After Midnight

carlthailand

Would you like a place to go after the bars close?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just interested to know as I have some very good legal ideas about operating long hours. Not going to be a pick up place but more somewhere for expats and friends to go after the bars close. Looking for some feedback only at this stage. Don't really want tourists as such.

Edited by carlthailand

O.K maybe not clear.

I live here in BKK and for one have a partner and 2 have expat friends here. Sure, I can go to places but when the bars closes my friends and I don't always just want to go home. We would like to carry on in our happy state. How cool to have a place to drink, play pool and converse. Hopefully, with like minded people. A place that has good djs and some chill out areas too.

Hopefully, this makes more sense.

Coming from Oz we don't usually go out until 11pm and well 4am (read next night for a big night out :-))) ) was a standard time to go home.

Am interested in setting something up here that will work and be within the boundries of the law.

Just putting out feelers at mo.

Cheers

Carl

a.k.a Nomad

Carl, you are on the right track. There are many "night people" still here in BKK looking for some place to hang out until the sun comes up.

I've only been here for 5 months and I'm pretty bored already as I stay up all night, sleep all day and have no where to go when I am wide awake.

Can't imagine a large city like this closes so early. I am from New York City, it never closes!

I worry about the toxin though. Be carful. I am also going to rent a large house or apartment and try to turn it into a kind of place you are thinking about.

Somebody has to do something.

Just interested to know as I have some very good legal ideas about operating long hours.

Such as?

Correct me if i am wrong but the consumption of alcohol isn't illegel only the sale of such at certain times.

So why not set up a small BYO bar with music and pool tables. Or people could have a pre purchased bottle behind the counter. You are not selling it to them only giving them what they have previously bought.

But then the tricky part. How to make money. You could have regular alcohol and drink sales during legal times and then when curfew starts only sell ice and coke/soda.

Just a few thoughts. Good Luck

Its an interesting concept of opening up an after hours place but I think once word got round you'd not only get interest from the expats but the rozzers. I reckon the MIB would look askance at anything like this and either extract large amounts of tea money or just hassle you into closure. This is the sort of thing only a Thai bigwig would get away (if he was in with the PM) with if you ask me.

I'm afraid the only after hours answer for now is either to take it in turns to drink at each others places or out on the streets in Sukhumwit.

I rarely get back before 6-7am in a night out in Bangkok anyway, theres a few places to still go play pool and have a drink after hours, just ask around.

I think any ideas you have even if you think you have the law on your side will fail, as the Police will shut you down anyway, and no amount of legal loopholes will save you from the police especially being farang and with very few contacts here (I assume).

But maybe you have some trick up your sleeve, let's hear it.

What a load of pie in the sky. Listen if well established bar owners (Thai at that) cannot get around this early closing game, what chance does some dumb fresh of the boat farang have ?  :D

Some dumb fresh of a boat Farang. Mmmm :o

You don't know me then.

Some of you think cause you been here longer you know ohhh soooo much. You have no idea of my background and I do take offence with a smile to what you say. :D

At least I have not resigned myself to a dull life like some and honestly believe there are ways to have this work. You don't break rules you work within them to your advantage. :D

If you read the poll all I was doing was putting feelers out getting an idea if there was a need. Thats all

Nomad

What a load of pie in the sky. Listen if well established bar owners (Thai at that) cannot get around this early closing game, what chance does some dumb fresh of the boat farang have ?  :D

Some dumb fresh of a boat Farang. Mmmm :o

You don't know me then.

Some of you think cause you been here longer you know ohhh soooo much. You have no idea of my background and I do take offence with a smile to what you say. :D

At least I have not resigned myself to a dull life like some and honestly believe there are ways to have this work. You don't break rules you work within them to your advantage. :D

If you read the poll all I was doing was putting feelers out getting an idea if there was a need. Thats all

Nomad

I think you've got a great idea there Carl! My wife and I have often discussed this from a similar angle, hoping there were a few more like minded people in BKK.

Perhaps a couple of people are getting the wrong impression here though – I agree (even with my limited knowledge of the closing times etc.), that running somewhere that served alcohol might be difficult, but there has to be ways around it surely?

Even if alcohol wasn’t served, would it not be possible to run some type of other establishment into the early hours? A few Pool tables, decent music and good atmosphere would go a long way to simply “continuing” a night out, and maybe BYO or something similar could work as a loophole?

Either way though, as said above, great idea Carl!

Maybe it would be nicer if some people showed a bit of encouragement for his enthusiasm, rather than flaming and bagging?

Rik.

With the present climate in Thailand (and more so Bangkok) regarding late night drinking *(make that anything to do with alchahol ) you could not have picked a worse time to even think about a late venue, let alone getting away with it. (legal or not) When the law came in for closing at 2pm many people then (including Thai's) thought thet had sussed an easy way around it by selling (food) rice porridge as well as drinks. Never seen that idea take off. :o

The guy thats running the show again for the next four years will no doubt make this even harder for any hair brained schemes to try and surface.

Your passion for this idea though, reminds me of that king Canute that sat on the shore trying to command the waves to stop. :D

I rarely get back before 6-7am in a night out in Bangkok anyway, theres a few places to still go play pool and have a drink after hours, just ask around.

Exactly !!!

Just go in a bar with a pool, and at the closing time ask one of the girls where you can go to continue to play, and you will discover places just like the one you want to create (pool tables, music and ... alcool).

Edited by yeti

With the present climate in Thailand (and more so Bangkok) regarding late night drinking *(make that anything to do with alchahol ) you could not have picked a worse time to even think about a late venue, let alone getting away with it. (legal or not) When the law came in for closing at 2pm many people then (including Thai's) thought thet had sussed an easy way around it by selling (food) rice porridge as well as drinks. Never seen that idea take off. :o

The guy thats running the show again for the next four years will no doubt make this even harder for any hair brained schemes to try and surface.

Your passion for this idea though, reminds me of that king Canute that sat on the shore trying to command the waves to stop. :D

Your constant down treading and whinging reminds me of someone who works for the tourist police. :D

Or perhaps someone who has just given up on life in general. Should we just pull the plug doctor. His life is over. :D:D:D

Nomad

carlthailand..Bangkok is full of farang dreamers. You i'm afraid are just one more.

Arhhh, its better to be a dreamer than to have given up on life.

At least it gives me something to do. Of course there is also the we'll see but hey if you look at the topic it poll thats all. Can't help it if peeps (read you) read more into it.

There is no point taking it too far if there isn't support. Right. Mmmm I thought so.

Anyway, enough of that its interupting my dreaming. LOL

:o

Nomad