Laptop For An Ignorant

JulesTH

OK, I admit it. I am one of those users of PC's that have no idea why things work when they do and -even worse- what to look for when they don't.

I spent the last 2 hours searching this forum for information I can sufficiently understand, but haven't gotten much further than I was before.

MY PROBLEM:

I need to buy a laptop and have no idea how to choose one (well, not much of one, anyway). All these IT-terms are like an alien language to me. Can somebody possibly explain in simple words, what I should look out for? Good and bad! (my budget is about 50k Bht)

I will use it for the normal word editing, spreadsheet and presentation applications (Microsoft Office on my desktop), I need some graphical capability to work with photo editing and Photoshop, want to watch DVD's, need to be able to connect to the Internet (mobile and international, if possible, as I won't have a fixed tel-line for a while) and nothing much else.

- any recommendations on Brands to buy or to stay away from (was almost ready to buy Acer until I saw one post completely trashing it :o )

- what is a reasonable system (lot's of shops in Fortune Town seem to sell Linux. How compatible is that with standard software?)

- minimum memory, speed, spec for graphics cards ...

- what is this 32- / 64-bit thingy? just speed or more than that?

- is wireless LAN connection a must or not?

- where do I have to go to get licensed systems on it (or should I not bother?)

- anything else?

I know, a lot of the answers to my questions are also a matter of personal preference and experience with one or the other. Yet, is there any simple and objective way of comparing things that matter?

Any help here is highly appreciated.

Jules

There are more considerations in buying a notebook than in buying a PC. Many things can't be changed, such as the screen, cd drive, and the keyboard, and so you have to be sure that you're OK with those things. Weight is a big consideration if you're going to travel a lot.

Having said all that, 50k will get you a middling to low spec notebook. To answer your questions:

- any recommendations on Brands to buy or to stay away from (was almost ready to buy Acer until I saw one post completely trashing it )

There is no definite "brand" to go for or avoid. Things change fom model to model, so there may be praise for one model and complaints for another. I've gotten several Acer notebooks for friends with no problems.

- what is a reasonable system (lot's of shops in Fortune Town seem to sell Linux. How compatible is that with standard software?)

If you want compatibility, get Windows XP Pro. The bundled OS is usually Linux, since it costs nothing, and so adds nothing to the sell cost. You can get the illegal copy Windows XP or get a licensed OEM version for about 8,000 baht from the hardware stores.

Most come with 256MB, you should get it expanded to 512MB, since notebooks are very memory intensive. Speed is really up to you, no need to get the best. Any graphics card is ok, if you're not doing 3D (and 3D games). Otherwise, there are few that will do it well, and those few are usually over your budget. Remember, you *can't* change the graphics (or the CPU).

No need to worry about it for now, at least in the notebook sector.

A must for travelers. Should be standard in nearly all notebooks now.

Look above.

Currently, the preferred system is a "Centrino" system. Everything else is up to what you will use the notebook for (3D? Speed? CD/DVD writing?).

Laptops are expensive, not so reliable, tend to overheat, and cost a fortune to repair. Do you really need one? I think you should go with a desktop every time. You can make it light enough to carry around if you only need the odd occasion to take it somewhere.

Oherwise get a really cheap cheap cheap old laptop, and a desktop too. will come to less than 50k and you can do your typing and email on even an ancient low spec laptop, and do your real work at home on the desktop. Of course, we don't know your situation, and this might not be feasible

Laptops are expensive, not so reliable, tend to overheat, and cost a fortune to repair. Do you really need one? I think you should go with a desktop every time. You can make it light enough to carry around if you only need the odd occasion to take it somewhere.

Oherwise get a really cheap cheap cheap old laptop, and a desktop too. will come to less than 50k and you can do your typing and email on even an ancient low spec laptop, and do your real work at home on the desktop. Of course, we don't know your situation, and this might not be feasible

I think this is good advice for most people, though the point is made a bit too strongly.

A quality laptop is easily justified for many individuals.

OK, I admit it. I am one of those users of PC's that have no idea why things work when they do and -even worse- what to look for when they don't.

I spent the last 2 hours searching this forum for information I can sufficiently understand, but haven't gotten much further than I was before.

MY PROBLEM:

I need to buy a laptop and have no idea how to choose one (well, not much of one, anyway). All these IT-terms are like an alien language to me. Can somebody possibly explain in simple words, what I should look out for? Good and bad! (my budget is about 50k Bht)

I will use it for the normal word editing, spreadsheet and presentation applications (Microsoft Office on my desktop), I need some graphical capability to work with photo editing and Photoshop, want to watch DVD's, need to be able to connect to the Internet (mobile and international, if possible, as I won't have a fixed tel-line for a while) and nothing much else.

- any recommendations on Brands to buy or to stay away from (was almost ready to buy Acer until I saw one post completely trashing it  :o )

- what is a reasonable system  (lot's of shops in Fortune Town seem to sell Linux. How compatible is that with standard software?)

