Window Air Conditioners

I am looking for a window air conditioner. They are very popular in the US. A window air conditioner is a completely self contained unit that fits in a window usually with the compressor outside and the fan and vents inside.

I have asked at all the usual places, Home Mart, Home Place, Home Depot, Home Anywhere and they give me a blank look.

I have not seen any units in Thailand.

Window air conditioners are the perfect option for renters. Install the unit on move in and relocate to new apartment on move out.

Does anyone know if window air conditioners exist in Thailand?

If they do, any window air conditioner dealers in Pattaya?

I have never seen one for sale or installed here in Thailand. I imagine a thief could steal one in about 5 minutes, huh?

If installed correctly, with all screws / fasteners in place, they are not easy to steal. The outside unit of the split type, would be easier ( if that is what you are looking for).

What is more important is that when you live at ground level it cannot be pushed to the inside.

The casing stays in place, but the unit falls to the floor, and Viola a man sized hole access to the house is created.

Easy preventable by placing a strip over the unit bolted to the Wall.

I have only seen a few in Thailand, so cannot say much about availabilyty....

I've seen the portable ones where you just stick the exhaust hose out the window. About 3,500 ฿ at a fan shop in Pak Chong. A bit far from Pattaya but at least they are around.

I think your pricing is a bit off... for a portable unit with about 13,000 BTUs (enough for a small to medium size room) the price is about 21,000 Baht. I'm considering buying one of these myself, since my landlord wants 1000 Baht / month rent increase, (forever) plus another one year lease contract(!) to install the conventional built-in unit of the type sold here in Thailand....

The window type air con unit is fitted from the inside in a metal frame cage and if bolted correctly cannot be stolen by just walking off with it. Also if fitted correctly it cannot be pushed into the room for a burglar to get into the house.

I think they are more efficient and certainly quieter than the so called portable units which are not really very portable at all and a security risk as you have to crack a door or window for the vent pipes.

I have seen some in use in Thailand but can't recall where, possibly at the border control booths, but have not seen any in the shops for sale. So have no idea of cost or where to get one.

post-35075-1246267613_thumb.jpg post-35075-1246267635_thumb.jpg

They went out with the dodo bird. They are trash sold in the USA to those of us Americans who buy the low cost leader. I have not seen them for general sale here for over 20 years. The split type is just too much better for them to compete, even if lower priced. And I had several here before getting/waking up to the split type. They are noisy, let hot air in when not being used, rust out in no time flat, and impossible to keep clean. It costs very little to install or remove a split system here so just makes more sense to use the better system.

These went of of fashion in thailand with buckle up boots. There maybe a few still kicking around in the old R&R Hotels that are left, but I haven't seen one here for yonks.

There have been some excellent specials kicking around lately with the Portable Units. A US Brand 'Yorke' had one selling recently (9 & 13 BTU) for very reasonable prices.

Lotus even had one a few months ago selling for about 12,000 Baht!!! (9BTU)

You just hook up the flexible exhaust hose to vent outside and most have a water 'catchment' tank to collect the run off.

That's the way I would go.

What a scarey thought.

Thais taking to the roads towing 30 foot Caravans/Trailers.

Thai 'Trailer Trash', something to look forward too. All we need now is Jerry Springer.