Roti Parathas

Sir Burr

If, like me, you love roti parathas with the juice of an Indian style chicken curry to dip them in, you will probably already know of Abduls restaurant in Phuket Town.

As I live in Chalong. it is a fair way to go for breakfast (though when you gotta eat rotis, you gotta eat rotis), I figure there must be a place in Rawai that sells it, as it is a Thai-Muslim speciality. Does anyone know of a place in Rawai where you can get excellent rotis and curry?

Edited by Sir Burr

If, like me, you love roti parathas with the juice of an Indian style chicken curry to dip them in, you will probably already know of Abduls restaurant in Phuket Town.

As I live in Chalong. it is a fair way to go for breakfast (though when you gotta eat rotis, you gotta eat rotis), I figure there must be a place in Rawai that sells it, as it is a Thai-Muslim speciality. Does anyone know of a place in Rawai where you can get excellent rotis and curry?

Have you been to the Indian restaurant about 200 yards before Sai Yuan Road (heading south from Hayaek Chalong to Rawai). It's on the right and has a signpost containing a large red chilli and an arrow. I often get a chicken madras takeaway - 130 baht. Don't know about rotis or parathas though.

Have you been to the Indian restaurant about 200 yards before Sai Yuan Road (heading south from Hayaek Chalong to Rawai). It's on the right and has a signpost containing a large red chilli and an arrow. I often get a chicken madras takeaway - 130 baht. Don't know about rotis or parathas though.

Yes, have been going to that restaurant (for take-aways) for a couple of years now. Try the chicken tikka masala for a change. I have his telephone number if you want. I always call and give him a time for pick-up.

Roti parathas are a light, fluffy, yet crispy pancake that is then dipped in curry and is considered a breakfast dish. It is available in most SE Asian countries and has crossed the cultural barrier as a breakfast. In Singapore at a roti stall, you will see Malays, Chinese and Indians side by side, tucking into their favourite breakfast. Most restaurants will stop serving it at noon, as it is breakfast.

At Abduls, I always have three rotis, a small bowl of the juice of an Indian style chicken curry and a glass of iced tea. Twenty-five baht is the bill, and has been for years. I spend more on gas getting to Phuket Town than the cost of breakfast itself, thus, the search for a closer restaurant.

RDN, I know which Indian restaurant you are talking about. It's a sign with a big bright red chili saying 'Indian Curry'. I don't think they do pratas there.

The closest I get to rotis around Chalong is one little Muslim shop (no sign).

Directions:

- From the Hayeak circle go towards Phuket town

- Before the Parlai seafood/ Phuket zoo junction, stall is on the right side

You will notice that exactly at the junction (right side) there is a little shop that sells fried bananas and kanoms. This muslim shop is maybe 10 metres before that stall.

If I am not mistaken it is directly opposite the hair/ beauty salon, which is beside a second hand books place.

I don't think she serves it with curry (she makes WICKED beef masaman), usually sweet milk or sugar. Accordingly to my coffee-addict friend she makes wicked Cafe Boran (traditional coffee?).

As she has not much customers beef masaman will only be made at your request a day earlier.

However, if the demand is up, she may make the curry for rotis.

Let me know if you want me to rally a few more people to put the curry pressure up :o

Sir Burr, can u give directions to Abduls? I never ventured to Phuket town for breakfast - may give him a try *drools*

Firstly, let me thank you for the directions, I know exactly where you mean. I will give it a go sometime.

OK. How to get to Abdul's.

Starting from the circle near to the wet market in Phuket town:-

Take the road heading to the Phuket Merlin Hotel. At the first set of lights (Talang road) keep going straight. At the second set of lights, turn right into Dibuk road. At the lights, turn right. At the next set of lights there is a Honda dealership in a new, ersatz, sino-portuguese style show-room on the right-hand side, turn right here into Talang road and park immediately.

Abdul's is the first restaurant on the left-hand side starting from the lights. It;s about the ninth or so shop. Beware, two shops further along from Abdul's is another muslim restaurant that sells rotis. Avoid this one as the rotis are small and the curry is not up to par. It is run by muslim ladies in full ninja robes.

Abdul's family are more into jeans and t-shirts.

Make sure you ask for the rotis not to have an egg added (they will probably ask you anyway). Ask for "roti tamada". About three is just right if you are hungry, two if you just want a snack.

They also do murtabak!

Another good Indian in Phuket Town is the Karna Lounge, owned by a Singapore Indian. The food is pretty good, the ambiance is nice and the wine is expensive.

It is next door to Koh Jok See (spelling?)

