Baht Buses

Thaiquila

Baht buses drive me a little batty but I am a frequent user. Like many, I wish the rules were clearer, but so be it.

The other thread about the fingering had turned into something else, so thus this new post.

I usually figure out what is the correct fare to pay and so far have only had two drivers give me a problem.

My general rules:

-- a really short run (for example on Beach Road or Pattaya Tai where there is no crossing of a major road such as Pattaya Klang) 5 baht

-- for a longer basic run, say from Pattaya Tai up to Big C, 10 baht, even though it is my understanding that Thais pay 5 baht

-- for a longer run where the driver turns the wrong way for me (for example, I want to go to Big C but he turns at Pattaya Klang) 5 baht or 10 baht if the driver looks mean

Here are my "incidents"

Going from Pattaya Tai to the very end of Jomtein beach road (where the good seafood restaurants are) gave 10 baht and the driver starting screaming, it did make sense to me that he demanded another 10 baht to go all that way, but I have been told by Thais that they would pay 10 baht only for this

Going from a little north of Pattaya Klang south. and then I went all the way to Soi VC (because he turned right at Second Road) and in this case, the driver took the 10 baht I gave him (which still seems the correct farang fare for this) and tossed them in the air in disgust as if rejecting the offering. I found this reaction quite novel and I did not take it in a jai dee manner. He didn't ask for more money, just the money tossing gesture.

Also, has anyone heard of this rich one:

I was told by a Thai companion that when a Thai is travelling with a farang, the farang is expected to pay the farang fare rate for the Thai.

Farang fares are absurd enough; this "custom" is over the top for me.

The solution of course is to have to Thai person pay their own fare separately.

I have also paid 15 baht when travelling with a Thai, one farang plus one Thai, thank you sir, and no objection from the driver.

Anyway, I am wondering if there are any comments about these details, so to help us solve the mysteries of the baht bus fares.

Edited by Thaiquila

Also, has anyone heard of this rich one:

I was told by a Thai companion that when a Thai is travelling with a farang, the farang is expected to pay the farang fare rate for the Thai.

Last time I was in Pattaya the Thai companion paid the local fare and the Farang paid the going Farang rate but that's been some time ago so it appears the rules have changed.

Welcome back to LOS, TQ! :o

One evening not long ago, during the high season and during the peak hours, I counted bahtbusses on beach road, just for fun. For ever ONE bahtbus with passengers (any, even one) there were 4 empty.

Getting rid of 80% of the baht busses in Pattaya would fix several probles:

- Those remaining could earn a decent salary so they didn't have to defraud the tourists but charge the correct 5 baht from everyone without getting into a strop.

- Traffic would be eased no end.

- Pollution ditto.

- Accidents caused by erratic bahtbus drivers ditto.

The remaining unemployed drivers could go back to Issan and work the fields again. Seems that's about the height of what they should be capable of anyway.

Basic fare within Pty is 5 baht...if you are Thai. Falang are expected to pay 10 baht.

YES, its double pricing! Wow, its 10 cents or whatever.

Personally, I pay the 10 as I don't want to be in a dispute with a 2X4 or a tire iron.

Pty to Jomtien it should be 20 but make sure its a bus and not a taxi songthaew.

One evening not long ago, during the high season and during the peak hours, I counted bahtbusses on beach road, just for fun.  For ever ONE bahtbus with passengers (any, even one) there were 4 empty.

- Those remaining could earn a decent salary so they didn't have to defraud the tourists but charge the correct 5 baht from everyone without getting into a strop.

- Traffic would be eased no end.

- Pollution ditto.

- Accidents caused by erratic bahtbus drivers ditto.

The remaining unemployed drivers could go back to Issan and work the fields again. Seems that's about the height of what they should be capable of anyway.

All true, but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon. :o I have a motorbike so I don't have to bother with the baht bus drivers very often, but I am rooting for a real bus system to be successful :D

I always thought a continuous tram system around the circuit (beach Rd. second Rd.) would be a good idea.

However i have no problems whatsoever with the baht buses. More the merrier in my opinion. I have never had to wait for one to pick me up for more than seconds.

I pay 5 baht to central Rd. And 10 baht to Big C. Same down beach Rd. 5 baht to as far as Soi 10. And 10 baht the full lenghth of beach Rd.

Always give coins for fare. Giving notes of 20/50/100 or more, you can expect to be at the mercy of whatever the driver wants to charge you.

Maybe... but then you will be on here complaining of stood at the roadside 15 minutes, sweating your nads off waiting in a queue for one. And having only 20% of these baht buses, where do you think they would be! i'll tell you. Doing the beach Rd. / second Rd.circuit. Don't expect to flag one down with the ease you do at the moment anywhere else in Pattaya. And when one does pull up and sees how elated you are, yet dripping in sweat. How much more do you think you will pay?

I always thought a continuous tram system around the circuit (beach Rd. second Rd.) would be a good idea.

However i have no problems whatsoever with the baht buses. More the merrier in my opinion. I have never had to wait for one to pick me up for more than seconds.

