O-a Visa(retirement) A Breeze!..but

My O-A Visa was issued 14 Oct. 2003, "good for multiple journey (s)" cost was US$125.

Went to Singapore 23 Sept. 2004 and returned 26 Sept. 2004. Admitted

Until 25 Sept. 2005.

I've never had a re-entry permit.

Redwood,

I assume Singapore was your last trip out of Thailand. And now your multi-entry O-A visa has expired (as of 13 Oct 2004). So I would assume you're out of re-entry bullets (assuming some semblance of the rules, ad hoc as they are here, are being adhered to).

Have you applied yet for a re-entry permit from Thai Immigration? If so, did they merely grant you one until 24 (or is it 25) Sept 2005 with no questions or scratched heads?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My O-A Visa was issued 14 Oct. 2003, "good for multiple journey (s)"  cost was US$125.

Entered Thailand 25 Oct. 2003 and Admitted Until 24 Oct. 2004.

Went to Cambodia 5 Feb. 2004 and returned 17 Feb. 2004.  Admitted Until

17 Feb. 2005.

Went to Singapore 23 Sept. 2004 and returned 26 Sept. 2004.  Admitted

Until 25 Sept. 2005.

-redwood

Fascinating! Please let us know what happens the next time you leave and come back! :D I wonder how long you can keep doing this... :o

Edit: JimGant posted while I was typing - so "Has your visa expired? Or can you keep on leaving and returning?"

Edited by RDN

So you guys with multiple Non O-A's basically get 2 years without showing any proof of income or savings, and without any need for a re-entry permit.

Who said that Thailand's immigration rules was hard?

Jeeeezus! :o

George,my multi OA (retirement)

was issued only after I supplied BOTH my proof of cash savings(more than $20K balance) and my pension statement of more than $1,600/month.

As to the "multiple entry" issue,I dont believe I was cheated there either.(See Redwood and Dutch) In fact I was shown the document provided to the Consul by the Thai Embassy indeed verifying that the $125 will grant "multiple journeys"

for the life of the visa.Multiple JOURNEYS" is exactly what it states on my visa,and I dont think I will need any additional reentry permits until I eventually need to extend this visa for an additional year,at which time I also will have to have

my bank balance in my Thai bank acct. and will probably get my pension verified again at the U.S. embassy in BKK as well.

But my thinking was that upon entering Thailand for the 2nd time(in my case it will be about 4 or 5 months after my initial entry sometime in April)

I would only be "admitted until" my OA expiration date(Feb.16,2006) NOT another 365 days as Redwood was(Twice!)

Also ,my apologies to RDN for confusing his original OA"long stay" with an initial"retirement" OA.they're obviously not the same.

My O-A Visa was issued 14 Oct. 2003, "good for multiple journey (s)" cost was US$125.

Until 25 Sept. 2005.

Redwood,I would just like to add that for all intents and purposes you DID have a re-entry permit,this is what we paid the extra $75 for..

that's what the "multiple journey"

feature is all about with the OA we applied for. This,to my thinking, is comparable to us also only having to show our savings (for now) at our local financial institution as opposed to having to have it in our Thai bank accts. Of course,this all changes once we must go and apply for the yr. extension in Thailand.. when Thai bank accts. must be shown and ,if desired,re-entry permits obtained.

Also,I would like to say that a least in my case, that obtaining the additional docs. required(medical/police certs.) were

no hassle at all(I had to get an additional Xray for the medical,thats it) 5 bucks at the local sheriff's office (15 minutes time) I was on my way...

Admittedly,it was a real blessing having the Thai consul right here at home....that said,I feel much better

in going this OA route now and having this all behind me rather than having to extend either a standard O (which ,by the way, I was told in no uncertain terms I DID NOT qualify for) or convert a tourist visa in LOS.....

...my apologies to RDN for confusing his original OA"long stay" with an initial"retirement" OA.they're obviously not the same.

No need to apologise, harpman, I'm just intrigued that this visa that you have exists!

.... feel much better  in going this OA route now and having this all behind me rather than having to extend either a standard O ....  or convert a tourist visa in LOS.....

That's the same reason I went the O-A route, but lots of people go the other route for the reasons of less paper work and no (?) criminal record check.

