Shangrila Hotel Dual Pricing For Brits

poohy

Why is it that so many of us always seem to want to kill the messenger?

Why is it that so many of us try to make somebody foolish who just wants to tell us what happened to him?

Why always assume that people tell fantasies?

Most of us live in this country and know anything is possible, nothing is too much.

I guess the man just told the truth, and was angry or shocked.

Why the unholy pressing for names?

All going out to check if he man tells the truth?

It does not really matter if the agent or the hotel singled out a nationality to charge an extra 2000.

Of course, being in the business he cannot tell names, would be the end of the business.

Many of us are victims of double pricing, farang pricing, whatever you want to call it.

If I am a victim of this stupid behaviour, I will not keep silent.

I turn around, and leave!

I will inform anyone who wants to hear.

And maybe take away a lot of customers from this enterprise.

And in this time, it will hurt.

On the other hand, if I am treated in the same way as Thai customers, I will try to give more business to the business, and tll others.

I don't think it's so much wanting to kill the messenger. I think it's actually seeking fairness. Someone says something about a business. The business isn't on this forum and can't respond...isn't even aware of the charge. So some of us question the truthfulness of the original statements.

I used to be a school principal. And I often thought back to what a Priest in our Parish once told us: "25% of the people are going to love you and think you're the best thing since sliced bread. 25% of the people are going to hate you and think you're the devil incarnate. And the other 50% of the people aren't gonna give a dam_n one way or another." Same for things written on this forum. All is not true. Some people have an axe to grind. Or, they may not be lying...they might just be wrong. Either way, all that is written here is not the truth. Thank goodness people question and we discuss and...at least sometimes...discover the real truth.

I've stayed there and have researched prices many times. I have seen local pricing / expat pricing differences but never for British. Indians and their close compatriats are sometimes refused or processed through other channels for various reasons.

However, I wonder if I have an answer to this which is particular to this hotel.

The Shangri-La has a Krunthep wing, which is self contained and higher priced than the regular hotel. Certain benefits and priviledges are usually associated with it and these can be used as marketing tools. I wonder if perhaps, the OP's correspondent was guiding Brits (and perhaps others and it is definately looking for business travellers rather than the Asian mass market tourists) towards the Krunthepo Wing rather than the regular wing. Failing that, perhaps the Horizon (as it was / is) Club rooms could have been the answer ?

I've stayed there and have researched prices many times. I have seen local pricing / expat pricing differences but never for British. Indians and their close compatriats are sometimes refused or processed through other channels for various reasons.

However, I wonder if I have an answer to this which is particular to this hotel.

The Shangri-La has a Krunthep wing, which is self contained and higher priced than the regular hotel. Certain benefits and priviledges are usually associated with it and these can be used as marketing tools. I wonder if perhaps, the OP's correspondent was guiding Brits (and perhaps others and it is definately looking for business travellers rather than the Asian mass market tourists) towards the Krunthepo Wing rather than the regular wing. Failing that, perhaps the Horizon (as it was / is) Club rooms could have been the answer ?

Sounds plausible.

RAZZ.

Although a daily reader I have never posted, however today i feel compelled to do so

I have lived here for 9 years and work in the inbound tourist industry, with full work permit etc

Today a contact wished to book the aforsaid hotel so i contacted my booking agent, the first question I was asked was the nationality (attached is skype conversation)

What Nationality are they?

Not Thai does that help?

No, but if they're British they pay a lot more...

really why?

They tear the place down and are always drunk

or so they seem to think

Anyway their best price to us today is ***** Baht/room/night for British citizens

and **** Baht for most others

both include breakfast

cheers i think they will probably be told to stuff it

Needless to say the British price was 2000 baht more then other nationalities

Why do Thais especially in the touist sector insist on shooting themseves in the feet?

Yeah,well TIT.

I have gotten so used to it.

I'm not really bothered anymore.I sell to Thai and westerners,Thai people have to pay me three times as much than a westerner.

If they don't like it find a Thai to do it for you.Tit for tat in my eyes.

Even my brother done the same back home on Camden Market he was selling T-shirts for five quid and two thais want one it said 5 pounds in black and white.They were angry that he wanted 20 quid,but they paid.He lived here too.