Baht Buses

Thaiquila

Also, has anyone heard of this rich one:

I was told by a Thai companion that when a Thai is travelling with a farang, the farang is expected to pay the farang fare rate for the Thai.

Farang fares are absurd enough; this "custom" is over the top for me.

The solution of course is to have to Thai person pay their own fare separately.

I have also paid 15 baht when travelling with a Thai, one farang plus one Thai, thank you sir, and no objection from the driver.

Anyway, I am wondering if there are any comments about these details, so to help us solve the mysteries of the baht bus fares.

When taking a baht bus with a thai lady I just give him 10 baht for the both of us. The driver doesn't really know who to argue with... did he receive 10 baht from the farang or 5 and 5. As long as you dont stand around to discuss it you should be ok.

I have almost given up using baht buses and walk instead. If I do get one to Big C or Naklua I always give 20, particularly after dark.

I have a few bad experiences with crazy baht bus drivers;

Driving off with my hand trapped

Not stopping when I ring the bell

Driving off without giving change

Reversing back into me

Money thrown back

Wilson Steer

I always grab the vertical rail firmly these days before stepping on and off, after having a few nasty experiences of them setting off at the cruicial time of boarding or alighting.

I also soon get off quick if I get a crazy one driving like a maniac...you know the ones.. full revs and driving as if they had a kangaroo in the tank.

5 Baht? 10 Baht? What's the big deal over 5 Baht? Do that many people here have such an aversion to a guy working 18 hours a day to put food on his table?

Easy to say this.

It is far more than about 5 baht or 10 baht.

It is about dealing with double pricing on an everyday basis, fluid and vague "rules", and the threat of violence from driving thugs. Otherwise, love those buses!

Let's say 7 11 had double pricing for a bottle of water, but it was enforced in a vague manner and it depended on the personality of the clerk, the brand of the water, and the specific location of the store. You make a mistake and hand the clerk 10 baht instead of 20 baht (keep in mind there is no clear or marked price) and he hits you over the head with a baseball bat.

This is really not a good situation. Welcome to the baht bus mafia.

Edited by Thaiquila

5 Baht? 10 Baht? What's the big deal over 5 Baht? Do that many people here have such an aversion to a guy working 18 hours a day to put food on his table?

Easy to say this.

It is about dealing with double pricing on an everyday basis, fluid and vague "rules", and the threat of violence from driving thugs. Otherwise, love those buses!

Let's say 7 11 had double pricing for a bottle of water, but it was enforced in a vague manner and it depended on the personality of the clerk, the brand of the water, and the specific location of the store. You make a mistake and hand the clerk 10 baht instead of 20 baht (keep in mind there is no clear or marked price) and he hits you over the head with a baseball bat.

This is why I use a regular motorbike taxi. Quicker and more fun. I only use a baht bus when taking home a load of groceries from Big C.

Easy to say this.

If you are so concerned about double pricing, OI would suggest that you buy your own house and car (if you have not already done so) and stick to visiting farang-run establishments (shops and entertainment) where a one-price-for-all policy exists. The fact that these will be higher prices is immaterial, you would be happy.

Where I work, I receive a European salary, whereas all my colleagues receive Thai salaries. I buy my 20 baht breakfast and lunch at the same counter as they do, but I also have an espresso coffee from time to time. Regrettably my colleagues cannot afford to indulge themselves often.

And before you start talking about everyone should earn the same - what would happen to employment in SEAsia if that were the case. I can tell you now - all manufacturing would be back in Europe and the US, where the man-hour productivity is so much higher. (Germany excepted, these days :o )

Two-tier pricing enables the local worker to be able to afford some 'luxuries' while enabling the vendor to make a better profit from the farang supplement. Without that, all prices could very well be higher, to the detriment of the local worker.

Easy to say this.

If you are so concerned about double pricing, OI would suggest that you buy your own house and car (if you have not already done so) and stick to visiting farang-run establishments (shops and entertainment) where a one-price-for-all policy exists. The fact that these will be higher prices is immaterial, you would be happy.

Where I work, I receive a European salary, whereas all my colleagues receive Thai salaries. I buy my 20 baht breakfast and lunch at the same counter as they do, but I also have an espresso coffee from time to time. Regrettably my colleagues cannot afford to indulge themselves often.

And before you start talking about everyone should earn the same - what would happen to employment in SEAsia if that were the case. I can tell you now - all manufacturing would be back in Europe and the US, where the man-hour productivity is so much higher. (Germany excepted, these days :o )

Two-tier pricing enables the local worker to be able to afford some 'luxuries' while enabling the vendor to make a better profit from the farang supplement. Without that, all prices could very well be higher, to the detriment of the local worker.

Personally, I accept double pricing as one of the negative realities of life in Thailand. Doesn't mean people have to like it or think it is rational or desirable.

Double pricing is a totally separate issue from wage differentials.

The reality is that a lot of farang residents in Pattaya are not at all wealthy, and it is objectively unjust that they should be taxed for skin color.

It is one thing accepting double pricing as a reality, it is another embracing it as a wonderful thing.

Thaiquila - I understand what you're saying, but when you state that some expats are not well-off, what are you comparing them to?

Most of my workers are lucky to see 20-25 thou' per month.

To be legally resident here as an expat, you must show 40 thou (married to Thai) or 80 thou (single or married to a non-Thai). This is a basic living standard for an expat, but an unattainable dream for more than 50% of Thais. Although the new PM does promise more.

Thaiquila - I understand what you're saying, but when you state that some expats are not well-off, what are you comparing them to?

Most of my workers are lucky to see 20-25 thou' per month.

To be legally resident here as an expat, you must show 40 thou (married to Thai) or 80 thou (single or married to a non-Thai). This is a basic living standard for an expat, but an unattainable dream for more than 50% of Thais. Although the new PM does promise more.

You are thinking like a Thai seeing foreigners as walking ATMs.

You can take that as a compliment or an insult, up to you.

Prices are prices.

Ideally, they should not discriminate.