Taking Thai Wife And Child Back To The Uk

Hi Guys

As a newbie on this blog I have been a regular vistor of Thai visa for about 5 years, I am writing this to help others who may be in similar hopeless situation as I myself, who was at his witsend. No I am not a benefit scrounger,having worked for 40 years and paid my UK TAXES AND NI CONTRIBUTIONS,so please no Flaming, this is merely to help other guys in a similar hopeless situation.

I can on topic give you my experience of returning to the the UK after 7 years in Thailand for reasons I wont go into on this site (email me if you want more in depth info)

Arrived at Heathrow,sailed through as a British Citizen and as one should expect.

My mate put me up for 2 months,while I went through, re establising my right of abode/citizenship and the need to claim benefits through ill health (In Thailand I paid for my own treatment until it became financialy impossible). Yes you can try to make a claim for whatever you want with exceptions mainly on employment i.e Jobseekers allowance (too many migrants flitting over the channel to claim benefits),its all changed now all claims are done by phone expect 30-40 minutes on the phone,without all your paperwork on hand,you have to skip many questions which will come through the post 2-3 weeks later for correction.

Then you will get hit with the letter that says you have been out of the UK for x number of years and now have basically prove your right of abode/residency in the UK," country of birthright,.

Someone will contact you to make an appointment to interview you to take the HRT (Habitual Residency Test) at this stage I hadnt a clue what was involved, a few weeks later a very nice Lady came along and gave me a 1.25 hour interview/grilling, along the lines of why have you come back/ what are your reasons to be here in the first place and a hundred and one other questions.

At this stage you are beginning to feel like an illegal immigrant (very depressing) but dont take it personal.

However I must say I had very courtious and respectful treatment and a credit to the system, humane with it as well, when I said to the lady who's job it was to interview me"I feel bad about this and would rather not be claiming" she replied non committaly "You are a British Citizen for Gods sake" implying its your rights.

So all you Guys out there who listen to the Know all Bar room lawyers,jobes comforters,and doom mongers,dont listen to them,you still have your Birth rights and your country behind you if needs be, lessened as they may be. If you cant go home in times of need,where the F*** can you go.If you have paid your dues in the UK all your doing is taking up your rights,which most of us have paid our dues into the system.

Hope this posting has been of some help to someone out there.

MAJIC

Majic,

Thank you for that very detailed exposition of your experience on returning to the system after several years away. I thought I'd read somewhere that you are barred from NHS treatment for up to 6 months after returning - was that also your experience?

I assume that if one has missed out on the increments in the State Pension, the process for getting re-instated would be pretty much the same as you have described.