounds like another case of O visa getting confused with an O-A visa -- the latter being what's being issued now by both honorary and MFA/Embassy when retirement eligible. Not an O visa.

It would be a shame if some of the consulates closed. In Australia they always provided very good service to me, getting my yearly a non-immi O visa for quite a few years. Never mind the silly requirement of having to do those silly visa runs every 90 days. The non-immi 0 visa suits me fine, as I have to rerturn to OZ a couple of times each year. I could easily get the retirement extension, but I will not be arsed about by holier than you Thai Immigration officials at Soi 5 in Jomtien.

I am a self-funded retiree and spend about a million THB per year on living expenses in Thailand. Should the Thai authorities decide to come up with further silly ideas in regard to changing visa regulations, I will just pack up and leave. I have lived in other SE-Asian countries with a lot less uncertainty and a lot less hassles. I will just move on on to one of the countries where I lived previously. It is no problem at all as far as I am concerned, just a little bit of a pain in the arse, having to sell my condo and having to move to a friendlier place.

Actually, the huge increases in medical costs in good hospitals and the difficulties in getting a reasonable health insurance, should be enough reason wanting to leave Thailand.

As far as issuing visas are concerned in Australia if consulates were closed for visa issuing one would just obtain them from Canberra ACT by mail.

Visas usually take only 5 working days this way.

Consulates do not just carry out the issuing of visas they supply services and advice to Thai nationals in Australia.

See here "Guidelines for Honorary Consuls in Australia"

http://www.dfat.gov.au/protocol/protocol_g...guidelines.html

In light of this, PLA has destroyed a once beautiful country and people. So much hate and animosity has erupted between Thais and Farang. Chinese mafia are causing this and want Farang to hate Thais. Don't hate the Thais, eradicate and boycott the Chinese mafia businesses in Thailand.

While I may not agree with your details, it looks like you and I are both keeping a vigilant eye out re; China. Interestingly, the two main headlines in CNN news today are about the heavy hand of Chinese authorities. One is stomping on unrest in their western provinces. The other is their implicating Aussies (Rio Tinto employees) on espionage charges, which insiders view as trumped up charges. See my byline below to get an idea of where I stand re; China.

Edited by brahmburgers

While I may not agree with your details, it looks like you and I are both keeping a vigilant eye out re; China. Interestingly, the two main headlines in CNN news today are about the heavy hand of Chinese authorities. One is stomping on unrest in their western provinces. The other is their implicating Aussies (Rio Tinto employees) on espionage charges, which insiders view as trumped up charges. See my byline below to get an idea of where I stand re; China.

Setting aside the global view, you just need to dig for the right statistics to prove a strong pro-China bias. Ever looked at a per-nationality breakdown of grants of Permanent Residence status in Thailand? Overwhelmingly Chinese to the tune of 80%+ every year. Indians consistently finish second and by themselves tally more than the rest of the world combined. It's fairly clear that those two groups, who are the largest and oldest immigrant populations in modern Thai history, are gaming the system for their own benefit whether by rigging the quotas or massaging the approval process.

Looking strictly at the Chinese, ever really looked at the insanely disproportionate number of Prime Ministers, other Ministers holding important portfolios, and senior military commanders who come from ethnic Chinese backgrounds? Some Thais will tell you how proud they are they've never been colonized, and I don't have the heart to tell them it's just a matter of definitions...