I pay 5 baht to central Rd. And 10 baht to Big C. Same down beach Rd. 5 baht to as far as Soi 10. And 10 baht the full lenghth of beach Rd.

Always give coins for fare. Giving notes of 20/50/100 or more, you can expect to be at the mercy of whatever the driver wants to charge you.

Maybe... but then you will be on here complaining of stood at the roadside 15 minutes, sweating your nads off waiting in a queue for one. And having only 20% of these baht buses, where do you think they would be! i'll tell you. Doing the beach Rd. / second Rd.circuit. Don't expect to flag one down with the ease you do at the moment anywhere else in Pattaya. And when one does pull up and sees how elated you are, yet dripping in sweat. How much more do you think you will pay?

Exactly SEAtramp...... I am more than happy to see numerous baht busses plying their trade and offerring what I have found to be the quickest, easiest and cheapest transport system in any country that I have visited.... If the numbers are reduced you will be standing a lot longer as many full baht busses speed past...Yes the driver will be smiling....but you won`t be..

whatever way you look at it its a recipe for disaster .

too many variables which allow a passenger to be scammed and overcharged.

i was once charged 100baht for a short hop to thenearby hospital because i was visibly ill

so he took advantage of the situation .Its not uncommon for a dumb tourist to pay 100 for a short hop so they expect all farangs to pay this sort of fee

now i dont use them at all because a bike hire at 100 bahts a day is preferable to all the hassle with baht buses.

The following is information which I have taken from a publication issued by the Public Carriage Office transport for London press release dated 27th January 2005.

"There are no plans to encourage Londoners to haggle with taxi drivers over fares.

Following last year`s Office of Fair trading nationwide report on Taxi and private hire regulations it was recommended that all UK local authorities should set fare tarrifs which represent the Maximum that can be charged, and not fixed on Minimum fares. In London this was infact already the case".

£2.00 minimum fare at all times. Distance shown in miles 1 2 &3.

6a.m. 8p.m. 10.p.m.

8p.m. 10p.m. 6.a.m.

1 £3.60 £4.00 £4.60

2 £5.40 £6.20 £7.40

3 £9.00 £10.80 £13.00.

The meter also automatically adds a charge based on time for any part of the journey when speed goes below 10.4 m.p.h.

So here we are winging about 5 baht or 10 baht at any time day or night.....maybe we don`t realize how lucky we are..

Yes, it is a small amount of money and baht buses are cheap.

I think what is unnerving is the uncertainty of it all, and living with the reality that if you annoy a baht bus driver they may hit you over the head with a baseball bat.

Personally, I would probably be happier if the price was higher, but it was the same for all runs, and you got a ticket that was good for your entire run (one direction during a time period) if the driver did something loopy. And the price was the same for everyone.

Not going to happen ...

Edited by Thaiquila

I recon even 5 baht is toooooooo much for that short journey.

Might suggest say Two and a Half (2.1/2)baht would be more realistic and if anyone (esp.rich farangskis) who are feeling magnanamous and a bit flush then they could leave the other 50 satang as a tip. :D

You WONT get a Thai (local) doing that........ :o

Try getting on one of the (white) baht busses on Sukhumvit. They will accept 5 baht as the fare from you as from locals. The problem is isolated around the tourist circuit.

@Pattaya_Fox: You forget some people LIVE here having a local income that is good .. as long as you can pay local prices, not Euro prices.

@SEAtramp: Actually I wouldn't care. I rarely use the bahtbusses. Sometimes if I can't find a parking in south pattaya I park the car in north and take a bahtbus south, that's about it.

Edited by madsere

SEAtramp: Actually I wouldn't care. I rarely use the bahtbusses. Sometimes if I can't find a parking in south pattaya I park the car in north and take a bahtbus south, that's about it

Can't find a place to park in south Pattaya !! *WHAT*? You could park a fleet of stretch limo's in south Pattaya. :o

I think what is unnerving is the uncertainty of it all, and living with the reality that if you annoy a baht bus driver they may hit you over the head with a baseball bat.

Don't annoy them, then. Just pay the 10 baht and remove any unnerving uncertainty that may ruin your trip.

What's so hard about that?

Good advice, but if you read my post the two times I had a problem I DID PAY 10 BAHT! Give em an arm and they'll take a leg.

No NOT true..........PorKey Pie :D

and

quote: if you annoy a baht bus driver they may hit you over the head with a baseball bat.

Answer ...Carry your own Baseball bat....

and believe it or not if you have any hassle with the take their Number (written on the side of their dump truck)and report them(assuming you were quicker with your bat. :D )

and Finally dont forget to ask for a receipt for your 10bt journey(as evidence) :o

bus station to beach road: 20

up soi2 to north road: 05

down beach road: 05

dolphin roundabout to tesco: 05

dolphin roundabout to bus sta: 10 (rip)

over hill (jomtien): 10

soi bukhao: 05

central road from 2 to sukhumvhit (either way): 05

give the money EXACT CHG and walk away. if there are two of you, each give exact money.

khon thai hai ha baht, falang hai same same! < if harrassed.

dont get into empty songtaew

walk when possible

you might want to note the ## when you get into the bus, if hassled -rattle the ## back to them in thai (you remember) and say tourist police. methinks it all ends there.

