Question Re Currency Exchange In Thailand

brian272727

TGF is coming over to UK for a holiday next month.

I said I would pay half her flight, so I owe her 20,000 baht

Question is... Would I be better giving her the money in GBP or Baht, I believe that the exchange rate is better in Thailand so would she be better changing the GBP > Baht herself?

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the 'on the street' cost of 20,000 baht would be in GBPs?

Give her the money in GBP and let her do what she want with it

She may want to buy things for her in UK if not she will change at airport

exchange rate >>> look on internet or buy a newspaper

make it simple

I have generally found that changing foriegn currency 'onshore' gets you the better rate. So, if you are transferring from your bank in the uk, to hers in thailand, you would be better off to specify that you send GBP.

As the british pound is slowly becoming trash money, you will now only get about 56 baht per pound. If you know which bank your gf is with, you can look online and see (roughly) what rate you are going to get, its not that hard. It should cost you about 360 pounds. Naturally you will have to pay your bank fee that relates to the electronic transfer & depending which bank she has here in thailand, she may also pay a small fee, this end (normally no more than 500 baht).

Thanks, I will transfer the cash tonight as the Baht is at its highest for a while.

Actually 56 baht is a good rate for me, my first trip to Thailand was in December and it was 50, then in March I got 47.

I can only dream of the days when it was high 60's.

Yes, well don't get too excited. The GBP has seen better times & it might be a long time before they return. It has also been suggested that the thai baht is undervalued.

If you check her bank online & then check yours, you will probably see hers is paying slightly more than yours, so when you fill out the form at your bank, it should ask which currency you want to send, opt for sending GBP, if thats the one offering the best rate.

When your gf bank recieves the money they will automatically change it to baht as it hits her account.

Question is... Would I be better giving her the money in GBP or Baht, I believe that the exchange rate is better in Thailand so would she be better changing the GBP > Baht herself?

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the 'on the street' cost of 20,000 baht would be in GBPs?

Give it to her in Sterling and tell her to sit tight for a few months - the baht is going to tumble later this year/early next year.

Use the moneychangers in Chinatown - I send my son money every month (to the USA) - their charges: none (and the money will be in his account today West Coast time so long as they get it cash in Chinatown before mid-night). The xchange rate this evening for Sterling was close on Baht 1.5 better than what BB is quoting!

Don't ask how their system works.

My son sees the same depositors name every month when he goes to draw it - so I guess there is an established network - someone goes around to the bank with cash in hand and puts it into client accounts whereever they are. Its 100% reliable and on the one occassion I queried the rate after the transfer was done, the guy was so eager to follow through on his assurance of customer service, I was given the benefit of the doubt and the difference was returned. So these guys are not out to scam people - they are running a business - its unofficial and unregulated, but its head on with Western Union and Moneygram at better rates and with no questions.

Give it to her in Sterling and tell her to sit tight for a few months - the baht is going to tumble later this year/early next year.

Use the moneychangers in Chinatown - I send my son money every month (to the USA) - their charges: none (and the money will be in his account today West Coast time so long as they get it cash in Chinatown before mid-night). The xchange rate this evening for Sterling was close on Baht 1.5 better than what BB is quoting!

Don't ask how their system works.

My son sees the same depositors name every month when he goes to draw it - so I guess there is an established network - someone goes around to the bank with cash in hand and puts it into client accounts whereever they are. Its 100% reliable and on the one occassion I queried the rate after the transfer was done, the guy was so eager to follow through on his assurance of customer service, I was given the benefit of the doubt and the difference was returned. So these guys are not out to scam people - they are running a business - its unofficial and unregulated, but its head on with Western Union and Moneygram at better rates and with no questions.

Cheers for the advice. Will say to her.

• 10 months later...