I guess the lesson here is that, as with many bureaucratic procedures around the world, getting a Thai retirement visa is a crap shoot, and even the experts in a specialized forum like this one can't tell you with any certainty just what rules will be followed at any particular place at any specific point in time. It's probably best to just follow the instructions you're given by the person with whom you are dealing.

Harpman88 got his with a single, half hour visit to the New Orleans consulate. Mine took nearly a month with the Houston consulate which is only a few hundred miles away. Clearly, each consulate used different procedures to reach the identical result.

Curiously, and according to George, each charged too much and issued inappropriate multiple entry visas.

Is it any wonder that first-timers are confused?

I'm a newbie,and boy am i confused :o .

there seems to be so many conflicting answers to the same

question.

hopefully before i try out the so called retirement visa i'll have

worked it out. :D .

regards Steve

I guess the lesson here is that, as with many bureaucratic procedures around the world, getting a Thai retirement visa is a crap shoot, and even the experts in a specialized forum like this one can't tell you with any certainty just what rules will be followed at any particular place at any specific point in time. It's probably best to just follow the instructions you're given by the person with whom you are dealing.

Harpman88 got his with a single, half hour visit to the New Orleans consulate. Mine took nearly a month with the Houston consulate which is only a few hundred miles away. Clearly, each consulate used different procedures to reach the identical result.

Curiously, and according to George, each charged too much and issued inappropriate multiple entry visas.

Is it any wonder that first-timers are confused?

I'm a newbie,and boy am i confused :o .

there seems to be so many conflicting answers to the same

question.

hopefully before i try out the so called retirement visa i'll have

worked it out. :D .

regards Steve

The problem comes from different approaches and requirements at different consulates.

The problem comes from different approaches and requirements at different consulates.

That doesn't explain the problematic difference of opinion as to whether or not the "multiple" entry O-A requires a re-entry permit.

Anecdotal experience indicates that it does not; wise George's assertions to the contrary not withstanding.

I guess the surest course is to apply for one and see if you're told you don't need it. Of course, since there is a fee involved you'll definitely need it :o

But my thinking was that upon entering Thailand for the 2nd time(in my case it will be about 4 or 5 months after my initial entry sometime in April)

I would only be "admitted until" my OA expiration date(Feb.16,2006) NOT another 365 days as Redwood was(Twice!)

Harpman,

If you look at the O-A as just another variation of a 'normal' Multi Entry NonImmigrant Visa, it would seem you could re-enter Thailand one day before its expiration and get an 'admitted until' stamp having nothing to do with your visa's expiration, which is per usual. The Immigration guys that Redwood have experienced were apparently briefed to break-out the 365-day stamp whenever they see an "A" on the visa - which is sure better than getting a 90-day stamp,which apparently is what happened in the initial days of O-A visas.

But since the O-A is just another way of getting an extension of stay based on retirement, it would seem your 365-day clock starts ticking the first time you enter Thailand on your O-A. This identical timeframe would occur had you entered on an 'O,' and then had the extension done at Immigration. So, it would seem that, yes, you can re-enter Thailand as long as your visa is valid. But it would also seem that the original 'admitted until' date would stay constant......

But since there's nothing logical about any of this, I agree with MG about getting a read: I'd hate to be the first person to be denied re-entry, even with a valid multiple entry visa, because of mass confusion.

Besides, rumor has it that all O-A's that were obtained with non notarized paperwork will be cancelled :o

I'm with Stevie - I doubt that a more well-informed bunch of expats exists in Thailand, than this group right here on this forum. But you gentlemen surely do appear to contradict one another right and left. At best, it's extremely confusing (primarily because TIT).

This is the first day I've mentioned the idea of getting a retirement visa, but Ajarn's already given me a good enough reason not to pursue it. Since my trips home only last about 26 days, I never have time to apply, make a mistake, correct it, and return to LOS. So I'll just keep doing what's been working so far. I'm still accustomed to living in a country where you could figure out what the law was, and how it was administered. Here, there's no way. I love Thailand and want to stay indefinitely, but have given up most hopes of ever being fully legal.

Thanks, guys.

You're not the only one in that confused state, Blondie.