Edited by h5n1

last year coming back from bkk with luggage I had to get to pattaya land &house.Bus station taxis would take no less than 200 baht.

Had to use one because of medium sized case and shoulder bag..

in bkk i could get a meter cab from patpong to si cowboy and back for the same price.

I pay 5 baht in town ..do not agree with the 'lets show the thais how rich I am brigade' who suggest..go on give them 10 baht....

same guys are usually to be seen in town with 4-5 girls around them in the bars..all holding bunches of roses and a few half drunk glasses in front of them...

I just dislike being taken for an idiot.

p414

not only that but the women actually disrepect a man that tosses his money around. esp if its the gf - if nothing else she knows the money is limited and it could/should be tossed her way.

but moreover - its waste and these ladies dont respect it. sure they want to be the benefactor -who wouldnt. but if you ask any women would she like to be with a man who takes care or is out and about tossing money like the pied piper -guess what the reply will be.

now, of course this is different than a guy being a good joe and buying a meal, a nice tip, a bottle for the beach... but squandering money, not respected jing!

The following is information which I have taken from a publication issued by the Public Carriage Office transport for London press release dated 27th January 2005.

"There are no plans to encourage Londoners to haggle with taxi drivers over fares.

Following last year`s Office of Fair trading nationwide report on Taxi and private hire regulations it was recommended that all UK local authorities should set fare tarrifs which represent the Maximum that can be charged, and not fixed on Minimum fares. In London this was infact already the case".

6a.m.               8p.m.             10.p.m.

8p.m.               10p.m.            6.a.m.

1                       £3.60               £4.00             £4.60

2                       £5.40               £6.20              £7.40

3                       £9.00               £10.80            £13.00.

The meter also automatically adds a charge based on time for any part of the journey when speed goes below 10.4 m.p.h.

So here we are winging about 5 baht or 10 baht at any time day or night.....maybe we don`t realize how lucky we are..

Another one 'pay what they ask'...

Have you any idea of what a london black cab driver has to do to get his license?

First is to learn all the obscure places of london and the best.memorise every road which includes where the same road changes names about 3 times in a mile or so.

He then has to sit opposite an inquisitor and from memory say how to get from ,say. lords cricket ground to an obscure block of flats in Streatham-exact entry points-...app. 10 questions each visit...

his cab costs a fortune and must be kept spotless or he will lose his license..

He nowadays has the east european asylum seekers to contend with who hang around outside clubs offering cheaper taxi services...Plus the weirdo passengers he is likely to encounter.

Edited by p414

6a.m.               8p.m.             10.p.m.

8p.m.               10p.m.            6.a.m.

1                       £3.60               £4.00             £4.60

2                       £5.40               £6.20              £7.40

3                       £9.00               £10.80            £13.00.

Another one 'pay what they ask'...

Have you any idea of what a london black cab driver has to do to get his license?

First is to learn all the obscure places of london and the best.memorise every road which includes where the same road changes names about 3 times in a mile or so.

He then has to sit opposite an inquisitor and from memory say how to get from ,say. lords cricket ground to an obscure block of flats in Streatham-exact entry points-...app. 10 questions each visit...

his cab costs a fortune and must be kept spotless or he will lose his license..

He nowadays has the east european asylum seekers to contend with who hang around outside clubs offering cheaper taxi services...Plus the weirdo passengers he is likely to encounter.

Come on p414 don`t get ` carried away`. I pay 10 baht for local rides in Pattaya and if going anywhere not on the normal routes I of course negotiate the price first.

But it seems that even you have to pay the asking price sometimes i.e. 200baht which you previously mentioned.

And yep the London Cabbies must have a real hard life compared to the baht bus drivers :o

bus station to beach road: 20

up soi2 to north road: 05

down beach road: 05

dolphin roundabout to tesco: 05

dolphin roundabout to bus sta: 10 (rip)

over hill (jomtien): 10

soi bukhao: 05

central road from 2 to sukhumvhit (either way): 05

give the money EXACT CHG and walk away. if there are two of you, each give exact money.

khon thai hai ha baht, falang hai same same! < if harrassed.

dont get into empty songtaew

walk when possible

you might want to note the ## when you get into the bus, if hassled -rattle the ## back to them in thai (you remember) and say tourist police. methinks it all ends there.

....and I thought that Pattaya was all about relaxing and enjoyment...... :o

I have almost given up using baht buses and walk instead. If I do get one to Big C or Naklua I always give 20, particularly after dark.

I have a few bad experiences with crazy baht bus drivers;

Driving off with my hand trapped

Not stopping when I ring the bell

Driving off without giving change

Reversing back into me

Money thrown back

Wilson Steer