Tourist Population Swells With Injection Of American Seamen

george

Tourist population swells with injection of American seamen

USS New Orleans in Phuket

phuket-First-port-of-call-US-Military-personel-change-their-dollars-to-baht-before-venturing-onto-the-island-1-WwLXHrk.jpg

First port of call: US Military personel change their

dollars to baht before venturing onto the island.

phuket-The-massive-208-meter-stealth-ship-the-USS-New-Orleans-docked-in-Phuket-On-radar-screens-the-ship-only-appears-as-a-50-meter-vessel-4-BTNRfKV.jpg

The massive 208-meter stealth ship the USS New Orleans

docked in Phuket. On radar screens, the ship only appears as

a 50-meter vessel.

PHUKET: -- The unprecedented arrival in Phuket of five US Navy ships at the same time has given a boost to the island’s tourism industry and local economy with about 5,700 US sailors and marines enjoying R&R on Phuket over the next few days.

The USS Boxer has returned to Phuket while on an extended tour of duty that will have kept the 2,982 crew members away from home for nine months. The Boxer is joined by the USS Comstock with a crew of 857; the USS Gridley destroyer with a crew of 380; the USS Thatch guided missile destroyer with a crew of 217 and the massive 208-meter stealth ship the USS New Orleans amphibious transport vessel with just over 1,000 crew members, about 10% of whom are female officers.

Benefiting greatly from the steady stream of crew members venturing onto Phuket island are numerous taxi and mini-van operators waiting dockside to take visitors to entertainment areas such as Patong. According to one of the crew members who spoke with the Gazette, taxi drivers are charging an extortionate 2,000 baht per trip – about 1,400 baht more than the price local expats would consider a reasonable fare.

Food and souvenir vendors near the dock at the deep sea port are also charging high prices for their wares. Small bottles of water that usually sell for about ten baht each in convenience stores are sold on the dockside for 20 baht each.

USS New Orleans Commander Scott Davies said it was the ship’s first visit to Phuket. Mr Davies explained that the USS New Orleans has expanded medical capabilities and larger flight decks specifically designed for humanitarian missions and that the ship’s crew are well practiced in such scenarios from practice drills in the US.

When asked why Phuket was chosen as a port of call for all five ships, Mr Davies explained that Phuket was the destination of choice among crew members due to the island’s diverse options in entertainment. That sentiment was confirmed by other crew members who said that they always receive a warm welcome from the locals in Phuket.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-06-26

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hope the sea men are careful where they inject their semen, or we might see men drowning with their feet in cemen(t).

One downside, Americans are compulsary tippers, so no one should be surprised when workers at Phuket tourist venues get to expecting tips from all farang. It could get as bad as the States where, if you don't tip generously, you're treated like dirt by staff members - who feel genuinely jilted. Largely for such reasons, Americans tip automatically, with little concern for quality of service. They all know exactly who is supposed to get tipped (waitresses, valets, girls for hire, cabs, and such) - whereas the vast majority of service workers don't have a hope of getting tips (janitors, street sweepers, chimney sweeps, carpenters, night watchmen, etc.)

A young woman in New York was so depressed that she decided to end her life by throwing herself into the ocean. She went down to the docks and was about to leap into the frigid water when a handsome young sailor saw her tottering on the edge of the pier, crying. He took pity on her and said, "Look, you have so much to live for. I'm off to Europe in the morning, and if you like, I can stow you away on my ship. I'll take good care of you and bring you food every day." Moving closer, he slipped his arm around her shoulder and added, "I'll keep you happy, and you'll keep me happy."

The girl nodded yes. After all, what did she have to lose? Perhaps a fresh start in Europe would give her life new meaning.

That night, the sailor brought her aboard and hid her in a lifeboat. From then on, every night he brought her three sandwiches and a piece of fruit, and they made passionate love until dawn. Three weeks later, during a routine inspection, she was discovered by the captain.

"What are you doing here?" the captain asked.

"I have an arrangement with one of the sailors," she explained. "I get food and a trip to Europe, and he's screwing me."

"He certainly is," the captain said. "This is the Staten Island Ferry."

classic title.

but i have to say, when i lived in Phuket, the injection of seamen was always a welcome sight. very easy on the eyes, and usually such gentlemen too. always made a change from the crusties.

A large amount of non-semen Marines are present in these Phuket Gazette numbers.

Also, it's a misnomer to refer to these embarked Marines as "crew members" as they are not.

The USS Boxer has returned to Phuket while on an extended tour of duty that will have kept the 2,982 crew members away from home for nine months.

USS Boxer - amphibious assault ship

Complement: 73 officers, 1,009 enlisted

Troops: 1,894 Marines

The Boxer is joined by the USS Comstock with a crew of 857

USS Comstock - dock landing ship

Complement: 30 officers, 327 enlisted

Troops: 500 Marines

the USS New Orleans amphibious transport vessel with just over 1,000 crew members

USS New Orleans

Complement: 80 officers, 638 enlisted

the rest of the "over 1,000" presumably embarked Marines

Edited by sriracha john

Benefiting greatly from the steady stream of crew members venturing onto Phuket island are numerous taxi and mini-van operators waiting dockside to take visitors to entertainment areas such as Patong. According to one of the crew members who spoke with the Gazette, taxi drivers are charging an extortionate 2,000 baht per trip – about 1,400 baht more than the price local expats would consider a reasonable fare.

So typical. What a bunch of :) they are down there.