The one thing I absolutely know for sure about the O-A is that you don't have to pay customs duties on household stuff shipped over when you make the final move.

Right, George, dr. P.P. :o ?

Harpman,

If you look at the O-A as just another variation of a 'normal' Multi Entry NonImmigrant Visa, it would seem you could re-enter Thailand one day before its expiration and get an 'admitted until' stamp having nothing to do with your visa's expiration, which is per usual. The Immigration guys that Redwood have experienced were apparently briefed to break-out the 365-day stamp whenever they see an "A" on the visa - which is sure better than getting a 90-day stamp,which apparently is what happened in the initial days of O-A visas.

But since the O-A is just another way of getting an extension of stay based on retirement, it would seem your 365-day clock starts ticking the first time you enter Thailand on your O-A. This identical timeframe would occur had you entered on an 'O,' and then had the extension done at Immigration. So, it would seem that, yes, you can re-enter Thailand as long as your visa is valid. But it would also seem that the original 'admitted until' date would stay constant......

But since there's nothing logical about any of this, I agree with MG about getting a read: I'd hate to be the first person to be denied re-entry, even with a valid multiple entry visa, because of mass confusion.

Besides, rumor has it that all O-A's that were obtained with non notarized paperwork will be cancelled :o

Hi Jim, Speaking for myself.as long as I get the 365 days on 1st arrival

that will be fine ,as I will have plenty of time to take it from there

as to what will happen when I eventually re-enter Thailand the 2nd time later on. It really doesnt matter to me whether I get another 365 days then or just till the visa expires on 2/6/ 06. And you're right it certainly wont hurt to inquire at Thai imm. before departing and see the "official" response will be.

In my experience here in N.O. the consul is in continual contact with the Thai embassy,and indeed no notarization was required...

As far as this "rumor" is concerned,I worked a govt. job for over 27yrs.where rumors were always flying about what the "powers that be" were going to do next. My conclusion is,and always will be,NEVER believe anything until you see it in writing.and even then be skeptical,they can change it back at any given moment! Ta Ta! The Harpman.

P.S. a couple of the posters here

referring to OAs arent specifying as to which type they're talking about.

They're not all the same,(An example being RDN's initial OA"long stay"as opposed to an initial retirement OA).

The one thing I absolutely know for sure about the O-A is that you don't have to pay customs duties on household stuff shipped over when you make the final move.

You are right Boon. An extended O visa and a work permit attached to an O or a B visa does it as well.

In my experience here in N.O. the consul is in continual contact with the Thai embassy,and indeed no notarization was required...

Harp, the notarization 'rumor' was my attempt to be funny, which as my wife tells me, usually doesn't work.

I think MG's explanation as to why the honorary consulates don't require notarization was right on. And that's where I'll be applying, even tho' the Embassy is a 15-minute drive from my house. Their last stunt -- charging me $125 for a Multi entry NonImm 'O' good for only 6-months -- was a little too "in charge" for me. And they have a history of periodically playing this game. But anyways, glad N.O. and Houston consulates have worked out for you guys.

As Redwood has, let us know how things progress.

Harp, the notarization 'rumor' was my attempt to be funny, which as my wife tells me, usually doesn't work.

I think MG's explanation as to why the honorary consulates don't require notarization was right on. And that's where I'll be applying, even tho' the Embassy is a 15-minute drive from my house. Their last stunt -- charging me $125 for a Multi entry NonImm 'O' good for only 6-months -- was a little too "in charge" for me. And they have a history of periodically playing this game. But anyways, glad N.O. and Houston consulates have worked out for you guys.

As Redwood has, let us know how things progress.

Jim,I figured the"rumor" thing was indeed a joke,but slow as I am, it wasnt till well after I posted my reply.

:o Switching gears, even though the consul is in continual contact with the embasssy,they(the consul) was still convinced that I will only be admitted for 90 days upon arrival(see my post starting this

thread).The point being that continual contact may not in and of itself mean total clarity of understanding..

You are right Boon. An extended O visa and a work permit attached to an O or a B visa does it as well.

Cheers, Doc...

Until 25 Sept. 2005.

Redwood,

I assume Singapore was your last trip out of Thailand. And now your multi-entry O-A visa has expired (as of 13 Oct 2004). So I would assume you're out of re-entry bullets (assuming some semblance of the rules, ad hoc as they are here, are being adhered to).