Also, if you go to Sakdeedaj Rd (Rd to Panwa), you will find a great little Muslim shop that sells the best Masaman on the Island as well as Roti and many malaysian dishes (Thai as well). From Chaofa Rd turn into Sakdeedaj Rd and drive about 3 kms until you get to the "roman mansions" (Kulahat Thanee), it is just before you enter this small estate. Next door on the other side of the restaurant is a new car cleaning place. The place is only open for breakfast and lunch, so dont go afternoon as it will be shut. They also make great mataba.

Yes, have been going to that restaurant (for take-aways) for a couple of years now. Try the chicken tikka masala for a change. .....

:D I've had the masala, but the madras just hits the spot for me!

...I have his telephone number if you want. I always call and give him a time for pick-up.....

:o:D:D I was going to say the same thing!! His number's in my mobile too! 20 to 30 minutes is usually the time he needs, but a few weeks ago he was "shut" because 20 or 30 ladies were having a "curry night" and he couldn't do any more!

He also tells me he's thinking or planning to move back to bkk, but I don't know how firm his plans are. It'll be a pity if he does go. :D

.....OK. How to get to Abdul's.

Take the road heading to the Phuket Merlin Hotel. At the first set of lights (Talang road) keep going straight. At the second set of lights, turn right into Dibuk road. At the lights, turn right. At the next set of lights there is a Honda dealership in a new, ersatz, sino-portuguese style show-room on the right-hand side, turn right here into Talang road and park immediately.

Abdul's is the first restaurant on the left-hand side starting from the lights. It;s about the ninth or so shop. ....

Somewhere here?..... :o

abduls2a2oj.jpg

.....OK. How to get to Abdul's.

Abdul's is the first restaurant on the left-hand side starting from the lights. It;s about the ninth or so shop. ....

Somewhere here?..... :o

abduls2a2oj.jpg

RDN,

On your map, there is a green spot labeled "Top Charoen Optical. It is on Talang road. Abduls will be right next to the green spot on the left-hand side. Go. You won't be disappointed.

Update:

Just drove past little Muslim eating shop - they do have signs put up now. On top it's green colour with white/yellow Thai words, and you can see the moon-star sign on 'em. I also vaguely see the words 'traditional coffee'.

Good luck - let me know when she starts serving curries with her rotis for breakfast!

Update:

Just drove past little Muslim eating shop - they do have signs put up now. On top it's green colour with white/yellow Thai words, and you can see the moon-star sign on 'em. I also vaguely see the words 'traditional coffee'.

Good luck - let me know when she starts serving curries with her rotis for breakfast!

Am going to go for breakfast there tomorrow morning. If there is one thing that I love, even above rotis and curry, its coffee! Have got to go there just to check out this "traditional coffee".

....On your map, there is a green spot labelled "Top Charoen Optical. It is on Talang road. Abduls will be right next to the green spot on the left-hand side. Go. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the extra detail! I tried to find the place Tornado described on my PC map software but couldn't, so Torny if you can supply a bit more detail - road names or other landmarks - I'll try to find it on the map and post it here. Thanks if you can :o

He also tells me he's thinking or planning to move back to bkk, but I don't know how firm his plans are. It'll be a pity if he does go. :o

Have just bought some chicken madras with chapatis at the Indian restaurant in Rawai. He says he has had a look at Bangkok rents, doesn't like what he saw, so, he is staying in Phuket. Yippeeee!

He also tells me he's thinking or planning to move back to bkk, but I don't know how firm his plans are. It'll be a pity if he does go. :D

Have just bought some chicken madras with chapatis at the Indian restaurant in Rawai. He says he has had a look at Bangkok rents, doesn't like what he saw, so, he is staying in Phuket. Yippeeee!

:o:D:D Excellent news! I had a madras takeaway tonight too! Scoffed it in about 5 minutes! I fancy another one now :D

The closest I get to rotis around Chalong is one little Muslim shop (no sign).

Directions:

- From the Hayeak circle go towards Phuket town

- Before the Parlai seafood/ Phuket zoo junction, stall is on the right side

You will notice that exactly at the junction (right side) there is a little shop that sells fried bananas and kanoms. This muslim shop is maybe 10 metres before that stall.

If I am not mistaken it is directly opposite the hair/ beauty salon, which is beside a second hand books place.

I don't think she serves it with curry (she makes WICKED beef masaman), usually sweet milk or sugar. Accordingly to my coffee-addict friend she makes wicked Cafe Boran (traditional coffee?).

As she has not much customers beef masaman will only be made at your request a day earlier.

However, if the demand is up, she may make the curry for rotis.

Let me know if you want me to rally a few more people to put the curry pressure up :o

Have just got back from this restaurant after sampling the coffee which was very good. The lady who runs the place is very pleasant and friendly and informs me that she only makes rotis in the evenings, but not every evening. She also told me that she can make beef or chicken masaman and she assures me that the juice served with rotis is delicious, though she doesn't make that every evening either. Will have to go back one evening to find out. Unfortunately, it will have to be in six weeks time as I'm going back offshore on Monday.

