Can We Change The Song Please?

DJ Pat

I would like to protest that moving this thread to the bottom of the barrell has annoyed me considering some of the drivel threads in other forums.

Maybe you need a break from thaivisa then :D

this one can count as a thread with very important social implications :D:o

Crappy response from the Nazi!

DJ, at least gives us something to talk about!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Have to agree with Hotel California, the Scorpions, the Bee Gees, and especially that Donna, Donna, Donna, Donna song that everyone sings to me. Why do the Thai's think it's romantic? What's so romantic about a cow going to the market?

At least this isn't the same as Bali with Khe Sanh blasting out every 5 minutes.

Have to agree with Hotel California, the Scorpions, the Bee Gees, and especially that Donna, Donna, Donna, Donna song that everyone sings to me.  Why do the Thai's think it's romantic?  What's so romantic about a cow going to the market? 

At least this isn't the same as Bali with Khe Sanh blasting out every 5 minutes.

Never be ashamed of your name or this song.

Donna, Donna is an old Jewish folksong.

There are many stories about terrified Jews singing this song shortly before they went to their deaths in the Natzi run concentration camps during the Second World War.

I'm not ashamed of my name or this song.  I just don't see the romance in a calf on a wagon bound for market. 

But thanks for the info.  I never knew that.

The romance is very sad and poignant.

If you listen to the last verses you see the themes of the song are Freedom and Choice and Subjegation:

Stop complaining said the farmer

Who told you a calf to be

Why can't you have wings to fly with

Like the swallow so proud and free

Calves are easily bound and slaughtered

Never knowing the reason why

But whoever treasure's freedom

Like the swallow has learned to fly

If you relate this to the lack of freedom and the subjegation and slaughter of innocent Jewish men, women and children in the Holocaust - you should see the song has a terrible beauty.

Edited by Thomas_Merton

• 2 weeks later...

Don't play enough Coldplay, best group around by miles, can only listen to their live CD at the Chaing Mai saloon, where they put it on for me..(probably begridgingly as the place sure empties out quickly allowing me free rights to perform solo

Yes I am a miserable Bas#ard, might as well ask for The Smiths, but Coldplay are better. Keith from the "Office shares my views"

What I'd loke banned is anything THAI

Anything by 'The Scorpions' 

Agreed they are awful, I had never heard of them before I came here.

The one I hear all the time which is pissing me off is "pom ow carrot ma faak, paaak me vitamin etc"

The first few times were ok but now it is on everywhere. To make matters worse my daughter has started singing it with the full dance routine.

'One night in Bangkok' was great when it came out but now, having heard it about a million times, I am sick of it.

'Auld lang syne' sung in Thai at all schools near me, and most people have the cheek to say it is a Thai song.

I really used to enjoy Bob Marley before I came to LOS but it's so overplayed now I almost cringe :o . Actually, Bob's music was great but there's more to it than his greatest hits CD

Got sick of "Greatest hits" before I turned 17. Everthing else is first rate. Thats the problem with "Greatest hits" compilations of any artist, they only have the commercial, easy listening songs that the artist released. Personally, my favourite Wailers album is "survival", can I find it here? Can I <deleted>.