Have you applied yet for a re-entry permit from Thai Immigration? If so, did they merely grant you one until 24 (or is it 25) Sept 2005 with no questions or scratched heads?

No current plans to travel outside Thailand, but I too will be very interested to see what happens if I do so before I have to apply for an extension of stay prior to 25 Sept. Right now money's going into remodeling an apartment and buying a bit of furniture. However, I am up for a trip to Macau next month with friends if some of you folks would like to help sponser me. :D Let's call it a fact finding tour :o

And yes, I'll certainly post an update if I leave and re-enter Thailand.

-redwood

Now I am getting confused even more.

Am in Chiang Mai at the moment to prepare for retirement and asked this question at a couple of shipping firms a.o. Schenker, where the lady spoke good english and was certain only WP or thai wife would do, one year retirement visa was of no use.

Went to customs at the airport, was sent to 2nd floor of the cargo building and the manager there was also very certain that I would have to pay duties and that only WP or Thai wife would be of any help.

I think I just give up to get a real answer, it is also odd that I can find no reactions from people who have actually imported stuff on a O-A visa.

Joop

Am in Chiang Mai at the moment to prepare for retirement and asked this question at a couple of shipping firms a.o. Schenker, where the lady spoke good english and was certain only WP or thai wife would do, one year retirement visa was of no use.

Went to customs at the airport, was sent to 2nd floor of the cargo building and the manager there was also very certain that I would have to pay duties and that only WP or Thai wife would be of any help.

I think I just give up to get a real answer, it is also odd that I can find no reactions from people who have actually imported stuff on a O-A visa.

Joop

An O-A or an extended O and B is all that it takes.

Joop

Doesn't this have to be done during the first 6 months after the initial utilization of the visa? Seems to me I recall having read that here or elsewhere.

At any rate I did import personal effects but they arrived some 14 months after I entered Thailand using the O-A visa. Paid duty of approximately 30% on their valuation.

-redwood

Now there's an excellent example of the confusion and IGNORANCE that reigns supreme on this subject: harpman, who's had a great experience with one consulate which is in continual contact with the Thai authorities, concludes a recent post, "The point being that continual contact may not in and of itself mean total clarity of understanding.."

There is no certainty, no adherence, no effective rule of law. It's all a crap shoot. I was able to administer an ungodly code of US law that was more complex than brain surgery, because it was all there in black and white, and we actually held to it with over 95% consistency. Here, nobody really knows, even experts. Not 70%, and on a bad arbitrary day, less than 50%.

I'm not slagging you guys who do your best to advise us on your best guesstimates. It's just that you - even you experts - don't know for sure. Yet as immigrants or visitors to this beautiful Kingdom, we bet our livelihood on these uncertainties. I had more certainties when the Mexican authorities were sure I was violating Article 33 of their Constitution, and gave me a long term visa anyway.

.....  P.S. a couple of the posters here referring to OAs arent specifying as to which type they're talking about.

They're not all the same,(An example being RDN's initial OA"long stay"as opposed to an initial retirement OA).

I totally agree with this very important point - nomenclature is crucial when discussing these matters, and that's why I try to remember to state exactly the type [Non-immigrant] and class ["O-A" (long stay)] of my visa. People even talk about "visas" when they mean "extensions". It must be as confusing to newcomers as it is annoying to old-timers when they see this, and I wish I had the time to correct these confusing posts. :o

Now there's an excellent example of the confusion and IGNORANCE that reigns supreme on this subject:.......

I'm not slagging you guys who do your best to advise us on your best guesstimates.  It's just that you - even you experts - don't know for sure. ......

All we can do is report our own experiences, encourage others to do the same and point everyone in the direction of the published rules.

As for "ignorance", I will repeat again the story of MY first arrival here with my shiny new "A-O (long stay)" visa: the immigration officer (female) at the airport refused to give me a one-year departure stamp in my passport even though I politely told her three times that an "O-A" awards me that. So she gave me 3 months and I refused to budge. I said she'd made a mistake and that I wanted a one year date. She called over a man who took me to see a senior officer. He agreed with me and we went back to the lady and he told her "one year". She was suitably embarrassed, apologised and I went away with a one year stamp. The world is not perfect.