Lady in Red - Definitely think curry pressure should be applied. Day old curry is much better than freshly made. I wonder if she knows this?

Lady in Red

Great news regarding the muslim lady at Chalong. I will certainly be asking her to increase roti and curry production when I get back.

Yes, do try Abdul's during the weekend. About 11:00 AM is best. If you go too early, the chicken curry won't be ready, by 01:00 PM there is a chance that they will have sold out of rotis.

• 4 months later...

Hi Sir Burr,

just came across your post. Since you live in Chalong you don't need to go into town to have your roti. There's one fantastic roti place on Choafa Road. It's a few doors down from the Siam Commercial bank, on your way into town (before you turn right), opp some Mini-mart, Gold & curtain shops. It's open real early and closes around 10 am. best Geang Pet (mutton Curry) I've ever tasted this side of SEAsia including Singapore.

Of course there's the Roti lady (rarely smiles) that hangs out on Nai Harn in the afternoons (next to a coconut /sugarcane drink seller) and Rawai beach @ nights. She doesn't have curries but good sweet ones.

Have a good roti breakky mate!

Another good Indian in Phuket Town is the Karna Lounge, owned by a Singapore Indian. The food is pretty good, the ambiance is nice and the wine is expensive.

Also, if you go to Sakdeedaj Rd (Rd to Panwa), you will find a great little Muslim shop that sells the best Masaman on the Island as well as Roti and many malaysian dishes (Thai as well). From Chaofa Rd turn into Sakdeedaj Rd and drive about 3 kms until you get to the "roman mansions" (Kulahat Thanee), it is just before you enter this small estate. Next door on the other side of the restaurant is a new car cleaning place. The place is only open for breakfast and lunch, so dont go afternoon as it will be shut. They also make great mataba.

Khanasutra NOT Khana Lounge.... you definitely have your night shenanigans mixed up dearest

Hi Sir Burr,

just came across your post. Since you live in Chalong you don't need to go into town to have your roti. There's one fantastic roti place on Choafa Road. It's a few doors down from the Siam Commercial bank, on your way into town (before you turn right), opp some Mini-mart, Gold & curtain shops. It's open real early and closes around 10 am. best Geang Pet (mutton Curry) I've ever tasted this side of SEAsia including Singapore.

Of course there's the Roti lady (rarely smiles) that hangs out on Nai Harn in the afternoons (next to a coconut /sugarcane drink seller) and Rawai beach @ nights. She doesn't have curries but good sweet ones.

Hello Sindu,

Have been aware of the other place you describe on the Chao Fah road for some time now. A number of people have told me where it was, but, I could never find it.

Now that you have supplied such detailed directions, I will certainly go there within the next few days. It's a pity it closes so early.

Have you ever eaten at Abdul's? The good thing there, is that they sell rotis until they run out of that day's batch. This is usually between 11:30 to 13:00.

Anyway, thanks for the directions. Will post again after I have sampled their wares.

couple of good roti places near dons cafe ..not much to look at but great rotis!!!and cheap.....if u go past dons on your right going towards chalong then it will be a little cafe /res at the next bend just after the road that cuts through to market and thai boxing training place!!and another on left!!

Hi Sir Burr,

To all roti breakfast fans:-

Have just got back from the restaurant mentioned by Sindhu.

Wow. Busy restaurant, lots of customers and the staff are run off their feet.

OK, I ordered my usual three rotis with chicken curry juice and an iced tea so that I could make a direct comparison with Abdul's.

First the roti. Abdul's wins here. His rotis are lighter, crisper and more fluffy. Score one to Abduls.

Second, the curry. This restaurant wins hands down. The curry was much better than Abdul's. Score one to new restaurant.

Thirdly, the iced tea. Identical. A draw.

Fourthly, price. Abdul's is 25 baht whilst the new restaurant was 30 baht. Score another to Abdul's.

Conclusion. This restaurant is well worth going to as the curries are excellent. The rotis were too. I think I will probably keep going to Abdul's because it's not often that I am up early enough to get to Phuket Town before ten in the morning. If I do get up early, I will certainly be visiting this restaurant again.

Next mission will be to check out the roti stalls mentioned in Rawai, though, I have a feeling that these will turn out to be the sweet rotis and not the roti/curry combination.

Edited by Sir Burr

• 8 months later...

Khanasutra NOT Khana Lounge.... you definitely have your night shenanigans mixed up dearest

Thanx khall64au

Not just that but the owner is from HongKong NOT Singapore, I wish people would do a little

research before they post.

ps Khanasutra is having its 3rd Anniversarry Party on the 23rd of April.

FREE Curry Buffet.

pps The Wine is not expensive.

• 4 years later...