Getting Tourist Visa For Us Citizen In China

Hello all :o

I will be teaching English in China this spring, and will be traveling to Thailand at the beginning of July to teach English for 2 months. I was told by the volunteer organization to apply for a tourist visa, which should last me the entire time I'm in Thailand (though I may apply for an extension if I decide to stay a bit longer to do some sightseeing). However, I can't apply for the visa here in the US, because they are only valid for 90 days, and I will be in China for over 90 days. Therefore, it seems like I will have to apply for the visa in China. I've considered doing visa runs, but it seems like a big inconvenience to me.

So where would you all recommend I get the visa in China? I will be staying not too far from Beijing (if you consider a 10+ hour train ride not far!), so I could get one there towards the end of my stay. Or, I can get one in Hong Kong, as that's where I will be flying to Thailand from. Would Hong Kong be any easier to get one from? Also, how long should it take to get one? I will be in HK for 4 days/3 nights, so hopefully that's enough time to get the visa. Thanks!

You can not work (with or without pay) on a tourist visa.

You only mention two months so that would only require on border crossing without a tourist visa but you did not say how much longer the tourist part might involve, or if you have return ticket/reservations, so a visa in either Beijing or Hong Kong should probably not take more than about 24 hours to obtain.

Or, I can get one in Hong Kong, as that's where I will be flying to Thailand from.  Would Hong Kong be any easier to get one from?  Also, how long should it take to get one?  I will be in HK for 4 days/3 nights, so hopefully that's enough time to get the visa.  Thanks!

You can get a China Visa in HK on same day service. Apply a.m. pick it up p.m. from China Travel Services - in TST and Wan Chai.

You can get a China Visa in HK on same day service. Apply a.m. pick it up p.m. from China Travel Services - in TST and Wan Chai.

Pnu, I think he got a visa for China but wants one for Thailand.

Would be Consular section in the RT Embassy, Beijing:

http://203.150.20.1/rtebej/menu3.htm

or avoid the 10 hours train ride and do it in Hongkong:

http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/2About_Ro...-General_HK.htm

HKG consulate is not known for being specially friendly, but for a straight tourist visa, I see no problem. They want to see your entry chop confirming you are in the SAR.

1 working day shold be sufficient. Go in the morning.

Hello all :o

I will be teaching English in China this spring, and will be traveling to Thailand at the beginning of July to teach English for 2 months.  I was told by the volunteer organization to apply for a tourist visa, which should last me the entire time I'm in Thailand

Just to reiterate lopburi's comments.... you can not work as a teacher, even as a volunteer, without a work permit.... which you can not get with a tourist visa.