Pooying Muay Thai - Canadian Vs Thai

Sorry for the lack of reference detail. Like names, what channel etc. I did a search on sport news and came up with nothing on these results.

I watched Muay Thai on tv in Phuket on Sunday afternoon.

Pretty ordinary at first. Then I see that the next fight is a woman from Canada against a Thai woman.

I do stay tuned and watch the fight.

After round 1, the warm up round for everyone, this Canadian was winning big time. Big, hard connecting punches and quite a number of them. It may have been the 3rd round where the Thai woman was clearly saved by the bell. 10 or 15 more seconds and she would have lost to a KO imo. Several times in the fight she was nearly down, clearly dazed by the beating. Other than a kick now and then, she did little to the western opponent. The overall theme was her getting the shit kicked out of her

OK so what?

If you didn't see the fight, the Thai woman was declared the winner. JFC, I don't know if I can watch ever again.

I was so incensed at this that my wife had to jai yen me. Cheatin barstewards!

I don't know wether to credit Thai culture refusing to allow a farang to win, or chalk it up to fighting is just plain crooked.

I hope it's the latter. I fear it's the first.

Edited by captnhoy

I've actually seen this result before as well (both with Thai and western competitors dominating muay thai fights with punches). It was irritating as it was obvious who the actual dominant fighter was, but they ended up losing. Then a friend told me that punches are either not counted in muay thai or only given very low scores relative to kicks, knees, elbows, etc. It sounds completely counterintuitive to me. Anyone else ever hear of this?

I was in the stadium itself yesterday when it happened, the stadium there itself doesn't have the greatest reputation, but not so much for not letting foreigners win, but more that the judging tends to favor the home or promotions fighters a little too much. What was shocking to many yesterday was that the Canadian girl was the promoters fighter and using his gym name and opinion of many punters before the fight was that the Thai girl would have to win clearly to get the decision as the Canadian would have the fact of being the promoters fighter on her side and also the fact she had also koed the Thai girl previously there. I don't think the t.v showed what happened after, but it kicked off inside the stadium with many of the gamblers furious with the decision and one running down fro the stands and throwing the advertising banners into the ring, argument went on for a little while before the chief judge got in the ring and announced over the mic that the fight had been declared a no contest and no decision. Today it was announced that the two judges that scored for the Thai girl have been suspended from judging.

If you didn't see the fight, the Thai woman was declared the winner. JFC, I don't know if I can watch ever again.

I don't know wether to credit Thai culture refusing to allow a farang to win, or chalk it up to fighting is just plain crooked.

the judging between Thai and foreigner fights actually tends to be a lot fairer here in general compared with a lot of countries where the home fighter will get a bias. The reason is most pople in the crowd are betting on the fights and won't accept losing money on a bad decision, there were a lot of very angry people in the stadium yesterday that the Thai girl got the decision and all of them were Thai.

the judging between Thai and foreigner fights actually tends to be a lot fairer here in general compared with a lot of countries where the home fighter will get a bias. The reason is most pople in the crowd are betting on the fights and won't accept losing money on a bad decision, there were a lot of very angry people in the stadium yesterday that the Thai girl got the decision and all of them were Thai.

I appreciate your insight as I'm just the occaisional fan and rarely see them live. I did say that if I'd been there somebody would have probably punched ME i was so incensed by it. I later wondered if the outcome was about gambling.

The details that you share are encouraging - changing the results, suspending judges.

Thanks!