P.S. I was told by the Embassy in London to make sure I got a one year stamp - they seemed to know that these visas were unfamiliar to the airport immigration officers.

.....  P.S. a couple of the posters here referring to OAs arent specifying as to which type they're talking about.

I totally agree with this very important point - nomenclature is crucial when discussing these matters, and that's why I try to remember to state exactly the type [Non-immigrant] and class ["O-A" (long stay)] of my visa. People even talk about "visas" when they mean "extensions". It must be as confusing to newcomers as it is annoying to old-timers when they see this, and I wish I had the time to correct these confusing posts. :o

Now there's an excellent example of the confusion and IGNORANCE that reigns supreme on this subject:.......

I'm not slagging you guys who do your best to advise us on your best guesstimates.  It's just that you - even you experts - don't know for sure. ......

All we can do is report our own experiences, encourage others to do the same and point everyone in the direction of the published rules.

As for "ignorance", I will repeat again the story of MY first arrival here with my shiny new "A-O (long stay)" visa: the immigration officer (female) at the airport refused to give me a one-year departure stamp in my passport even though I politely told her three times that an "O-A" awards me that. So she gave me 3 months and I refused to budge. I said she'd made a mistake and that I wanted a one year date. She called over a man who took me to see a senior officer. He agreed with me and we went back to the lady and he told her "one year". She was suitably embarrassed, apologised and I went away with a one year stamp. The world is not perfect.

P.S. I was told by the Embassy in London to make sure I got a one year stamp - they seemed to know that these visas were unfamiliar to the airport immigration officers.

RDN,It was in fact this very thing I had in mind(The London Embassy telling you to make sure of the 1 yr.stamp) when I tried to explain to the consul that I should get 1yr.on arrival. Your other comments about the confusion about "visas" "extensions" and wishing you had the time,etc.were also right on the money...I thought about posting the very same comments on many occasions,especially in regards to those just beginning to assemble background info concerning these issues.

As far as the consul/embassy contact issue is concerned,while there's inevitably going to be some(a lot of?) confusion when it comes to bureaucratic procedure,I would'nt go so far as to say there's NO adherence or semblance of law..

I think the thing to remember here is that while the consuls issue visas and do their very best to

provide what they deem to be accurate info, they do not see what ACTUALLY HAPPENS once the person using the visa enters Thailand,this is the point at which the entire focus is shifted ,for one is now subject to what the Imm.authorities IN THAILAND are going to do/require

from this point forward...

When I went for my O-A retirement(long stay as the officials call it) at the Royal Thai embassy in Jakarta,I was the first ever to apply for that type of visa over there.

They want to go absolutely according to the book in order not to be embarrazed by the Thai immigration later on.

So I waited for them to collect their info from the Ministry of F.A.

Those intructions arrived in Thai and English language, very much the same as from the immigration web site on this forum.

After providing them with ALL the requested info in duplo or triple or whatever,they were sending this file to Immigration office in BKK in order to get the approval. After that they put the visa in my passport ( the same day) .

Although I knew all the officials involved in the procedure personally very well,they still and corrctly went according to the book.

I used a high professional moving group (Asian Tigers) to get our personal belongings moved from Jakarta to Korat. They preferred to use the returning Thai procedure and do the move om my wifes name,although my name was also mentioned and could be used as a backup ;incase...),

My agreement with them was a fully paid amount with door to door action.All the pre checking from them (special the passport of my wife) was done at both offices in Jakarta as well as in Bangkok.

The move went perfect.

The one year stamp at the immigration at Don Muang was seconds work without even asking for it.

I had copies of the(Thai) rules and regulations with me.You can visit the websites of immigration and Min. of F.A. quite easaly.

I also got a lot of help from the forum members during the last year.

Very Iimportant: Take your time for preparation.Don't try to get everything done within a month (impossible).

My first question on this forum was somewhere in November 2003 with the requst: retirement or spouse visa?

Do some investigation by yourself too.Not all answers on the forum are ,although well ment, correct.

Joop

Doesn't this have to be done during the first 6 months after the initial utilization of the visa? Seems to me I recall having read that here or elsewhere.