- anything else?

I know, a lot of the answers to my questions are also a matter of personal preference and experience with one or the other. Yet, is there any simple and objective way of comparing things that matter?

Any help here is highly appreciated.

Jules

i have had acer laptop's for +/- 8 yrs and never had a problem with them :D

just last month i bought a new one, as i like to update it every 2 yrs or so :D

the key is size of screen, disc space (min 80gb), i now like at least 1024 ram, centrino, wireless lan, blue tooth and good graphics program :D

i now have a 15.4" widescreen and absolutely love it, at just under 3kg, its more a desktop replacement and even though i travel a lot, i have a trolley bag so the weight is not so much of an issue :D

i still stick to xp, just because everything seems to work with it, and use firefox for web and thunderbird for email :D

Listen to Pandit.

Do you plan to travel outside Thailand with the laptop?

If so buy a brand name model like Acer, HP, Compaq, Toshiba

as they will have worldwide gurarntees, to protect you if you have a problem overseas.

do anything but get HP....

i used HP for 2 years....last year it suddenly went blank, definately a hardware issue....

bought in bangkok with international warranty...i took it to the HP center in Hat Yai(southern thailand)...it took them 15 days and a lota firing frm me to repair it....

the reasons given - the bangkok center sent the spare part(mainboard and cpu in this case) to phuket by mistake and they are tracking it....

if it were a desktop i could have replaced the mother board myself for like 5000 bahts.....but again...depends if u need the mobility...

now have a vaio no problems with it...

if you are looking for a gr8 value for money in yr budjet go for acer. they have gr8 service....

Most of the laptops from Sony, Toshiba, and Fujitsu (the big 3 Jap brands) are way beyond the budget given. Acer and HP/Compaq are much more in the price range, and some IBM models are also fairly cheap.

I also suggest getting a desktop if you don't actually require the mobility of a notebook. You can get a lot more for your money.

Make sure you get/pay for an extended & international warranty. Most computer repairers aren't keen to fiddle with laptops so they have to go back to the manufacturers for repairs.

I've only had to send mine back once (had it for 2.5 yrs, bought it in Oz) - spilt a glass of beer on it a couple of months ago.....Toshiba in BKK replaced the keyboard for free.

I'd would always choose a laptop over a desktop (if money isn't an issue) - its great to do your computing anywhere.

Two advantages. First, 64-bits gives more performance 3 ways: (1) you can install a 64-bit operating system, (2) run 64-bit applications, and (3) break the 4GB memory limit barrier. When running 64-bit apps, a 64-bit laptop soundly smokes any 32-bit desktop. Besides performance, there is speculation that in as little as 2 years time, Microsoft will stop releasing 32-bit software meaning 64-bits also gives you a longer upgrade path in the case you want to keep the laptop a long time and stay up to date with the latest software.

For a laptop CPU, there are two ways to go right now. Either go for ultra long battery life or performance+upgradability. Right now it is an either/or situation. If long battery life is desired, go Intel Centrino. If performance+upgradability is desired, go AMD-64. It's not a great time to buy a laptop because of this either/or situation. This will change once AMD ships their brand new Turion processor line which may be in a matter of days. Turion is a 64-bit laptop processor and press "leaks" show better battery life than Centrino making it the best of both worlds. The next major event will be Intel adding 64-bits to Centrino, but I haven't seen a date for that so it could be far off.

2005 is the year of 64-bits coming of age. Expect next year the standard to be every desktop and laptop has a 64-bit processor and is pre-installed with a 64-bit operating system (Windows x64, Linux, Mac, etc). Thus, the smart money is probably to wait for laptops equipped with Turion unless AMD charges a premium for them.

Edited by The Coder

To everyone who replied to my question:

Thanks for the great advice! :D

Few comments: I have a desktop, but no way I can carry that anywhere, so it will have to go in storage for a while as I'm "between locations". That includes living between Europe and Thailand and wherever else the fancy takes me. That's why I need a laptop. Also want to use it to watch my DVD's 'on-the-go'.

As I have a desktop for major work, I don't really need highest spec, yet, some graphic capability is required for my generic photo work and some design stuff.

I will reconsider the Acer as they all come with bluetooth and are decently priced. Yet, they seem to be married with Linux and/or a 'not so licensed' XP home. Pantip Plaza have a laptop promotion going on at the moment and I saw that Vaio's come with a lot of software preinstalled . Good for me and I would assume also better if I need service in Europe. (but no bluetooth :D )

I wish this wasn't so difficult ... :o

Jules

linux is good. good support forums, and it runs quicker on limited hardware. Not-so-legit XP also works fine, but you can easily buy a copy of it and instal over the top of the one that comes with the computer. Not an issue. Just look at the hardware specs. Or get a Mac - sounds good for what you need it for.