Uk Tourist Visa For Philippine Passport Holders

Hi,

I have a Filipino friend working here who wish to visit London for a holiday late this year or early next year. We wonder what do we need such as documents and other requirements to apply for a Tourist Visa. My friend would prefer to do the application here which makes her curious if it's possible or does my friend need to go back to PI for the processing. Would be grateful to hear some tips and advice. Sharing of some experiences can be of great help as well. Thanks ahead.

Edited by Vang2x

Your friend can apply in Bangkok, provided they are legally resident in Thailand. If not, then they will need to apply in Manilla.

Hi 7by 7,

I spoke with my friend today. She has an aunt working in London who can serve as a sponsor and actually the purpose of the visit. The planned visit is one-two weeks. She's a work permit holder but not a resident here. The thing is she doesn't have any land title that has her name in the Philippines and as you've mentioned there's a need to apply in Manila. Thinking of the time, expense and effort to go back to PI just for the application, is it possible to inquire here in Bangkok? At least to have any idea of the specific requirements?I mean the Embassy.

Thanks again. :)

My then girl friend, now wife, got a tourist visa to visit me last year when I was still living in the UK. She's a filipina, works and lives in Thailand and applied to the Brit Embassy in BKK. I provided sponsor's details in the format required by the embassy ie I had the resources and accommodation. I was self employed and provided an uncertified statement of income & expenditure together with bank statements; I shared a flat with a mate so provided a letter from the landlord and my flat mate saying they were happy for my gf to stay in the flat and that it was big enough. My wife is completely legit, she has a job a work permit and she can document everything so she provided copies of all this together with the school providing a letter saying she had a job to return to. I think this is important .... they want some tangible evidence that a person has a reason to return, and that usually means an economic reason. In addition we could evidence our relationship for the previous four years including my stamps in and out of Thailand and trips together to the Philippines, emails, photographs etc......... in the end we actually submitted a dossier but it worked. She got the visa.

Your friend can apply in Bangkok, provided they are legally resident in Thailand. If not, then they will need to apply in Manilla.

Hi 7by 7,

I spoke with my friend today. She has an aunt working in London who can serve as a sponsor and actually the purpose of the visit. The planned visit is one-two weeks. She's a work permit holder but not a resident here. The thing is she doesn't have any land title that has her name in the Philippines and as you've mentioned there's a need to apply in Manila. Thinking of the time, expense and effort to go back to PI just for the application, is it possible to inquire here in Bangkok? At least to have any idea of the specific requirements?I mean the Embassy.

Perhaps the term "legally resident" may be misconstrued. Visit visa applications can be made to any visa application centre anywhere in the world, applications for other purposes should be made where the applicant is currently living, or their country of origin. In the case of your friend, she can apply in Bangkok, which is where she is currently working, but as she only wants a visit visa she could apply anywhere. As long as she can show that she's got a job to go back to in Thailand, she should be ok.

If she wasn't living "legally" in Thailand, she might have a job explaining herself even if she went back to PHL to apply!!!

Quite, as she is legally in Thailand with a work permit then she can apply in Bangkok.

There have been several threads on what is required for a visit visa recently; this one contains the information you need, ; although not everything is relevent to your friend.

Hi 7by 7,

Perhaps the term "legally resident" may be misconstrued. Visit visa applications can be made to any visa application centre anywhere in the world, applications for other purposes should be made where the applicant is currently living, or their country of origin. In the case of your friend, she can apply in Bangkok, which is where she is currently working, but as she only wants a visit visa she could apply anywhere. As long as she can show that she's got a job to go back to in Thailand, she should be ok.

If she wasn't living "legally" in Thailand, she might have a job explaining herself even if she went back to PHL to apply!!!

Thank you. You're definitely right! I've known many Filipinos who are definitely work permit holders and I had no idea that if I mentioned WORKING here then I'd have to specify working legally. I should have mentioned "a friend who is working here illegally" if she was. Then I misunderstood and got confused with "legally resident" as "permanent resident" when in fact, one can't obtain any WP without being a legal resident.( Now I'm starting to doubt if I can even speak ENG lolol!) Would be crazy and very illogical as well for one who can't afford to at least work here with proper documents to plan getting any tourist visa for other countries.

gerryBscott, do appreciate your share as well, you definitely answered my question. It's a relief to know that she can do the processing here just as thought. And as in some of the threads here, many discuss about the fiancee visa but my friend is isn't in the same purpose that's why I raise the subject.

I think it'd be better give more info.

Aunt has been working outside the PHIL for ten years, in London for at least six.

Aunt and hubby (both FILs) went back to the PHIL for a vacation last May this year.

My friend wasn't able to go home due to her summer classes in the university. (She's a teacher.)

Aunt has no plan of visiting home again so far and as her fave niece who missed the Family reunion, she offered her to visit London with her support including the ticket.

The niece has traveled around ASEAN countries only.

There is absolutely a reason of return or else she'd have to face breach of contract with her company.

The question now is whether her aunt, not really directly blood related as mother, father or siblings qualified to be her sponsor. We are aware of the documents needed as far as accommodation, bank statements and payslips on her aunt's side are concerned. My friend has her own savings also .

Many thanks again,

:D

Visiting an aunt would actually be classed as a family visit, so that is what she should apply for.

No real difference between this and a tourist, except that if she applies to visit family and is refused she can appeal. If she applies as a tourist she cannot.

I think one of the things you need to get your head around is the British Embassy won't be too interested in whether this is your friend's favourite aunt etc. I am no expert in these matters but your friend will probably need demonstrate in some way that she has had regular contact with your aunt, copies of emails, letters,recent photos together and add them to a dossier with letters confirming employment in Thailand and job on return and everything else. The evidence you provide will either do the persuading for her or not. Good luck

I think one of the things you need to get your head around is the British Embassy won't be too interested in whether this is your friend's favourite aunt etc. I am no expert in these matters but your friend will probably need demonstrate in some way that she has had regular contact with your aunt, copies of emails, letters,recent photos together and add them to a dossier with letters confirming employment in Thailand and job on return and everything else. The evidence you provide will either do the persuading for her or not. Good luck

Thanks to you both 7by7 and gerryBscott, for sure my friend can handle now the matters better herself. The info shared are very helpful indeed.

Have a nice day! :)