Registering Electronics Out And Back Into Thailand At Customs

noahvail

From another topic, got a link to Thai customs which led me to a paragraph talking about laptops, camera, video cameras, and the like:

"register these items- as long as they have serial numbers or other unique, permanent, marking items- to Customs at the departure airport after checking in and receiving a boarding pass."

Fair enough. I've got all sorts of stuff taking with me on a return trip to the States.

Anyone know if there's a special desk at Swampy for this purpose, and where it's located? Thanks, guys

I have been travelling the world for a long, long time.

Only once did they query my stash - 3 x NB - told them they were for business and mine.

Not theirs. You dont owe them squat beyond that. It wasnt Thailand either.

I have never registered anything anywhere, either. Have no fear.

BR>Jack

BTW - If ya real para, get insurance co to issue policy with all the ID # on it, keep copies for the Federales/Katoys.

I have been travelling the world for a long, long time.

Only once did they query my stash - 3 x NB - told them they were for business and mine.

Not theirs. You dont owe them squat beyond that. It wasnt Thailand either.

I have never registered anything anywhere, either. Have no fear.

BR>Jack

BTW - If ya real para, get insurance co to issue policy with all the ID # on it, keep copies for the Federales/Katoys.

Sweet. But I'm not paranoid, that's just an evil rumour spread by those who are out to get me.

Used to live in the States, long ago. Filled out their form about expensive stuff, got the stamp, and was gone. Brought the stuff back in, got the questions...showed them the list with the stamp, no further questions, welcome back sir.

I reckon it's easier to do a bit of legwork before the problem than a s***load of legwork afterwards. Maybe a bit anal retentive, I know, but when you hear about people getting stuck for three days and so on. Got copies of passports, hotel reservations, IDP...if one gets stolen, I've got the rest to get through the trip. Then worry about ID theft later :)

Soooo...I'd still like to know where the desk is, please, somebody.

I have never heard of registration in Thailand.

India Yes.

Nor have I had a problem with Thai Customs.

One camera, one computer, should not attract any interest.

3 x notebooks is a bit OTT, but JackDanielsEsq seems to have survived. :)

I have always understood that one of any item (except illicit drugs / dangerous chemicals etc) would never be queried. And in reality what customs are looking for is a number of items of one product which assumes that you are going to sell them, therefore taxes are applicable.

Perhaps my assumption is wrong?

I have never heard of registration in Thailand.

India Yes.

Nor have I had a problem with Thai Customs.

One camera, one computer, should not attract any interest.

3 x notebooks is a bit OTT, but JackDanielsEsq seems to have survived. :)

As I said in my first post, I got the info from a link in another thread. This is it: http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Trave...?menuNme=Travel

Look for "Outbound Travelers" about 3/4 of the way down the page. Somewhere above that it says that if the total value of what you're bringing back in is over 80,000 baht, you have to declare it. I dunno...maybe that would include most anybody with a decent laptop and a fair amount of software.

• 1 month later...

In the next few months I am going to use my local post office here in the states and ship probably 3 seperate boxes with personal items. One box will have a computer and packed with my clothes. Another box will have a printer and clothes as well. Post office suggested this to get all my things there to cut down on boxes. :)

I'll probably send another computer and another printer as well. All these things will be personal items I will use when I move there. I'm going to send them to a residence there as my destination.

I'll also send some work samples that will look commercial I'm sure but they are for presenting to some businesses I will locate at a later time.

I'm just wondering if these personal items will be stopped in customs and never make it to my residence in Thailand or will they contact the destination saying we have these items and we need you to come here to pay more money.

Any help is much appreciated.

• 2 months later...
In the next few months I am going to use my local post office here in the states and ship probably 3 seperate boxes with personal items. One box will have a computer and packed with my clothes. Another box will have a printer and clothes as well. Post office suggested this to get all my things there to cut down on boxes. :)

I'll probably send another computer and another printer as well. All these things will be personal items I will use when I move there. I'm going to send them to a residence there as my destination.

I'll also send some work samples that will look commercial I'm sure but they are for presenting to some businesses I will locate at a later time.

I'm just wondering if these personal items will be stopped in customs and never make it to my residence in Thailand or will they contact the destination saying we have these items and we need you to come here to pay more money.

Any help is much appreciated.

FWIW

When I moved across here I brought a load of stuff as well. Luckily the GF of the time came with me and managed to get the import duties reduced by saying it all belonged to her. Although there was still five or so thousand Baht to pay; on top of 30,000 air freight charges.

Post arrival experience showed that at least 75% of the clothes/shoes turned mouldy and fell apart after a couple of years in the boxes. I also brought a notebook, printer, desktop, scanner. The scanner never worked properly after the trip.

My advice is to bring the absolute minimum and buy new here. Save on postage, duty and hassles. Keep the stuff you think you might desperately need in a box at a friend's house. This I did as well. Five years later I went back and threw the lot away....

New country, new life, a new start, don' t clog it up with the past.....

If I had to make the move again, I would only take the notebook, camera, mobile, a few basic clothes and personal hygiene articles. The rest can be bought in Thailand cheaply and easily.

Edited by 12DrinkMore