At any rate I did import personal effects but they arrived some 14 months after I entered Thailand using the O-A visa. Paid duty of approximately 30% on their valuation.

-redwood

It has to be done within 6 months after first arrival.

....Very Iimportant: Take your time for preparation.Don't try to get everything done within a month (impossible).....

Timing may be more important for O-A visas than other types because of the amount of paperwork that has to be presented and valid within a short - one month (?) - time frame.

So you need to work backwards from when you will arrive in bkk: if you can get a flight for, say, June 10th, you want the visa ready by, say, May 1st (if visa is valid for 3 months, arrive in the middle of its validity time).

If you need the visa on May 1st, you need to apply by April 20th.

You need your 3 visa application forms, medical certificate, criminal record, bank statement all ready on April 20th - so you need to apply for criminal record 40 days earlier - Feb 20th, the medical certificate (go to doc and ask how long it will take - make appointment so you get the results April 19th), bank statement (go to bank, ask how long it will take, make sure you get it on April 18th).

Hopefully you can time everything to be ready around the same date. Meanwhile you complete the three visa application forms and then off you go to the Embassy. With luck, the forms will be correctly completed and therefore accepted by the Embassy and you get your visa 5-10 days later (April 30th), just before you need to pay for the rest of the air-ticket - because you've only paid a deposit, so far. (It would be a shame if you paid in full for the ticket, but there was something wrong with your visa application and you couldn't go).

I think that's the sort of process an O-A visa applicant must consider. It sounds daunting, it's not impossible, but you need to keep on top of everything and plan well.

All great information, guys - much appreciated.

Should also note that my question re the O-A will have the added stipulation of supporting Thai wife so that's where I was certain I can skip customs duties.

...if the rule does not change before I get over :o

Edited by Boon Mee

Should also note that my question re the O-A will have the added stipulation of supporting Thai wife so that's where I was certain I can skip customs duties.

You get no special import for support of a Thai wife and if you enter on an O-A you have no proof of support in any case. The requirement is one year visa/extension and within the first six months regardless of how may wives you have (had). :D

When I went for my O-A retirement(long stay as the officials call it) at the Royal Thai embassy in Jakarta,I was the first ever to apply for that type of visa over there.

They want to go absolutely according to the book in order not to be embarrazed by the Thai immigration later on.

So I waited for them to collect their info from the Ministry of F.A.

Those intructions arrived in Thai and English language, very much the same as from the immigration web site on this forum.

After providing them with ALL the requested info in duplo or triple or whatever,they were sending this file to Immigration office in BKK in order to get the approval. After that they put the visa in my passport ( the same day) .

Although I knew all the officials involved in the procedure personally very well,they still and corrctly went according to the book.

I used a high professional moving group (Asian Tigers) to get our personal belongings moved from Jakarta to Korat. They preferred to use the returning Thai procedure and do the move om my wifes name,although my name was also mentioned and could be used as a backup ;incase...),

My agreement with them was a fully paid amount with door to door action.All the pre checking from them (special the passport of my wife) was done at both offices in Jakarta as well as in Bangkok.

The move went perfect.

The one year stamp at the immigration at Don Muang was seconds work without even asking for it.

I had copies of the(Thai) rules and regulations with me.You can visit the websites of immigration and Min. of F.A. quite easaly.

I also got a lot of help from the forum members during the last year.

Very Iimportant: Take your time for preparation.Don't try to get everything done within a month (impossible).

My first question on this forum was somewhere in November 2003 with the requst: retirement or spouse visa?

Do some investigation by yourself too.Not all answers on the forum are ,although well ment, correct.

I couldn't agree more,Dutch.

Preparation/self investigation are indeed the most important factors.

I would also say one should pay particular attention to what the consul/embassy one is ACTUALLY DEALING WITH is telling you.

What may be happening with others elsewhere(applying for the same visa) may have nothing to do with with your specific situation.In other words,tune out everything else and follow to the letter what you,specifically,are being instructed to do....

Anyway,Dutch,just out of curiosity,have you picked up any info. along the way as to how long you will be admitted for if/when you decide to leave and return to Thailand sometime before your initial year is up??

The O-A is for retirement Boon. You need an O for support and extend it in Thailand.